[news.groups] Hum sounds funny

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) (02/06/90)

Call it Huma...

hum sounds like something one might do while doing light work.

nrg

--
York University          | "Philosophers who make the general claim that a
Department of Philosophy |       rule simply 'reduces to' its formulations

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (02/06/90)

In article <7303@yunexus.UUCP>, gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:
> Call it Huma...
>
> hum sounds like something one might do while doing light work.

Punctuated by an occasional sci of relief?

hum is better.  Huma sounds and looks like a full proper name (altho
in what language I dinna know), and might confuse folks.

Jeff

--

                     Thank you for not coercing.

bfu@ifi.uio.no (Thomas Gramstad) (02/07/90)

>From: gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall)
>Date: 6 Feb 90 03:42:28 GMT
>
>Call it Huma...
>
>hum sounds like something one might do while doing light work.

Call it Hum...

huma sounds like something one might do while doing heavy (hard, physical)
work.

Thomas Gramstad                                      bfu@ifi.uio.no

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (02/07/90)

In article <7303@yunexus.UUCP>, Norm Gall writes:
*Call it Huma...

*hum sounds like something one might do while doing light work.

a `hum job', as it were

richard
--
richard welty    518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
welty@lewis.crd.ge.com            ...!crdgw1!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty

peterson@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Eric J Peterson) (02/08/90)

In article <_QK1FDExds8@ficc.uu.net>, jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:
| In article <7303@yunexus.UUCP>, gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:
| > Call it Huma...
|
| Huma sounds and looks like a full proper name (altho
| in what language I dinna know), and might confuse folks.

Especially the group huma.humor. :-)

--
  Eric J. Peterson <> peterson@nu.cs.fsu.edu <> uunet!nu.cs.fsu.edu!peterson
Florida State Univ * CS Systems Support Group * Room 011 Love * (904) 644-2296

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) (02/08/90)

In article <_QK1FDExds8@ficc.uu.net>, jeffd@ficc (jeff daiell) writes:
>In article <7303@yunexus.UUCP>, gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:
>> Call it Huma...

>> hum sounds like something one might do while doing light work.

>hum is better.  Huma sounds and looks like a full proper name (altho
>in what language I dinna know), and might confuse folks.

  I think it would be better to remove a letter and produce
a "hu" domain than to add one.
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith   Gene Ward Smith/Brahmsgangster/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!bosco!gsmith        "DUMB problem!! DUMB!!!" -- Robert L. Forward

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) (02/09/90)

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:

>Call it Huma...

>hum sounds like something one might do while doing light work.

I don't know--to me it doesn't sound any funnier than Sigh.

Actually, I'm getting used to hum, and it sounds OK to me.  Also,
I think that adding the domain is a good idea.

Karen
--
   Karen Valentino  <>  Everex North (Everex Systems)  <>  Sebastopol, CA
      karen@everexn.uu.net      ..{apple, well}!fico2!everexn!karen

    "My Freudian slip only shows when I want it to."  -- Louis Valentino

unccab@calico.med.unc.edu (Charles Balan) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb8.063809.21009@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>In article <_QK1FDExds8@ficc.uu.net>, jeffd@ficc (jeff daiell) writes:
>>In article <7303@yunexus.UUCP>, gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:
>>> Call it Huma...
>>hum is better.  Huma sounds and looks like a full proper name (altho
>a "hu" domain than to add one.

Why not a huh? domain, to describe how most new net.users feel when they
are trying to make sense of this chaos :)

                            Charles Balan
UNCCAB@med.unc.edu   ,    UNCCAB@uncmed.uucp    ,   UNCCAB@unc.bitnet
%%%%%%%%%%%%%  A Witty Saying Proves Nothing - Voltaire  %%%%%%%%%%%%

mitchell@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Mitchell Marks) (02/13/90)

I don't understand.  Is the problem people are having with 'hum' all
based on the pronunciation just like the word?  Goodness, haven't you
ever been in a context where 'hum' is pronounced /hyum/, that is, like
the name Hume?

Or is it the case that you ARE pronouncing it that way and objections
are based on even that pronunciation?

Tell me, how are you pronouncing 'soc'?  Surely not /sak/ i.e. "sock",
right?  Almost everywhere it's /sows^/, "sohsh".

Actually, I don't hold with collapsing "humanities" and "human
sciences".  I still think of the latter under the more traditional and
less French name, "social sciences".  So from my point of view, it
would make sense to scram the current soc.* groups off somewhere else
under a new name, and divide the "academic/technical" groups into hum
(Humanities), soc (Social Sciences), bio (Biological Sciences), and
sci (Physical and Mathematical Sciences).  Rationally comp might be
argued to fall under the last of those, but this is after all a
computer net and it's reasonable that comp should occupy a slot at the
top level of the heirarchy.
--
Mitch Marks    mitchell@cs.UChicago.EDU
  My uncle is sick, but the road is green.

dattier@chinet.chi.il.us (David W. Tamkin) (02/15/90)

Karen Valentino wrote in <1990Feb8.185520.2250@everexn.uucp>:

| gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:

| >Call it Huma...
| >hum sounds like something one might do while doing light work.

| I don't know--to me it doesn't sound any funnier than Sigh.

Or "sock" or "wreck" or "misk"?

David Tamkin  P.O Box 813  Rosemont, Illinois 60018-0813 |      BIX: dattier
dattier@chinet.chi.il.us   (708) 518-6769 (312) 693-0591 | GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN
No two Chinet users agree about this (or anything else). |   CIS: 73720,1570