[news.groups] New hierarchy

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (02/02/90)

I should have guessed that only Karen could have gotten Robert
Tracinski to submit a friendly posting! {|8^)]

The idea of breaking out a new hum hierarchy is excellent, and
would eliminate some, if not all, of the trevail of zapping
sci as Chuq suggested.   It also can spare some groups the
*perceived* ignominy of being placed in talk without a
Sextonian dodge for purposes of sneaking past siteadmins.

Indeed, one might describe the idea as a hum-dinger!

Now: what are the rules/guidelines for newhierarchying?

Also: Who is John Galt?

BTW: Today is the 85th anniversary of Ayn Rand's birth.

Jeff Daiell

--
            "She sounded like a very nice woman, but, of
            course, that's no reason for getting married."

                            --  C. E. "Billie" Daiell

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/04/90)

In article <9JH1AC9xds8@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:
   Now: what are the rules/guidelines for newhierarchying?

There is no rule, only technique and politeness.  Add ",xyz," to your
own sys line.  Offer to exchange it with your neighbors.  If they want
it, add ",xyz," to their lines in your sys file.  If they say they
don't want it, don't change their sys lines because to do so would be
impolite.

If they want, they can offer to exchange ",xyz," with their neighbors.
Before long, you've got a movement.  ",gnu," began to spread by just
such quiet methods between consenting adults a couple of years ago,
and now has well-connected propagation of 80-90%.  There are other
similar success stories.

tp@mccall.uucp (02/07/90)

In article <BOB.90Feb4012331@volitans.MorningStar.Com>, bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> In article <9JH1AC9xds8@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:
>    Now: what are the rules/guidelines for newhierarchying?
>
> There is no rule, only technique and politeness.  Add ",xyz," to your
> own sys line.  Offer to exchange it with your neighbors.  If they want
> it, add ",xyz," to their lines in your sys file.  If they say they
> don't want it, don't change their sys lines because to do so would be
> impolite.
>
> If they want, they can offer to exchange ",xyz," with their neighbors.
> Before long, you've got a movement.  ",gnu," began to spread by just
> such quiet methods between consenting adults a couple of years ago,
> and now has well-connected propagation of 80-90%.  There are other
> similar success stories.

That is the slow but painless way. Not that I'm advocating it, but there is
an alternate approach. When I created the vmsnet heirarchy (for the
discussion of VMS related issues), I started by getting uunet to carry it.
Then I sent mail to the top 100 sites according to the news propagation
stats in news.lists asking them to carry it.

Concurrently with that, I announced the existance of the hierarchy in
news.admin and comp.os.vms (where much of the potential audience was). I
also offered to help people find feeds for the groups, and asked those who
did choose to carry them for info on who they connect to (which I used to
help people find feeds).

Getting most major sites to carry the hierarchy was quite easy (thanks,
guys!). Helping people find feeds was easy in most cases, because most
people are relatively near (in terms of news hops) to a major site. Some
were harder, just because of local news topologies.

The upshot is that there were over 150 sites carrying the distribution
within 2 weeks. I'm not saying this is the way to do it. It took a fair bit
of work, and I got profusely flamed in news.admin, and spent a great deal
of time explaining myself in response to those flames so that everyone
would understand what I was doing. But it is very probably faster than the
method above (although certainly not as painless).

I guess the deciding factor would be what you envision for the size of your
potential user community.
--
Terry Poot (800)255-2762, in Kansas (913)776-4041
The McCall Pattern Company, 615 McCall Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502, USA

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/09/90)

In article <2113.25cf052b@mccall.uucp> tp@mccall.uucp writes:
   In article <BOB.90Feb4012331@volitans.MorningStar.Com>, bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:

      Offer to exchange it with your neighbors...  If they want, they
      can offer to exchange [it] with their neighbors.  Before long,
      you've got a movement.

   That is the slow but painless way...  there is an alternate
   approach... [describes broadcast announcements]...  The upshot is
   that there were over 150 sites carrying the distribution within 2
   weeks...  But it is very probably faster than the method above
   (although certainly not as painless).

Depends upon your temperament and your tendency to masochism :-) I
prefer slow discipleship to Luis Palau/Billy Graham-style mass
crusades, too.

   I guess the deciding factor would be what you envision for the size
   of your potential user community.

Well, gnu.* seems to be well-distributed to a pretty huge community.
Regardless, I just wanted it for my own convenience and figured others
might like it too.  It grew like mildew inside a shower curtain.
There was no real marketing involved.