[news.groups] Mass mail them off *this* newsgroup!

jmi@devsim.mdcbbs.com (JM Ivler - MDC - Douglas Aircraft - Long Beach, CA) (02/18/90)

Have you had enough? Are you sick of flames and dictionary wars? Do you want to
"teach those jerks a lesson"? If you do (gosh, I'm tired of having to read
things in this newsgroup that have nothing at all to do with the newsgroup)
then I recommend that you extract and save the text below. Next time you read
inane postings that don't belong in the newsgroup, mail the message below to
the poster.

Personally, I have tried every method known to me to entice those that post
non-newsgroup creation/modification/deletion messages here to move them, this
is the last attempt I can think of. Mass junk mail. If all of us who use this
group for what it was designed for start to mass mail the below message to the
offenders, maybe they will have enough sense to go somewhere else. My bloody
kill file is getting too damn big!

jmi  [fed up with improper posting of items (and cross-posting)]

To <insert name of jerk here>

Thank you for posting your trash in NEWS.GROUPS. In case you were unaware, N.G.
has a very specific purpose, and that is to be a location for the discussion
and development of new newsgroups and modifications on existing newsgroups. The
processes associated with the use of the newsgroup are clearly outlined and
posted monthly. Try reading them.

In the future, if you desire to make an ass out of yourself in public, I would
recommend that you also try posting your trash to COMP.UNIX (very wide
distribution and retention), COMP.UNIX.WIZARDS (same here), REC.HUMOR (high
readership level) and maybe even *.AQUARIA (just for the hell of it).

If you would like to discuss newsgroup creation, naming and things of that
nature, please feel free to do so within this newsgroup, otherwise, blow your
flames out of your... you get the meaning... don't you?

[This has been a form letter. If you are real lucky, you should only get of few
of them. If you continue to mispost into the N.G newsgroup you will get many
more. If you don't mind losing the diskspace, I'm sure the readers of the
newsgroup will be happy to mail enough of these to you to paper your walls.]

Thank you for your kind consideration to the other netters.

" Maynard) (02/20/90)

In article <567.25dec164@devsim.mdcbbs.com> jmi@devsim.mdcbbs.com (JM Ivler - MDC - Douglas Aircraft - Long Beach, CA) writes:
>Mass junk mail. If all of us who use this
>group for what it was designed for start to mass mail the below message to the
>offenders, maybe they will have enough sense to go somewhere else. My bloody
>kill file is getting too damn big!

Mass junk mail?
Just say 'forward to jmi@devsim.mdcbbs.com'.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (02/21/90)

JM Ivler (jmi@devsim.mdcbbs.com) writes:
)Thank you for posting your trash in NEWS.GROUPS. In case you were unaware, N.G.
)has a very specific purpose, and that is to be a location for the discussion
)and development of new newsgroups and modifications on existing newsgroups. The
)processes associated with the use of the newsgroup are clearly outlined and
)posted monthly. Try reading them.

Only a very naive person would believe that. Read this group and
you will find that news.groups is just a euphenism for alt.flame.
--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se

karl@ficc.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/21/90)

In article <567.25dec164@devsim.mdcbbs.com> jmi@devsim.mdcbbs.com (JM Ivler - MDC - Douglas Aircraft - Long Beach, CA) writes:
>Personally, I have tried every method known to me to entice those that post
>non-newsgroup creation/modification/deletion messages here to ...
>...My bloody kill file is getting too damn big!
>To <insert name of jerk here>
>Thank you for posting your trash in NEWS.GROUPS. In case you were unaware...

Thank you for posting your trash in NEWS.GROUPS. In case you were unaware...

Hey, you said you have kill files?  Do a control-K shift-A /: jeffd/:j and you
need never see a Jeff Daiell article again.  Not enough?  Try "/: ficc/:j"

Oh, I forgot - your kill file is getting too big.  Well, what, is that breaking
rn or something or does the aesthetic displeasure of having a big kill file
force you to read articles you otherwise wouldn't?

I smile when I see a bunch of articles get junked by my kill files or 'k' of a
thread, but some people can't seem to stand the thought that they might be
missing something that might offend them.

So use your kill file.  Then you won't have to post stuff stuff to news.groups
that isn't about proposals for new groups, eh?
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl "...as long as there is a Legion of super-Heroes,
   uunet!sugar!karl       all else can surely be made right."   -- Sensor Girl

In article <778@enea.se> sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) writes:

>Only a very naive person would believe that. Read this group and
>you will find that news.groups is just a euphenism for alt.flame.
>--
>Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se
But news.groups has much better distribution, and the standards aren't
so high!
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?