[news.groups] soc.culture.vietnamese

tran@peora.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) (01/23/90)

   It doesn't matter whether the name is soc.culture.vietnam or vietnamese.
Believe me, the discussion will be on anything about Vietnam and/or Vietnamese.
Although the group name has `culture' in it, culture won't be the major subject
for discussion.

   Some said that we have ~4 weeks to debate whether the group should be
created.  How is it decided after that period?  How is the group created?
How is the voting process?

   My vote for
        should soc.culture.vietnamese be created:  YES
                 when it's time to vote, my vote:  YES

Nhan Tran
email: peora!tran
       tran@peora.ccur.com

randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson) (02/06/90)

I urge everyone to vote NO to this proposal because its charter
is excessively broad and in particular because the proposed
charter explicitly includes politics which under the USENET
guidelines and net.custom belongs in talk.politics.* rather than
in a soc.culture.* group.

I predict now that this group will become as noisy and flame-infested
as soc.culture.china has proved to be over the past two years.

Were the group moderated suitably and politics excluded, my position
would change.

  Ran
  randall@virginia.edu

aitrangt@alcor.usc.edu (Aitrang Tran) (02/06/90)

Regarding the politics mentioned in the charter of soc.culture.vietnamese,
I think it means to be the government & politics of Vietnam right now..
Politics also fall under the culture of one people... We are limiting
to Vietnamese related issue, not just general politics.........

I do agree that the issues under soc.culture.vietnamese are rather broad,
but if everything fall under culture then we just have to live with
it, since we can't split it up further under USENET right now..

UsC-uSc-UsC-uSc-UsC-uSc-UsC-uSc-UsC-uSc-UsC-uScU-sC-uSc-UsC-uSc-UsC-uSc-UsC-uSc
		  University of Southern California
			aitrangt@chaph.usc.edu
			  Tra^`n Ha?i Tra.ng

In article <7884@chaph.usc.edu> aitrangt@alcor.usc.edu () writes:
>Regarding the politics mentioned in the charter of soc.culture.vietnamese,
>I think it means to be the government & politics of Vietnam right now..
>Politics also fall under the culture of one people... We are limiting
>to Vietnamese related issue, not just general politics.........

The vote is on the charter as worded in the CALL FOR VOTES and no where
in that charter does it say government and politics of Viet-Nam only and
many many people will read that charter and point to it and say see
here where it allows politics so American politics of the war in Viet-Nam
is allowed here explicitly.

>I do agree that the issues under soc.culture.vietnamese are rather broad,
>but if everything fall under culture then we just have to live with
>it, since we can't split it up further under USENET right now..

I do not accept that "politics" necessarily is part of culture
and certainly it is NOT the case that we cannot exclude politics
from soc.culture.vietnamese.  Under USENET guidelines and custom,
the charter could have said no politics here or only politics of
Vietnamese in Vietnam (no foreign politics) or whatever.  The
proposer chose not to do this, but it could have been done under
USENET rules.

The charter should have restricted itself to culture and language and
since it hasn't, I urge others to vote NO now and prevent another
flamefest in the soc groups like soc.culture.china has become.

  Ran

dveditz@dbase.A-T.COM (Dan Veditz) (02/07/90)

randall@uvaarpa.Virginia.EDU (Randall Atkinson) writes:
> The vote is on the charter as worded in the CALL FOR VOTES [....]

I've been watching news.announce.newgroups for this one and never
saw it.  Could someone please mail me the Call For Votes on
soc.culture.vietnamese -- our newsfeed must have hiccupped again.

-Dan Veditz     {uunet,cepu}!ashtate!dveditz
		dveditz@dbase.A-T.com