[news.groups] 3D camcorder

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (02/07/90)

In article <14039@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>It would be *really* neat if you could display the object using some
>stereo glasses like the Haitek 3D LCD glasses costing about $120.
>
>So, anyone given some thought toward 4D raytracing???? Hmmmm? :-)
>
>Sean

Of interest to the folks proposing a 3D photography newsgroup, and
brought to mind by Sean's question:

The latest Hammacher Schlemmer catalog (phone 1-800-543-3366 to order! ;-)
lists item 15526C @ $4495.00 [and item 15527C (Extra set of LCD
glasses) @ $175.00]:

"The Only 3-Dimensional Camcorder."

"The product of five years of scientific research and development,
this stereoscopic camcorder allows you to make 3-D movies and play
them directly back onto your television monitor or through any
conventional VCR.  Designed with two auto-focus lenses, it sees two
images simultaneously, each from a slightly different angle.  When
played back on the screen, an electronic adaptor synchronizes the two
images with the right and left lenses of the special set of electronic
LCD viewing glasses (included), combining them into one stereoscopic
picture that creates the illusion of depth and varying distances.  The
camcorder also makes standard '2-dimensional' video tapes.  Its
shutter stops action at 1/1000 of a second, and an automatic exposure
control and white balance ensure proper results under various
lighting conditions.  Removable microphone, wireless 21-function
remote control.  Includes rechargable battery pack, AC adaptor,
cassette A/V adaptor, and shoulder strap.  Length: 10 1/4".  Weight:
2.8 lbs."

A bit steep for Casa Xanth, but perhaps of interest to others.  From
the accompanying photograph, the lens separation is about the same as
a human's interocular distance, so the stereoscopic effect is going to
be a bit wimpy, I'd guess.  Somebody tell me about that "shutter"; is
that the gating signal to a set of CCD arrays, or is there a real
physical shutter in a camcorder?
--
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

xanthian@well.sf.ca.us (Kent Paul Dolan)
xanthian@ads.com - expiring soon; please use Well address for replies.
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available as a build-a-xanthian
kit at better toy stores near you.  Warning - some parts proven fragile.
-> METAFONT, TeX, graphics programming done on spec -- (415) 964-4486 <-

lmeyer@well.sf.ca.us (lhary meyer) (02/09/90)

Yes there is a LCD shutter in the Toshiba 3D corder. The image flickers, is
dim and doesn't always come up in phase (left image=left eye). Strictly
a toy for the idle rich!

PS the 3D photography group exists already as a newsgroup. Email me for
signup info.