[news.groups] Support for soc.culture.pakistan, and apology

singh@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Harinder J. Singh) (02/13/90)

	As an occasional reader of s.c.i., and an Indian national
myself, I've felt sad and disgusted by the abusiveness of a number
of my fellow Indians on the net towards Pakistani posters on s.c.i.
No one should have to put up with that sort of garbage - so I fully
support the right of Pakistani netters to create their own newsgroup.
This is another YES vote for the proposal. (I do not know how one
votes, other than by a followup posting such as this.)

	It is by far easier to destroy goodwill and create hurt
feelings than it is to foster understanding, tolerance and harmony
amongst diverse communities and religious groups. Thus it is no
big victory for those Indian netters who WANTED to drive Pakistanis
off s.c.i.; it takes just a few foul-mouthed mud-slingers to create
or exacerbate a polarization.

	My best wishes to all our Pakistani friends for a successful
voting period for the new newsgroup and for a successful forum! I'm
sorry that you had to endure indignities on s.c.i. - the shame is ours
on s.c.i. for not having conducted ourselves more decently.

		Inder

acsiq@uhvax1.uh.edu (02/13/90)

In article <499@sierra.stanford.edu>, singh@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Harinder J. Singh) writes:
> 	As an occasional reader of s.c.i., and an Indian national
> myself, I've felt sad and disgusted by the abusiveness of a number
> of my fellow Indians on the net towards Pakistani posters on s.c.i.
> No one should have to put up with that sort of garbage - so I fully
> support the right of Pakistani netters to create their own newsgroup.
> This is another YES vote for the proposal. (I do not know how one
> votes, other than by a followup posting such as this.)
>
> 	It is by far easier to destroy goodwill and create hurt
> feelings than it is to foster understanding, tolerance and harmony
> amongst diverse communities and religious groups. Thus it is no
> big victory for those Indian netters who WANTED to drive Pakistanis
> off s.c.i.; it takes just a few foul-mouthed mud-slingers to create
> or exacerbate a polarization.
>
> 	My best wishes to all our Pakistani friends for a successful
> voting period for the new newsgroup and for a successful forum! I'm
> sorry that you had to endure indignities on s.c.i. - the shame is ours
> on s.c.i. for not having conducted ourselves more decently.
>
> 		Inder

	Hear hear.  Finally one of you guys had the guts and decency
	to admit to the real facts.

--
  Faisal.
                              Faisal Usmani,  Dept. of Electrical Engineering