[news.groups] Thumbs-up for conspicuous absence

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Ray Dunn) (02/15/90)

In referenced article, jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:
> [Another cutesy-pie one-liner of apparent relevance only to the addressee]

I'm very much in favour of Jeff Daiell's suggestion to post "thumbs-up's"
when they are warranted, to balance the flames.

So much so in fact, that when Jeff finally realizes how much of a pain his
infantile-cutesy oneliners and nonsensical signatures are, and stops
infecting every group on the net with them, I promise that I'll post as
many thumbs-ups as he tells me he needs to satisy his ego for at *least* 5
seconds.

Can I count on everyone else to do the same?

Please??
--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmtl.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) (02/15/90)

In article <1028@philmtl.philips.ca>, ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Ray Dunn) writes:

>[uptight discomfiture with goodwill and humor deleted]

Perpend:

From WORLD PSYCHOLOGY REVIEW, Vol. XXII, No. 11 (March 2nd, 1987):

                  GET THEE TO A PUNNERY

by Arthur L. Moore, Ph.D.[1]; Joan Glazer, M.D.[2]; C. D. Miller,
M.D.[1]; Felicia A. Robertson, M.D.[1]; Janos Hrulka, M.S.W.[3];
Carla Bell, Ph.D.[2]; Bryan O'Malley, R.N.[2]

    Do punsters, as a bumpersticker might claim, make better lovers?
Maybe so, maybe not -- but they certainly tend to be more intelligent,
more mature, more pleasant, and more literate than their non-punning
counterparts.
    Over a period of seventy-eight months, two groups were studied
by the authors (with the assistance of eleven post-doctoral students).
648 individuals who punned constantly, and 672 persons who never punned,
comprised the respective groups.
    [methodology section deleted]
    The results surprised the authors.  The punning subjects consistently
got along better with others in *all* aspects of their lives: work,
neighborhood, family, and other interactions.  Their IQs were an average
of 6.31 points higher.  Their MMPIs were consistently healthier.  Their
educational level was higher -- and, more tellingly in these days of
inept governmental schools, members of the punning group did better
on standardized tests administered by the authors and their assistants.
They also were better able to read and interpret articles in: (a) a
daily newspaper; (2) scientific journals; (3) news digests geared toward
college graduates.  Interviews with associates of members of the two
groups indicated that the punsters were clearly more mature than their
non-punning analogs.
    Do you wish an environment preferable to the one you now inhabit?
Would you like, to express it bluntly, a better grade of person around
you?  Then, as any of the members of our better-scoring group would
likely express it, "Get thee to a punnery, go!"

                           -30-
[1] Johns Hopkins University Department of Psychiatry and Neurology. [2] The
Mayo Clinic.  [3] Stanford University Medical Center Division of Psychosocial
Aspects of Health Care.

                             ----------

Jeff Daiell
Note: the above is presented in jest.

--

                        Thank you for not coercing.

nf@ccicpg.UUCP (Power 7/64 Modem Police) (02/17/90)

In article <K4S159Exds8@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) writes:
>In article <1028@philmtl.philips.ca>, ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Ray Dunn) writes:
>
>>[uptight discomfiture with goodwill and humor deleted]
>

>Perpend:
>
>From WORLD PSYCHOLOGY REVIEW, Vol. XXII, No. 11 (March 2nd, 1987):
>
>                  GET THEE TO A PUNNERY

GET THEE TO A HUMOR GROUP. And out of news.groups.