[news.groups] hum.* vs rec.arts.* and rec.music.*

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (02/15/90)

Here's a question for everyone proposing a new humanities hierarchy.

If hum.* is created, does the entire rec.arts.* subhierarchy get
shifted over into hum.arts.* or does it stay under rec.*?  How about
rec.music.*?  Does this turn into hum.music.*?

If rec.arts.books turns into hum.arts.books, should rec.arts.movies
also be shifted?  What about rec.arts.tv?  rec.arts.sf-lovers?
rec.arts.comics?

If rec.music.classical transforms into hum.music.classical, what about
rec.music.misc?  rec.music.bluenote?  rec.music.gaffa?
rec.music.gdead?

I think it should either be all or nothing, and it should be decided
in advance of creating the humanities hierarchy.  The last thing the
net needs is the massively parallel flamewar that would be ignited by
a selective shifting of the rec.arts.* and rec.music.* newsgroups.

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) (02/15/90)

In article <1990Feb14.230808.4556@cs.rochester.edu>, yamauchi@cs
(Brian Yamauchi) writes:

>If hum.* is created, does the entire rec.arts.* subhierarchy get
>shifted over into hum.arts.* or does it stay under rec.*?  How about
>rec.music.*?  Does this turn into hum.music.*?

  My preference would be a domain that lined up more or less with
the various departments at your generic university.  Thus one
might have hum.literature or hum.musicology if people felt these
were needed. The idea would be that hum.musicology would not be
the same group as rec.music.classical, and certainly not in any
way shape or form like rec.music.misc.
--
ucbvax!brahms!gsmith     Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"You and I as individuals can, by borrowing, live beyond our means, but

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (02/15/90)

In article <1990Feb14.230808.4556@cs.rochester.edu>, yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:
> Here's a question for everyone proposing a new humanities hierarchy.
>
> If hum.* is created, does the entire rec.arts.* subhierarchy get
> shifted over into hum.arts.* or does it stay under rec.*?

[rest deleted]

Good points, presented sans flamery.  I think it might have to be
decided on a basis of: is the topic being discussed *as* a form
of recreation, or as an art?  For instance: group devoted to movie
reviews  might be under rec, while a group about the art and science
of cinema might be under hum.

Let's explore this some more.

Jeff
--
"Come to me, bend to me, kiss me good day;
Give me your lips and don't take them away."

In article <1990Feb14.230808.4556@cs.rochester.edu> yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:
> If hum.* is created, does the entire rec.arts.* subhierarchy get
> shifted over into hum.arts.* or does it stay under rec.*?  How about
> rec.music.*?  Does this turn into hum.music.*?

If the intent is to create a hierarcy that includes at least part of
rec.arts.*, then I submit that the name "arts.*" is no less appropriate
than "humanities.*", not to mention being shorter, and certainly better
than such nauseating abbreviations as "hum.*".

I think a "hum.*" hierarchy should not absorb anything from rec.arts.*,
but an "arts.*" hierarchy should.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

In article <92S14F1xds13@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

> If the intent is to create a hierarcy that includes at least part of
> rec.arts.*, then I submit that the name "arts.*" is no less appropriate
> than "humanities.*", not to mention being shorter, and certainly better
> than such nauseating abbreviations as "hum.*".

But humanities is more inclusive, and could reasonably contain
arts and social sciences.  I dinna think arts could reasonably
contain social sciences.

Jeff

PS - As a feminist, I contend that creation of a hss hierarchy
     would have to be matched by creation of a hrr hierarchy.

--

                        Thank you for not coercing.

mehl@cs.iastate.edu (Mark M Mehl) (02/16/90)

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) writes:
>In article <92S14F1xds13@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> If the intent is to create a hierarcy that includes at least part of
>> rec.arts.*, then I submit that the name "arts.*" is no less appropriate
>> than "humanities.*", not to mention being shorter, and certainly better
>> than such nauseating abbreviations as "hum.*".
>>
>But humanities is more inclusive, and could reasonably contain
>arts and social sciences.  I dinna think arts could reasonably
>contain social sciences.
         ^^^    ^^^^^^^^
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I think I just heard someone
suggest moving the soc.* hierarchy into a hum.soc.* hierarchy.  Is
this the intended meaning?  (Please note, I'm "not" saying this is a
bad idea; I just want to get some clarification on what's being
proposed when someone mentions hum.* as a new hierarchy.)

As I see it, we are talking about creating a hum.soc.* and a
hum.arts.* on Usenet.  Is this correct?
--
 /\ Mark M Mehl, alias Superticker (Supertickler to some)
<><> Internet: mehl@atanasoff.cs.IAstate.edu

mitchell@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Mitchell Marks) (02/20/90)

mehl> Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I think I just heard someone
mehl> suggest moving the soc.* hierarchy into a hum.soc.* hierarchy.  Is
mehl> this the intended meaning?  (Please note, I'm "not" saying this is a
mehl> bad idea; I just want to get some clarification on what's being
mehl> proposed when someone mentions hum.* as a new hierarchy.)

mehl> As I see it, we are talking about creating a hum.soc.* and a
mehl> hum.arts.* on Usenet.  Is this correct?

I hope not.

There actually seem to be several different proposals, none of them
spelled out in exquisite detail yet (nor should they be, yet).  I'll
try to clarify here what I take to be involved in one line of these
proposals.

The starting point (the "whereas" clause) is the observation, or
claim, that "sci" seems to be functioning as the one top-level node
where people expect to find newsgroups whose contents will in
significant part be serious, professional or semi-professional, maybe
quasi-academic discussions and presentations in fairly well-defined
disciplines that in many cases correspond to academic subjects.  [Of
course "comp" has its own special status.]  Some sort of cognitive
tension arises when the subject fits that description but is not that
clearly scientific -- while remaining clearly not recreational,
computational, socializing, concerned with the operation of the news
network, or miscellaneous.  So where does such a group go?

[The issue comes up in particular when representatives of one school
of thought are asking for a newsgroup which under this description
might go under "sci", and opponents say "Your approach is not
scientific".  Of course I'm talking about the
sci.philosophy.objectivism flap.]

The proposals (in one line of though) suggest that these
quasi-academic groups should fit into the hierarchy in roughly the way
academic subjects are divided into "divisions" or "faculties" in a
(generic) university.  Thus:

  -- Scientific subjects, both biological and physical, remain where
     they are.  [Variant proposals would create "bio" or even separate "bio"
     and "med" top-level nodes.]

  -- Subjects traditionally in the humanities would go under a
     newly-created "hum" top-level category.  This might well include
     all *.philosophy.* groups, even those dealing largely in
     technical matters such as mathematical logic.  It would also
     include SOME but not all of the current rec.arts.* groups; these
     would have to be decided on a case-by-case basis.  It would NOT
     include the traditional "social sciences", such as economics,
     psychology, anthropology, sociology.  History is a toss-up.

  -- Subjects traditionally thought of as falling in the social
     sciences would go into the "soc" hierarchy.  Thus, for example,
     sci.econ becomes soc.econ.
       These groups are then sharing "soc" with existing groups, which
     show a variety of concerns, purposes, and degrees of formality.
     In part this means peaceful coexistence, and in part a
     re-conceptualization of some groups (soc.women/men,
     soc.culture.*) as having been all-along-after-all forums for
     interdisciplinary social science, somewhere in the
     psychology/sociology/anthropology orbit.

I emphasize that this is just one way of characterizing the proposal.
There are a lot of disagreements with specifics of this, and it's hard
to say which are variants within the same general scheme and which are
entirely rival proposals.  But, at a guess, the following seems to be
the main point of one major alternative:

   [ALTERNATIVE]  Do not attempt to distinguish humanities and social
   sciences.  Think of them as "the human sciences", and give them
   just one top-level node.  This might be called "hum" as in the main
   proposal above, or "huma", or "hss" [for "humanities and social
   sciences"].

I won't here get into arguments between the two main proposals.  Do
participants in the discussion think this was a reasonably fair
summary of what's being proposed? [Apart from my device of calling one
"the main proposal" and the other "an alternative proposal".]

--
Mitch Marks    mitchell@cs.UChicago.EDU
  My uncle is sick, but the road is green.

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) (02/23/90)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>If the intent is to create a hierarcy that includes at least part of
>rec.arts.*, then I submit that the name "arts.*" is no less appropriate
>than "humanities.*", not to mention being shorter, and certainly better
>than such nauseating abbreviations as "hum.*".

The problem with "arts" is that most people (including myself) will
relate "arts" to The Arts, such as painting and sculpture and music, et
al.

Maybe it would be a good idea to decide exactly what we want a new
hierarchy (or, hierarchies) to encompass.  That might help us to
categorize and come up with a name.  I agree with the posters who have
suggested that any hierarchical divisions go along the lines of the
departments at universities; most of us can relate to that kind of
classification.

I think that whatever we decide on, some people will think that the
classifications or divisions are too broad, and others will complain
that they're too narrow, and still others will say the divisions group
newsgroups together in ridiculous ways.

My original complaint, which sort of got the idea for a humanities
hierarchy going, was that it seemed to me that some of the sciences that
are not natural sciences, not being welcome (or some say appropriate) in
sci, got dumped into other inappropriate hierarchies, such as talk.  The
sciences that I had in mind were those such as philosophy, psychology,
sociology, etc.  Other people may have other ideas about what kinds of
things belong in what hierarchies; this is what I had in mind.  Just a
nice little place for the more "subjective" sciences.

I've been so busy that I haven't had time to get a college catalog and
see how things are laid out; when I went to graduate school, it was a
professional school that offered a few different degrees, and it's been
so long since I've been an undergraduate that I don't remember how
things are arranged in a liberal arts setting.  Maybe someone could
enlighten us, or I may yet get around to it myself.

>I think a "hum.*" hierarchy should not absorb anything from rec.arts.*,
>but an "arts.*" hierarchy should.

I agree with this last statement.  A hum hierarchy should not absorb
anything from rec.  Recreation is about fun, enjoyment, hobbies.  The
new hierarchy (as I envision it) is going to be about study, science,
conceptualization.

Karen
--
   Karen Valentino  <>  Everex North (Everex Systems)  <>  Sebastopol, CA
       karen@everexn.uu.net      ..{apple, well}!fico2!everexn!karen