[news.groups] A hum hierarchy

mehuld@APEE.OGI.EDU (Mehul Dave) (02/08/90)

There seems to be good support for creating a new hierarchy for
humanities.  I think its a great idea.  Well, so how about it?  Any
suggestions/opinions/disagreements etc?  This should also be
accompanied by shifting the existing newsgroup relating to humanities
scattered in the other hierarchies right now.  From the postings in the
past few weeks here, I gather that creating a new hierarchy would is
quite difficult and takes a lot of effort.  Any USENET gurus have any
suggestions on this?  Someone mentioned that he helped create the sci
hierarchy.  May be he or someone else who knows how to do this can
comment on this.

--
--Mehul Dave--                          (INTERNET :- mehuld@apee.ogi.edu)

"But I lean on no dead kin, my name is mine for fame or scorn
And the world began when I was born and the world is mine to win"
							  --Badger Clark--

karl@ficc.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/09/90)

A new hum hierarchy isn't free.  Ten thousand site admins have to do some
fiddling to set up support for it.  I'm not sure it's worth it for such
a minor, and still endlessly debatable as to meaning, subdivision.

One the other hand, it would be a whole new hierarchy to propose newgroups
for, and to propose groups to be moved to, etc, etc, so it should generate
a lot more traffic in news groups, so that's real good, right?  :-(
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl "...as long as there is a Legion of super-Heroes,
   uunet!sugar!karl       all else can surely be made right."   -- Sensor Girl

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (02/09/90)

In article <HIM16_2xds12@ficc.uu.net>, karl@ficc.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
> A new hum hierarchy isn't free.  Ten thousand site admins have to do some
> fiddling to set up support for it.  I'm not sure it's worth it for such
> a minor, and still endlessly debatable as to meaning, subdivision.

Karl, I see your point (remember that when considering your insurance
needs!  <inside joke>), but I also see the value of distinguishing
between 'hard' and 'soft' sciences (that sounds better than saying
'natural' and 'unnatural' sciences {|8^)] ).

So perhaps we should divide sci?  sci.hard and sci.soft?  Or
sci.nat and sci.hum?

Regardless, the distinction should be made.

Your loyal friend who always tells charming single women how great
a guy you are,

Jeff

--

                     Thank you for not coercing.