[news.groups] Call for Discussion: rec.radio

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/07/90)

I agree with Eric.  While there is still an excessive mixture of topics in
rec.ham-radio now, many of which can go into existing groups, it is still
too early (in the life of rec.radio.shortwave) to make knee-jerk reactions.

Not every host has added rec.radio.shortwave yet (these things never get
done automatically at so many places anyway, as I know all too well with
the slow addition of rec.ham-radio.swap here).

Let's give things a chance to settle down first and then see what we need.
Another 6 months ought to take care of it.  Maybe rec.ham-radio does need
another split, but it is not clear right now just what that should be.

Another problem with rec.radio.shortwave is that it is trying to be a little
more than its name implies, even though all this was known during the vote.
I personally think the name choice was a little too narrow, but now is not
the time to be changing it.

We might find it better to split rec.ham-radio in other ways anyway, such
as rec.ham-radio.fcc or such.  I do expect to see one more (and hopefully
the FINAL one) round of "no code" debates there.  But I don't know if we
have the time to head it off with a subgroup, as it may hit as soon as a
couple weeks from now.  The hamlicen@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu mailing list is the
best bet for the time being to help that situation.

--Phil Howard, KA9WGN--
<phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (02/08/90)

In article <25100016@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.ed writes:
*Let's give things a chance to settle down first and then see what we need.
*Another 6 months ought to take care of it.  Maybe rec.ham-radio does need
*another split, but it is not clear right now just what that should be.

i'm not talking about `splitting' rec.ham-radio; i'm talking about
providing a *correctly named* place for radio discussions that
are not related to ham-radio.

another poster says that people in rec.ham-radio are interested in
talking about anything having to do with radio; am i to infer
from this that if i subscribed to that group and started talking
about playlist selection or the difficulties of running campus
radio stations that no one in rec.ham-radio would be upset?

richard
--
richard welty    518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
welty@lewis.crd.ge.com            ...!crdgw1!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:

>another poster says that people in rec.ham-radio are interested in
>talking about anything having to do with radio; am i to infer
>from this that if i subscribed to that group and started talking
>about playlist selection or the difficulties of running campus
>radio stations that no one in rec.ham-radio would be upset?

This, by the way, is demonstrably false: note that rec.radio.shortwave was
created in part because shortwave folks were made unwelcome there by some;
note also that the same thing is continuing to happen to scanner users, who
are being told to come over to r.r.sw (where they ARE welcome).

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Rumour has it that Larry Wall, author of RN, is a finalist in the race for
the Nobel Peace Prize for his invention of the kill file.

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/10/90)

How about the possibility of:

rec.radio		/* (new) radio of misc recreational topics */
rec.radio.ham		/* (change) currently is rec.ham-radio */
rec.radio.ham.packet	/* (change) currently is rec.ham-radio.packet */
rec.radio.ham.swap	/* (change) currently is rec.ham-radio.swap */
rec.radio.shortwave	/* shortwave listeners */

--Phil Howard, KA9WGN--
<phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (02/11/90)

In article <25100019@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.ed writes:

*How about the possibility of:

*rec.radio		/* (new) radio of misc recreational topics */
*rec.radio.ham		/* (change) currently is rec.ham-radio */
*rec.radio.ham.packet	/* (change) currently is rec.ham-radio.packet */
*rec.radio.ham.swap	/* (change) currently is rec.ham-radio.swap */
*rec.radio.shortwave	/* shortwave listeners */

this is certainly how it *should* be, possibly with rec.radio.misc
instead of rec.radio (i personally don't care that much, but
some people have an emotional attachment to the .misc suffix),
but it'd be pretty hard to actually get the rec.ham-radio.*
stuff moved to the new location in the hierarchy.

sigh,
  richard