[news.groups] Forged articles

prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) (02/20/90)

  I just got mail from T. W. Wells telling me that the call for votes on
  news.groups.ficc was a forgery. I went back into the news/groups directory
  and did a thorough search for the offending article and I couldn't find
  it. This is really peculiar and disturbing. I can access almost all the
  articles between Feb.14 and Feb.19 save one.

  Dinesh

--
     Dinesh K. Prabhu, Eloret Institute, M/S 230-2
     NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA-94035.

pmontgom@oak.math.ucla.edu (Peter Montgomery) (02/21/90)

In article <4960@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes:

>  I just got mail from T. W. Wells telling me that the call for votes on
>  news.groups.ficc was a forgery. I went back into the news/groups directory
>  and did a thorough search for the offending article and I couldn't find
>  it. This is really peculiar and disturbing. I can access almost all the
>  articles between Feb.14 and Feb.19 save one.

	It seems the perpetrator cancelled the article.
On Sunday I sent T. W. Wells the body of the article as it reached UCLA,
but it is no longer available here, even though its neighbors are.

--------
        Peter Montgomery
        pmontgom@MATH.UCLA.EDU
	Department of Mathematics, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (02/21/90)

The article was posted to news.announce.newgroups and was not approved
by me (the moderator).  Therefore I canceled it.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@TURBO.BIO.NET]

prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) (02/22/90)

   This article that appeared in news.groups is a nice bit of forgery.
   To whoever perpetrated this: great prank :-)). Now that you've dazzled
   us with your brilliance at forgery, bugger off you bleeding low life!

Article 16525 of news.groups:
From: prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu)
Newsgroups: news.groups
Subject: Re: Forged articles
Date: 22 Feb 90 08:32:14 GMT

In article <4960@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> I wrote:
>  I just got mail from T. W. Wells telling me that the call for votes on
>  news.groups.ficc was a forgery. I went back into the news/groups directory
>  and did a thorough search for the offending article and I couldn't find
>  it. This is really peculiar and disturbing. I can access almost all the
>  articles between Feb.14 and Feb.19 save one.
>
>  Dinesh

Thank you all for mailing me information about what happened; now I know.
Is seems the building in which I work is haunted and there are ghosts of
dead programmers killed when a big power supply exploded. They inhabit
this building and remove articles every now and then. At first I didn't
believe this, but I have the evidence in front of me. Pretty spooky.
I may have to work someplace else. I do not think it is right to make
people work with ghosts of dead programmers.

Again, thanks.