[news.groups] bird group?

sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:

>I also would like to see a rec.birds.aviculture.

Okay, this discussion is back. Since it seems to be returning with greater
frequency, perhaps it's time to Do Something about it.

Should it be rec.pets.birds, or should it be rec.birds.aviculture?

Personally, since INDOOR discussions are mostly about keeping pet birds, I
would recommend rec.pets.birds since it fits into the name space better. But
wanting to avoid a screamfest, let's talk about it a bit.

Any suggestions for sci.aviary will be summarily ignored.

Please note: followups are being sent to news.groups where this discussion
belongs.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Rumour has it that Larry Wall, author of RN, is a finalist in the race for
the Nobel Peace Prize for his invention of the kill file.

freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) (02/09/90)

in article <38425@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) says:

> Should it be rec.pets.birds, or should it be rec.birds.aviculture?

rec.pets.birds would get a vote from me.

Fred

--
Fred Sieg - M/S 2-88			uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!legs!freds
AST Research Inc.			Fax: (714) 727-9358

bjb@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Barbara Bowen) (02/12/90)

In article <38425@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Should it be rec.pets.birds, or should it be rec.birds.aviculture?

Aviculture and keeping pet birds are distinctly different.  I see no
problems with posing pet issues to rec.pets.  I would definitely support
a rec.birds.aviculture group should the charter consider breeding of
exotic avian species, including lighting techniques, nest box sizes,
cage size requirements (for breeding) of the different types of birds.
If you want rec.pet.birds - fine.  I ALSO want rec.birds.aviculture.

>Any suggestions for sci.aviary will be summarily ignored.

How magnanimous of you.  More than one veterinary school considers
avian management to be a science.

EMAIL:  barbara.bowen@Orlando.NCR.COM   (...ncrlnk!ncrorl!bjb)

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (02/18/90)

In article <38425@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Should it be rec.pets.birds, or should it be rec.birds.aviculture?

   I see four kind  of users of rec.birds.  One are the bird watching
people.  They are the ones that seem most uncomfortable with the current
state of the group (I seldom see complaints from pet owners about the
bird watchers articles).  To accomodate them, some of us place the "INDOOR"
keyword at the to of our articles ... but they seldom, if ever, use the
OUTDOOR keyword.  I think they would have more right to squack if they
followed their own suggestions.

   The other three types of readers are (1) Pet owners, (2) collectors,
and (3) breeders.  I think that rec.birds really is the right place for
all these discussion (yes, even those about "biting conures").  We should
try to use the INDOOR keyword (why not), but their really isn't enough traffic
to split the bird traffic into rec.pets.birds and rec.birds.aviculture.  Both
would serve a similar purpose, but not exactly the same.

  Finally, I think thereir are overlaps between the indoor and outdoor bird
stuff.  Good aviculturalists take a keen interest in the natural habitat of
the exotic birds they breed.  The recent discussion of field guides for
South American birds was really interesting to me.

    I vote for the status quo.

 Stewart
--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive