[news.groups] First week of voting: rec.models.misc

randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Longshot) (02/09/90)

At the end of one week of voting, the tally is 38 yes votes to 5 no votes.
Please vote if you have not. If there are not at least 100 more yes votes
than no votes, this group will not pass. Right now, I get the impression that
I may not even get 100 votes *total*. Below is the list of voters (sorted
alphabetically by header). The very first person who sent me a no vote, had
a message with a munged header. Thus, I have the line "1 no vote" in his/her
place. If you see that your name is not on the list, resend your vote so I can
get the header. If you voted, yes or no, and don't see your name, I didn't get
it. The person whose header I lost had the message in within 2 days of the
call-for-votes, so he/she will likely know that they are missing from the list.
For the sake of argument and discussion, I will include the statement of
purpose of this proposed group, followed by the list of 43 voters. Please send
your votes!

			   REC.MODELS.MISC

Rec.models.misc is a newsgroup deigned to promote the hobby of model
construction. It is intended as a forum to discuss all topics pertaining to
this field. These topics include, but are not limited to:

	* Kit quality (Monogram vs. Revell vs. Tamiya, etc.)
	* Paint quality
	* Tools and techniques
	* Reviews of new kits
	* Help in locating reference material
	* Advertisement of reputable sources of materials
	* Discussion of IPMS (International Plastic Modeller's Society)

I would like to point out that this group is not limited to scale modelling,
is not limited to plastic modelling, and is not limited to historical
reproduction modelling. It is intended as a means by which those interested
in the hobby can exchange ideas, and those new to the hobby can get helpful
hints for starting out. I know, from personal experience, that this is
helpful. I have learned more about the hobby since I joined the Oklahoma
Historical Modeller's Society (OHMS), and I feel that, with any craft, the
best way to learn is to ask of those in the know. Many of the topics would
even apply to the construction of flying rockets and RC aircraft and cars,
hence I suggest that it be .misc, to supplement these existing groups. By
protocol, the voting shall begin on Feb. 1st, and end on the 21st. Please
mail your votes to one of the following:

	randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
	randy@uokmax.UUCP
	...!chinet!uokmax!randy

And the voters thus far:

1 no vote
Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu>
Charleen Bunjiovianna <charleen@ads.com>
Chris Krieg <chris@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Dag Bruck <dag@control.lth.se>
Donald.Schmitz@FAS.RI.CMU.EDU
GOOG ?? <goog%a.cs.okstate.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Ian Dickinson <cudep%cu.warwick.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Jason Bellenger <jason@dgp.toronto.edu>
Kevin Lahey <kml@mosquito.cis.ufl.edu>
Matthias Urlichs <urlichs%smurf.ira.uka.de@RELAY.CS.NET>
NSYSTSQ@NCSUADM.BITNET (Tom Quinn                                  )
Stanier A <alan%essex.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Steve Kaminski <kaminski@SCL.CWRU.Edu>
System News Administrator <newsadm@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov>
WOLPERT%MAINE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
becker@xanth.uucp
ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Cliff Tuel)
elton@lll-crg.llnl.gov
gil@banyan.banyan.com  (Gil Pilz@Eng@Banyan)
greg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (greg Nowak)
jackh@csufres.CSUFresno.EDU (Jack Hart Jr)
jcoper@ccu.umanitoba.ca
jj@alice.att.com
johnson@nrtc.northrop.com
jrs@cblpe.att.com (Jeffrey R Sherota)
kinstrey@wsqtba.crd.ge.com (M. A. Kinstrey)
lex@demott.COM (Lex Mierop)
moews@math.berkeley.edu
munnari!arp.anu.OZ.AU!stuarth@uunet.UU.NET (Stuart Hungerford)
mvjonke@cs.vu.nl
oplinger@ra.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger)
paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scott Paisley)
pvogel@convex.com
rutgers!phoenix.princeton.edu!greg
shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov
srb@ihsybil.att.com
stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Peltier)
think!harvard!yale!spock!mustang@harvard.harvard.edu (Neil McNeight)
thorn@godot.radonc.unc.edu (Jesse Thorn)
wbt@cbnews.att.com
woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu (John D Woolverton)
xanthian@well.sf.ca.us (Kent Paul Dolan)

--
Randy J. Ray       University of Oklahoma, Norman Campus	(405)/325-5370
!chinet!uokmax!randy	randy@uokmax.uucp    randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

jill@tank.uchicago.edu (jill holly hansen) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb8.192312.28089@uokmax.uucp>
        randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Longshot) writes:
:
:At the end of one week of voting, the tally is 38 yes votes to 5 no votes.
:Please vote if you have not. If there are not at least 100 more yes votes
:than no votes, this group will not pass. Right now, I get the impression that
:I may not even get 100 votes *total*.
:
:And the voters thus far:
:
:1 no vote
:Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu>
:Charleen Bunjiovianna <charleen@ads.com>
:Chris Krieg <chris@cis.ohio-state.edu>
:Dag Bruck <dag@control.lth.se>

Would some net guru jump in on this one! I believe that netiquette
is that

1) One does not report mid term results
2) For mid-term acknowlegments, only only acknowledges that a vote
   was received, one doesn't at this point indicate how an individual
   noted. That comes at the end.

What with this proble, bouncing votes, the infamous *.aquaria vote,
and some questionable counts, wouldn't it be nice if somone had the
ability to donate enough disk space on her machine so that ALL votes
went to one machine, were counted by someone independent and reported
correctly?

     Jill Hansen               | Can you imagine what this world be like
jill@tank.uchicago.edu         | if God's operating system were Unix?

jill@tank.uchicago.edu (jill holly hansen) writes:

>Would some net guru jump in on this one! I believe that netiquette
>is that

>1) One does not report mid term results
>2) For mid-term acknowlegments, only only acknowledges that a vote

hey, they're only guidelines!

Okay. whoever posted interim results, hold up your hand:

*slap* *slap*

Consider yourself ostracized.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Rumour has it that Larry Wall, author of RN, is a finalist in the race for
the Nobel Peace Prize for his invention of the kill file.

peterson@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Eric J Peterson) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb8.192312.28089@uokmax.uucp>, randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Longshot) writes:

| At the end of one week of voting, the tally is 38 yes votes to 5 no votes.
| Please vote if you have not. If there are not at least 100 more yes votes
| than no votes, this group will not pass. Right now, I get the impression that
| I may not even get 100 votes *total*. Below is the list of voters (sorted
| alphabetically by header). The very first person who sent me a no vote, had
| a message with a munged header. Thus, I have the line "1 no vote" in his/her
| place.

Doesn't this go against the guidelines a wee bit in two or three ways?  I
didn't think that intermediate results were supposed to be posted, just the
list of people that had voted to confirm that votes were received ...

At any rate, I tried to vote but my mail keeps bouncing off of uokmax's
Sendmail (I'm using Sendmail 5.61 and haven't had a problem with it until
now).  Perhaps this is why the turnout is so poor ... ?

YES to r.m.m.

Eric

--
  Eric J. Peterson <> peterson@nu.cs.fsu.edu <> uunet!nu.cs.fsu.edu!peterson
Florida State Univ * CS Systems Support Group * Room 011 Love * (904) 644-2296

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (02/09/90)

Perhaps one reason that not many votes have been tallied is that mail to
the addresses listed bounces (from my site, anyway).  I've tried to reply
twice, but mail tells me that it's an unknown host.

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

randy@uokmax.uucp (Longshot) (02/09/90)

In article <7518@tank.uchicago.edu> jill@tank.uchicago.edu (jill holly hansen) writes:
-
-Would some net guru jump in on this one! I believe that netiquette
-is that
-
-1) One does not report mid term results
-2) For mid-term acknowlegments, only only acknowledges that a vote
-   was received, one doesn't at this point indicate how an individual
-   noted. That comes at the end.
-
-What with this proble, bouncing votes, the infamous *.aquaria vote,
-and some questionable counts, wouldn't it be nice if somone had the
-ability to donate enough disk space on her machine so that ALL votes
-went to one machine, were counted by someone independent and reported
-correctly?
-

I did not link the no vote to any person listed. I was purposefully asking
one individual whose header I had lost, to resend so that I may add his name to
the *SORTED LIST* that does not identify how one voted. Surely more than 1
person will send me a vote between now and the end of voting, so that some
natsy doesn't use uniq or grep or some other nifty tool to find that *1 no
vote*. As for "mid-term acknowledgements," I am certain I have seen them before,
but if I was in fact wrong in doing so, I will apologize to the net and refrain
from it in the future. But I will need more than your near-hysterical tone to
go on. How else will someone know if their message fell off some sites bit-
bucket? We haven't received any real UUCP mail in nearly a month due to modem
failures. If I wait until voting is closed to acknowledge, people who felt
the need to vote will not have had the chance. Relax, please. I tried reading
news.announce.newusers for guidelines, but found none, and no one at this
site had ever proposed a news group before.

Randy
--
Randy J. Ray       University of Oklahoma, Norman Campus	(405)/325-5370
!chinet!uokmax!randy	randy@uokmax.uucp    randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
Philosophy is written in this book - I mean universe - which stands continually
open to our gaze...		-Galileo

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (02/13/90)

In article <7518@tank.uchicago.edu>, jill@tank.uchicago.edu (jill holly hansen) writes:
> In article <1990Feb8.192312.28089@uokmax.uucp>
>         randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Longshot) writes:

> :At the end of one week of voting, the tally is 38 yes votes to 5 no votes.
> : [ ... ]

> Would some net guru jump in on this one!

Boooooiinnnnnggggg.......THUD!!!   (Oh, you wanted a GURU? Sorry, I slipped.)

>                                          I believe that netiquette
> is that

> 1) One does not report mid term results

I don't believe there is any prohibition against intermediate results
being posted; in fact, it reminds everyone that the vote is in process,
and brings it to the attention of those who might have missed the
initial CFV.

> 2) For mid-term acknowlegments, only only acknowledges that a vote
>    was received, one doesn't at this point indicate how an individual
>    noted. That comes at the end.

What with headers being munged regularly, and considering that a lot
of people vote in the Subject: line, I (IMHO) also see nothing
whatsoever wrong with this. The info will be posted eventually,
and could only affect things by a vote of two. I scanned to see if
I'd voted, not to see if there was anyone I needed to vote against
or something.

> What with this proble, bouncing votes, the infamous *.aquaria vote,
> and some questionable counts, wouldn't it be nice if somone had the
> ability to donate enough disk space on her machine so that ALL votes
> went to one machine, were counted by someone independent and reported
> correctly?

Sounds like a great idea. I nominate you. Have at it....

>      Jill Hansen               | Can you imagine what this world be like
> jill@tank.uchicago.edu         | if God's operating system were Unix?

(Do you have any relatives in Huntsville, Al.?)

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) (02/13/90)

Some people write:

>>  I believe that netiquette is that One does not report mid term results
>
>I don't believe there is any prohibition against intermediate results
>being posted; in fact, it reminds everyone that the vote is in process,
>and brings it to the attention of those who might have missed the
>initial CFV.

Quoting from the guidelines (posted periodically to news.announce.newusers):

| 3) A couple of repeats of the call for votes may be posted during the vote,
|    provided that they contain similar clear, unbiased instructions for
|    casting a vote as the original, and provided that it is really a repeat
|    of the call for votes on the SAME proposal (see #5 below). Partial vote
|    results should NOT be included; only a statement of the specific new
|    group proposal, that a vote is in progress on it, and how to cast a vote.
|    It is permitted to post a "mass acknowledgement" in which all the names
|    of those from whom votes have been received are posted, as long as no
|    indication is made of which way anybody voted until the voting period
|    is officially over.

I believe the idea behind not posting intermediate results is that it may
influence people to start trying to "find" more votes for or against a
particular group.  Group votes should be based on an individual's feelings
for the merits of a group, not political machinations.

--
  Mark H. Weber                   | Internet: markw@GVL.Unisys.COM
  Unisys - Great Valley Labs      |     UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!gvlv2!markw