[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION --DEPECHE MODE NEWSGROUP

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (02/03/90)

In article <18966@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Danno) writes:
> While I like the idea, I'm not sure that there's so much Depeche Mode
> being discussed that we need a newsgroup.  What about a mailing list?

I went and looked in rec.music.misc. With a 14 day expire (oldest article
was 1/20, today is 2/2) I found 934 articles, with 38 that mentioned this
bunch in some way. That figures out to 4%.

38 postings in 14 days is not anywhere near enough traffic for a
newsgroup, IMHO. Go with a mailing list until you've got about 200
names on it--then, you'll have enough people to vote in a group,
and enough posters to justify it.

Flames to TROUNDS@BITNET

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (02/06/90)

In article <429.25c59544@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu> v055n6j3@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>                 Proposal for Depeche Mode Music Newsgroup.
>                          Rec.Music.DepecheMode

There are many bands that are as deserving of a newsgroup as DM,
and I don't think splitting off newsgroups left, right and centre will
do much good.  Now if you were suggesting a group with a much broader
charter that covered much electronic/dance/indie/whatever-it-is,
I might be tempted to vote for it.........
Besides - the traffic in r.m.misc isn't too much for the 'k' key to handle!
--
\/ato.  vato@uk.ac.warwick.  *NIX gives good head.  Support the FSF.  Plinth.
"When it's a smoking charred stump, that's too much.

hbchan@tiger.waterloo.edu (Samuel Chan) (02/08/90)

  Despite the fact that I myself is a great DM fan, I'm not in favour
of the newsgroup as proposed.  The traffic of DM stuff is just not heavy
enough to hog rec.music.misc, as we can see.

  Nevertheless I think it's time to start a DM mailing list (if there's
none so far), to which I'll be very glad to subscribe.

Samuel Chan                     || hbchan@tiger.waterloo.{bitnet|cdn|edu}
(c/o) University of Waterloo    || hbchan@tiger.uwaterloo.ca
Voice: (519) 745 - 0810         || ...!uunet!watmath!tiger!hbchan