[news.groups] Call for discussion: soc.culture.*

riks@csl.sony.co.jp (Rik Smoody) (02/21/90)

I looked in my .newsrc file, and was shocked to find only about 20
soc.culture.someplace groups.
Large areas of the world were MISSING, including the USSR, Mexico,
Canada, Brazil, Italia, Deutchland, Greenland, even the entire continents
of Australia and Antactica and all of the oceans!
(Some of those are arguably included in more general groups).
Perhaps KDD is just not bringing the appropriate groups into Japan?

I noticed pending proposals for several countries...
Why don't we save tremendous traffic in news.groups and make groups
for ALL of the currently known countries?

Considering soc.culture.esperanto, soc.culture.african,
soc.culture.asian.american, and soc.culture.jewish, perhaps we should
also create groups for each known religion, language, continent, and
identifiable group of people.

The overall list is not so large.  If the opposition says it would take
too much space, then I'd say there's a design flaw in the method of
handling groups.  The new design is left as an exercise for the readers
of comp.groupware.

Having done made the groups, we would help stabilize the world.  Would
the Burmese ever be able to convince the thousands of computer systems
to change the name of their group to soc.culture.myanmar?
Leaders of civil wars would have a hard time convincing us to
split their groups into soc.culture.north-east.south.africa and ....
well, you get the idea: people would be strongly encouraged to work
out their disputes and not go changing just for no good reason.

	Aside: would the first person who see's this outside of Japan
	please send me mail: I wonder if news in this group escapes.

Rik Fischer Smoody
Sony Computer Science Lab, Inc.
3-14-13 Higashigotanda, Shinagawa-ku
Tokyo 141 Japan

phone: (03)448-4381	FAX (03)448-4273
E-mail: riks@csl.sony.co.jp

(my address in Nihongo removed to encourage mail-handlers to pass the message
along)
--
Rik Fischer Smoody
Sony Computer Science Lab, Inc.,  3-14-13 Higashigotanda
Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo 141 Japan
(03)448-4380

dzhang@redondo.usc.edu (02/22/90)

-In article <11406@riks.csl.sony.co.jp>, riks@csl.sony.co.jp (Rik
Smoody) writes:
- Large areas of the world were MISSING, including the USSR, Mexico,
- Canada, ...

Yes, soc.culture.canada or soc.culture.canadian is in order!

john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) (02/22/90)

In article <11406@riks.csl.sony.co.jp> Rik Fischer Smoody writes:
|I looked in my .newsrc file, and was shocked to find only about 20
|soc.culture.someplace groups.
|Large areas of the world were MISSING, including the USSR, Mexico,
|Canada
 ^^^^^^

We don't have culture here; just the idea that we should protect it
from American culture, which we don't really believe exists either.
--
John R. MacMillan          | For a long time I felt without style or grace
john@chance.UUCP           | Wearing shoes with no socks in cold weather

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (02/23/90)

In article <1249@uscacsc.usc.edu> dzhang@redondo.usc.edu writes:

>-In article <11406@riks.csl.sony.co.jp>, riks@csl.sony.co.jp (Rik
>Smoody) writes:
>- Large areas of the world were MISSING, including the USSR, Mexico,
>- Canada, ...
>
>Yes, soc.culture.canada or soc.culture.canadian is in order!

Or soc.culture.cdn

No! No! Please don't beat me.  I was only kidding.
--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.