[news.groups] On Flames

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

>But your worry, Brad, is unrealistic.  Even if folks started posting
>"attapersons", the net would not "consist only of gushing praise".
>There would still be flames, and there would still be the postings
>that draw flames, and the postings that draw the praise.

And people to flame people who post praise.

Really though, I don't think you should be trying to set up some sort of
net.policy on handing out praise. If you want to compliment somebody
by all means, go for it. But if people start going around patting each
other on the back all the time, it's going to get nauseous.
(Like that cartoon about the overly polite chipmonks: "After You." "No, After
You! "I insist, after YOU!!!" etc)

Besides, seeing someone who constantly 'praises' others looks as bad as someone
who flames constantly. Looks like they are 'kissing up' (i.e. brown-nosing)

For instance look how it would sound if I praised you for this idea. Note that
praise (as you are talking about) is different from mere agreement ("yes,
Jeff I think you have a good idea there", for example)

Praise:
Jeff,
I think you have a wonderful Idea about giving out praise. Terrific. Way to Go
Jeff!!! You expressed yourself very well and it is indeed an Honor to have
read your postings. Keep up the Good Work. I hope to see more excellent postings
from you in the near Future. Folks, Give this man a pat on the back!!!!

--
Sickening isn't it?

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (02/08/90)

If the net does not adopt my proposal that we post thumbs-ups
as well as thumbs-downs, I guess victims of flames will just
have to survive asbestos they can.

Jeff

--

                     Thank you for not coercing.

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (02/10/90)

In article <1403@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

> Besides, seeing someone who constantly 'praises' others looks as bad as someone
> who flames constantly. Looks like they are 'kissing up' (i.e. brown-nosing)

I don't think so.  Brown-nosing almost always has a definite goal in mind,
and very few people on the net are in a position to do other posters any
good or harm outside of flamery or praise itself.

For instance, if I post a thumbs-up for Bill Wells' work in n.n.q., how
can he help me in return? -- He lives in Florida, I in Texas, and he doesn't
work for the firm I work for.  For that matter, even my coworkers who post
aren't in a supervisory position over me, so patting them on the back
wouldn't help a bit at review time.  And my only outside business
activity is insurance, and I doubt if someone is going to buy insurance
from me just because I post an attaperson (especially if the recipient
lives in another State).

Jeff

--

                     Thank you for not coercing.

maddox@blake.acs.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) (02/14/90)

In article <S-N13DFxds8@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

>Brown-nosing almost always has a definite goal in mind . . .

	Words from the master.