[news.groups] Thumbs-Ups

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) (02/15/90)

In article <5750@blake.acs.washington.edu>, Tom Maddox writes:
> In article <S-N13DFxds8@ficc.uu.net> Jeff Daiell) writes:
>
> >Brown-nosing almost always has a definite goal in mind . . .
>
>Words from the master.

Put up or shut up.  Show one example of brown-nosing (as distinguished
from sincere approval).  And show what possible goal it could have in mind.

Jeff

--
"Come to me, bend to me, kiss me good day;
Give me your lips and don't take them away."

maddox@blake.acs.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) (02/16/90)

[Note to readers:  I have tried to move this exchange to alt.flame, where it
belongs, but Daiell, for reasons you will have to imagine, insists upon
maintaining it in news.groups.  Thus, if you don't think this should be going
on in news.groups, let him know, not me.]

In article <-LR1TBBxds8@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) writes:

>In article <5750@blake.acs.washington.edu>, Tom Maddox writes:
>> In article <S-N13DFxds8@ficc.uu.net> Jeff Daiell) writes:
>>
>> >Brown-nosing almost always has a definite goal in mind . . .
>>
>>Words from the master.

>Put up or shut up.  Show one example of brown-nosing (as distinguished
>from sincere approval).

	The born sycophant, like the born liar, cannot make this distinction:
he sucks up because he is born to do so.  You to Peter da Silva, or to W.
Wells.  Not having saved one word of your incredibly numerous postings to
this group, I cannot give you particular quotes, but I can refer the readers
of the group to their own experience and judgment.

	[In this manly "put up or shut up," you seem to be emulating Peter, so
let me say to you both:  I don't archive your postings or mine, so I can't
show you where one of you is a flamer, the other a brown-noser, except by
reference to memory--mine and other readers'.  Tell you what, though:  send me
the relevant documents (I'm sure you have all your postings archived, cross-
referenced, and backed up to several different media), and I'll post them
with annotations.]

>And show what possible goal it could have in mind.

	To have the approval of those you feel will respond to brown-nosing.
Particularly when you feel you can't get it any other way.  Poor devil.