[news.groups] Vigilantism

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) (02/15/90)

It may not be in OED, but its presence in Webster's
should bring forth an apology for the charge that I made it up.

--
"Come to me, bend to me, kiss me good day;
Give me your lips and don't take them away."

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (02/16/90)

In article <6=R1LBDxds8@ficc.uu.net>, jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) writes:

> It may not be in OED, but its presence in Webster's
> should bring forth an apology for the charge that I made it up.

 Vigilantism doesn't appear in the Britannica-Webster Dictionary and
Reference guide, either.

But it *does* have a nice ring to it.

--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
#include <opinions.h>;#define opinions MINE  |   point in its history"

cook@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Dale C. Cook) (02/17/90)

[jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) recently posted that:

|It may not be in OED, but its presence in Webster's
|should bring forth an apology for the charge that I made it up.

|--
|"Come to me, bend to me, kiss me good day;
|Give me your lips and don't take them away."
|           From Lerner's and Loewe's BRIGADOON
|           and quite appropriate for February 14th!

This guy (and his cronies) are turning this group into cesspool and
making it impossible to use it for its original purpose: discussing
new news groups.  I have some interest in the latter, but none
whatsoever in who called whom what and who said what to whom.

Would someone please do us all a public service and post the procedures
for screening out postings from a particularly obnoxious individual?
I know about killing subject threads, but simply putting the persons
name doesn't seem to work.  (I use rn, if that's important.)  Thanks!

        - Dale (N1US)   Encore Computer Corporation, Marlborough, Mass.

INTERNET:  cook@encore.com	"Nothing is inherently and invincibly young
UUCP: buita \			 except spirit.  And spirit can	enter a human
    talcott  } !encore!cook	 being perhaps better in the quiet of old age
   bellcore /			 and dwell there more undisturbed than in the
				 turmoil of adventure."  -- George Santayana

" Maynard) (02/17/90)

In article <6=R1LBDxds8@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) writes:
>It may not be in OED, but its presence in Webster's
>should bring forth an apology for the charge that I made it up.

Trish? Apologize?

teehee. chuckle. Hoho. BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHA!!! <choke> <gasp> AHAHAHAHA!!!
that's (hahaha!!!) too much, Jeff! <coughcough> You're killing me! hehehehe.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (02/18/90)

= writes:
=> It may not be in OED, but its presence in Webster's
=> should bring forth an apology for the charge that I made it up.
=
= Trish? Apologize?
=
= teehee. chuckle. Hoho. BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHA!!! <choke> <gasp>
= snicker <cough> Oh, that's (hahaha!!!) too much, Jeff! <coughcough>
= You're killing me! hehehehe.

Trish (TRISH IS NEVER WRONG(tm)) O Tuama apologize, instead of
changing the subject promptly or blaming her opponent for her mistakes
or just flaming on mindlessly while trying to ignore her sudden double
amputation?  Apparently you didn't read her CLASSIC TRISH(tm) followup
to Jeff's note (one of millions, collect the whole set)?

Come on guys, I've got acute respiratory problems and a massive
depression to nurture and shattered bones trying to knit.

I can't take a lot of shaking and knee slapping and rolling around
helplessly on the floor and hyperventilating and ...  .

Besides, the neighbors are reaching for 911, and the cats are climbing
the curtains looking for a way out, and it's bad for my image and I'm
stirring up a lot of dust and everybody's putting me in their kill
files and my jaw's coming unhinged.

You know, she works just like /dev/null as an unending input device:

(flames < /src/rissa > /sink/unreadably_boring_tripe) >& /news/*/*/*

OB New newsgroup proposal: news.groups.autocombustion.rissa
--
xanthian@ads.com xanthian@well.sf.ca.us (Kent Paul Dolan)
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

In article <325@comcon.UUCP> roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>In article <6=R1LBDxds8@ficc.uu.net>, jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) writes:
>>
>> It may not be in OED, but its presence in Webster's
>> should bring forth an apology for the charge that I made it up.
>>
> Vigilantism doesn't appear in the Britannica-Webster Dictionary and
>Reference guide, either.
>
>But it *does* have a nice ring to it.

From G. C. Merriam Co., the recognized authority on American English
as long as there has been a dictionary published in America; Webster's
Collegiate Dictionary, 1960 edition:

	Vigilantism: n. The policy or practice of vigilantes.

Since it has been around as a recognized word for at least 30 years,
longer than many of those arguing have been alive, it shows every sign
of being a Real Word(tm).  Since the ODE 1) is not a dictionary of
American English, and 2) is nowhere close to "V" in completing its
first revision, and since no other American dictionary has any
pretense of being authoritative, may I respectfully suggest that all
opinions to the contrary are worthless, and those arguing to that end
could do themselves a big favor by ceasing to suck toe jam?

I don't particularly like Jeff, but when he's right, he's right, and
those who continue to argue for error when the right path is known to
them are fools.

OB New newsgroup proposals: talk.second_rate_dictionaries,
                            alt.illiterates.rissa,
                            alt.flame.dictionary.oneupsmanship
--

rissa@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Patricia O Tuama) (02/19/90)

In article <TM9:VJA@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay
>= Trish? Apologize?
>= teehee. chuckle. Hoho. BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHA!!! <choke> <gasp>

Yep, that was pretty much my response too.  Thank you, Jay.

In article <10938@saturn.ADS.COM> xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (K*nt "The
Master Net.Vigilante Himself" Dolan) writes:

Only two flames, K*nt?  Why you're losing your touch, dear.  I
remember when something like this would have set you frothing
to the net in a spasm of foul flame hysteria good for at least
15-20 vicious verbal upchuqings in at least two if not three or
four newsgroups.

>(flames < /src/rissa > /sink/unreadably_boring_tripe) >& /news/*/*/*

I don't know, K*nt, obviously it doesn't work for you.

				at that point trish, very amused

garret@chinet.chi.il.us (Garret Toomey) (02/19/90)

In article <10939@saturn.ADS.COM> xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) writes:
>From G. C. Merriam Co., the recognized authority on American English

>                            alt.flame.dictionary.oneupsmanship

What a good idea.  Perhaps you and all the others who want to
play dictionary games would consider posting there yourselves?

Garret