[news.groups] soc.drugs

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (02/07/90)

	What does anyone think about the idea of a soc.drugs newsgroups?

	With the increased public awareness of the drug issue: drug
abuse, drug testing, drug wars, it seems it has become very much a
social issue, affecting our society more and more every day.

	In alt.drugs, alot of the discussion tends towards comments about
the drug war, how it affects our day-to-day lives, how it is affecting
the constitution, etc.  Current conditions and policies are comparable
to prohibition and other less favorable times.

	A 'mainstream' group to discuss societal impact might be a good
addition.

-wat-

   --- An it harm none, do what you will.

In article <131328@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:

>	What does anyone think about the idea of a soc.drugs newsgroups?
				[much deleted]
>	A 'mainstream' group to discuss societal impact might be a good
>addition.

Good group, bad name.  This sounds like a perfect candidate for
'talk.politics.drugs', with the other highly-charged political
issues.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

rwilliam@grebyn.com (Roger Williams) (02/07/90)

In article <131328@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:

>	What does anyone think about the idea of a soc.drugs newsgroups?

Actually, I've been thinking for some time now that talk.drugs
would be a good idea.  Articles on drugs have virtually taken
over misc.legal and constitute a goodly portion of the traffic in
talk.politics.misc.  The issue certainly appears suited for the
"talk" hierarchy.  It's a single issue which seems to generate
more heat than light.  I've been reluctant to propose it myself,
however, because of the recent creation of talk.rape and
talk.politics.guns didn't seem to have much effect in eliminating
traffic in other newsgroups on these subjects.

Roger Williams
rwilliam@grebyn.com

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/07/90)

How about rec.drugs?

  If a group is created to discuss drug issues, I think the term
"issues" should be in the name of the group, to make it clear that
discussion of where to get, how to use, and what it did still belongs in
alt.drugs.

  I don't see any need for this group, but I certainly don't oppose it
as long as the name makes the purpose so clear that a manager can
understand at a glance.

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (02/07/90)

In article <131328@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>	What does anyone think about the idea of a soc.drugs newsgroups?

>	With the increased public awareness of the drug issue: drug
>abuse, drug testing, drug wars, it seems it has become very much a
>social issue, affecting our society more and more every day.

>	In alt.drugs, alot of the discussion tends towards comments about
>the drug war, how it affects our day-to-day lives, how it is affecting
>the constitution, etc.  Current conditions and policies are comparable
>to prohibition and other less favorable times.

>	A 'mainstream' group to discuss societal impact might be a good
>addition.

I suspect the net isn't ready for it, but cases could be made for a whole range
of groups:

		soc.drugs 	- The effects of drug use on society, the
				drugs, etc.

		rec.drugs	- recreational uses of drugs

		rec.drugs.tobacco - The second most popular drug in the US

		rec.drugs.alcohol - relative merit of MD20/20 vs. Night Train?
				the most popular drug in the US

		rec.drugs.grass - Use of C. Sativa, C. Indica, and the other
				species whose name I always forget, along with
				prepared forms of the above, e.g. Hashish, Bhang,
				Charas, and so on.

		rec.drugs.coca	- Coca leave chewing and associated derivative
				forms such as cocaine, and crack.

		soc.religion.drug - discussions of the "drug cults", historical
				perspectives on drug use in religion, e.g. drug
				use in early christian churches

		talk.religion.drug - discussions about modern drug cults and
				drug use as a mean of finding god, or equiv.

		sci.ethnopharmacology - studies re traditional uses of plants

		misc.legal.drugs - legal aspects of drug use

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Capitalist democracy..must devise means to marginalize the population and

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (02/08/90)

From article <19349@grebyn.com>, by rwilliam@grebyn.com (Roger Williams):
> In article <131328@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>>
>>	What does anyone think about the idea of a soc.drugs newsgroups?
>>
> Actually, I've been thinking for some time now that talk.drugs
> would be a good idea.  Articles on drugs have virtually taken
> over misc.legal and constitute a goodly portion of the traffic in
> talk.politics.misc.  The issue certainly appears suited for the
> "talk" hierarchy.  It's a single issue which seems to generate

How about misc.legal.drugs or talk.politics.drugs.  This will keep
out discussion of the practice of using drugs, which will make system
administrators happy and is why alt.drugs was put in alt in the first
place.  If you make it look like it is discussing the legal issues
surrounding drugs or the politics of drugs, you'll have a better shot
than something like rec.drugs.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan@aqdata.uucp

tjo@its.bt.co.uk (Tim Oldham) (02/08/90)

In article <1990Feb7.030722.15380@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>In article <131328@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>>
>>	What does anyone think about the idea of a soc.drugs newsgroups?
>				[much deleted]
>>	A 'mainstream' group to discuss societal impact might be a good
>>addition.
>>
>Good group, bad name.  This sounds like a perfect candidate for
>'talk.politics.drugs', with the other highly-charged political
>issues.

I know this sounds silly, but if we could keep the word 'drug' out
of it, it might just stand a chance of being available in the UK.
Alt.drugs is censored by the UK backbone, and my hunch is that the
name upset The Powers That Be there. Alt.sex and alt.sex.bondage are
similarly censored.

I may be mistaken. If the charter was carefully worded, we might stand
a chance.

	Tim.
--
Tim Oldham, BT Applied Systems. tjo@its.bt.co.uk or ...!ukc!axion!its!tjo
``Asking questions is the best way to get answers.'' --- Philip Marlowe.

dfl@Think.COM (David Lively) (02/08/90)

In article <1990Feb7.030722.15380@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

   In article <131328@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:

   >	What does anyone think about the idea of a soc.drugs newsgroups?
				   [much deleted]
   >	A 'mainstream' group to discuss societal impact might be a good
   >addition.

   Good group, bad name.  This sounds like a perfect candidate for
   'talk.politics.drugs', with the other highly-charged political
   issues.

This sounds like a great idea.  It would make some of the alt.drugs purists
happy by removing the political discussions.  Being in the mainstream
groups would probably result in more diversity, so we (some of us) won't do
as much "preaching to the choir".  Of course, this might cause AT&T to drop
Usenet entirely :-)

David

In article <DFL.90Feb7151324@agrius.think.com> dfl@Think.COM (David Lively) writes:
> This sounds like a great idea.  It would make some of the alt.drugs purists
> happy by removing the political discussions.

And make others upset by removing any excuse for getting alt.drugs at their
site. I proposed an alt.drugs.politics a while ago, until this point was
brought up.

Personally I'd like to see this group. Apart from the political flame
wars, alt.drugs is more fun than reading Castenada. I do think it'd be
a problem for a large subset of the readership, though.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

In article <N85+{=@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> tjo@its.bt.co.uk (Tim Oldham) writes:
	[propsals for *.[*.].drugs]

>I know this sounds silly, but if we could keep the word 'drug' out
>of it, it might just stand a chance of being available in the UK.
>Alt.drugs is censored by the UK backbone, and my hunch is that the
>name upset The Powers That Be there. Alt.sex and alt.sex.bondage are
>similarly censored.

It is silly-- talk.politics.drugs is the appropriate name, and if the powers
that be there can't accept it, it is because they truly don't want any
discourse on drugs.  This group wouldn't be on drugs and how to use them,
it would be on the drug problem and how to stop it, the side-effects
of the so-called War on Drugs, etc, etc.  If the UK backbone wants to censor
that, their users will recognize that they AREN'T censoring it because of
the word 'drugs' in there.
But, if you want to be cryptic and really think it will fool the UK
censors, try talk.politics.cds (for Controlled Dangerous Substances)
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (02/08/90)

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:

}From article <19349@grebyn.com>, by rwilliam@grebyn.com (Roger Williams):
}> In article <131328@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
}>>
}>>	What does anyone think about the idea of a soc.drugs newsgroups?
}>>
}> Actually, I've been thinking for some time now that talk.drugs
}> would be a good idea.  Articles on drugs have virtually taken
}> over misc.legal and constitute a goodly portion of the traffic in
}> talk.politics.misc.  The issue certainly appears suited for the
}> "talk" hierarchy.  It's a single issue which seems to generate

}How about misc.legal.drugs or talk.politics.drugs.

As for naming and intent, I think that either of those would be great
places for the group to end up.  Much of the debate on drug policy
really properly belongs in talk.politics.drugs, but actually quite a
lot of it [and more, I would prefer!] discusses really legal matters:
questions of privacy, due process, judicial precedents, etc, and so it
wouldn't be completely inappropriate in the 'legal' part of the
hierarchy.  Altogether, though, I'd think that talk.politics.drugs is
probably its most apprpriate home.

Was there a formal "call for discussion" back at the beginning of this
thread?  If not, someone should start the clock on a real
discussion-period.

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02138
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (02/10/90)

    Well, I really had hoped that the group would be more used to
spread light & information than heat.  Something like a forum for
what is happening, what knew things are being done to fight drugs and
how it is affecting our freedoms.  Also information like the recently
posted article on the real causes of violence in relation to drugs,
etc.

    Is it possible to have such a group, or do people think that
talk.politics.drugs is the only way to go?

In article <131548@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:

>    Well, I really had hoped that the group would be more used to
>spread light & information than heat.  Something like a forum for
>what is happening, what knew things are being done to fight drugs and
>how it is affecting our freedoms.  Also information like the recently
>posted article on the real causes of violence in relation to drugs,
>etc.
>
>    Is it possible to have such a group, or do people think that
>talk.politics.drugs is the only way to go?
>
>-wat-
>
>   --- An it harm none, do what you will.
It's all political.  Everything you mentioned has an equivalent in
talk.politics.guns, so I'd say a group for discussing what you mention
would be talk.politics.drugs.
Of course, there will always be the anti-drug fanatics who will spread
heat instead of light and information, insist that you don't need these
freedoms, and insist that drugs cause violence.  But hey, you post your
articles and you take your chances.   If you want a pro-legalization group
to spread that sort of information, you should probably do it as a moderated
group. (soc.drugs might be acceptable in that case)
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (02/10/90)

In article <131548@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>    Well, I really had hoped that the group would be more used to
>spread light & information than heat.  Something like a forum for
>what is happening, what knew things are being done to fight drugs and
>how it is affecting our freedoms.  Also information like the recently
>posted article on the real causes of violence in relation to drugs,
>etc.

>    Is it possible to have such a group, or do people think that
>talk.politics.drugs is the only way to go?

Soc.drugs would be a good place for enlightened, polite discussion, but
it will need moderation. Placing it in the talk hierarchy effectively
gives it to the rabble, no offense intended :-)

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
The Administration is committed to a balanced budget, and we will fight to the