[news.groups] Works for ME! was Flames

STella@xanadu.com (STella) (02/10/90)

In article <1990Jan31.222213.1402@everexn.uucp> karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) writes:
>Nobody's ever really flamed me (this is not an invitation), but I
>sometimes wonder what the most effective response to a flame is.  I've

Well, I find that this works quite well for emailed flames -- I send
this file as my only reply:

"Thank you very much for your flame.  I did read it; it may or may not
have an effect on my behavior.  Had it not been a flame, this reply
would not have been a form-letter."

and my signature.

If the flamer did not realize they were flaming, the next letter from
the source is often far more communicative; if the flamer was trying
to stir up shit, SHe realizes I'm not interested, and won't play
right, and goes off to another target.  In either case, I've won ONE
thing, at least: I DON'T have to play with the flamer.  And it's taken
me about three dozen keystrokes, max.  A flutter of the fingers, and
the annoyance is gone!  Bye!

STella@xanadu.com	1016 E. El Camino Real, #302, Sunnyvale, CA 94087