[news.groups] Lets do something constructive re: *.aquaria groups

hougen@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dean Hougen) (02/20/90)

In article <RHQ15BAggpc2@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
writes:
>In article <1990Feb13.044748.15122@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> >hougen@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dean Hougen) writes:
>> Don't blame the problems on the existence of 3 groups, lay the blame where
>> it belongs, at the feet of the fools who argued for spotty distribution,
>> and on the turkeys who listened to them.
>Lay the blame at the feet of Richard Sexton, who held a grossly fraudulent
>vote on the group "sci.squaria", and so disgusted a huge portion of the net
>that they refuse to carry it.

I think I was a little hasty with my posting.  The blame actually is more
widespread than either my posting or Peter da Silva's follow-up would
suggest.  In any case, assessing blame is not terribly constructive.  What
we need to do is decide, given the current unacceptable situation of
numerous cross-posts and spotty distribution, what to do.  Its about time
the network proved that it can rise above petty squabling and undo its
mistakes.  If it can't, perhaps it deserves the death I always hear is
imminent because no one believes the net to be worthwhile.  I suggest the
following steps:

1)  Work to improve the distribution of rec.aquaria.  To the best of my
knowledge, no one objects to the idea of a mainstream aquaria group in
the rec. hierarchy.  Yet, as far as I can tell, this group which should
be noncontroversial has a worse distribution than the controversial
sci.aquaria.  Reissuing the newgroup command for rec.aquaria (something
which I do not have the power to do) seems to be the first order of
bussiness.  And if that doesn't do it, E-mail to reluctant site-admins
and postings to the appropriate group(s) in the news. hierarchy should
follow.  BTW, I am *not* saying that all sites need to carry rec.aquaria.
I simply ask that site.admins consider the merits of the group, not any
personal feelings they have for some posters to and/or readers of the
group.  At the least, sites "downstream" should be able to receive it
from their normal source for rec. groups.

2)  Attempt to reach some sort of net.agreement about the existence of
sci.aquaria.  This should come after rec.aquaria gets appropriate
distribution for a rec.* group so that there will be no question that
proponents of sci.aquaria are actually trying to establish a seperate
news.group.  This phase can hopefully be resolved through discussion,
because the guidelines don't really cover voting on an already existing
news.group.  On the other hand, I would be willing to risk losing the
currently poorly distributed sci.aquaria for a chance at a well
distributed sci.aquaria.  I can only speak for myself, not for the
others who participated in the voting.  The result of this phase will
be the issuing of either a newgroup or rmgroup command for sci.aquaria.
Again, it is hoped that site.admins will respect the command, just as
they would any other command (that is, regardless of politics or
personality conflicts; they need not accept a newgroup command if they
feel the subject matter is not something for which the machine owner
would be willing to pay).

3)  Do ??? in the meantime.  Whether or not to crosspost (or to what
extent) while the multiple-half-group situation is being resolved is
very much an open question.  As Richard Link has pointed out, numerous
cross-posts are a pain-in-the-ass-and/or-wallet to many users (and I
fall into this group as my modem at home is mercilessly slow).  And
as Fred Rump and others have mentioned, the cross-posting destroys the
distinction between the groups.  If we really feel that more than one
group is appropriate (as I do), then how can we condone the lumping of
them together (frightening the new aquarists and boring the more
scientific among us)?  Even for those people who wish to read both
groups it would be helpful to have them sorted by level of scientific
content.  These are the arguments of people at sites receiving more than
one .aquaria newsgroup.

On the other hand are the people whose sites only receive one or two of
the groups (and yes, I realize that the intersection of these two sets of
people is non-empty).  They are missing a great deal of what is going on.
But, as Ben Chase asks, is cross-posting necessary?  In the case of these
people, it may not be *necessary* (whatever that word is even supposed to
mean outside of a system of formal logic), but it does rather defeat the
purpose of the network (viz. communication, IMHO) when the readers do not
have access to what is being written.  As a bit of an example, take the
case where one person writes in and asks a question.  No one responds and
you don't know the answer either.  A month later you come across the answer.
What do you do?  Post to the most appropriate news.group, hoping the asker
is lucky enough to get that group?  If the answer is relatively specific to
a situation, then you may well have missed a good part of your target
audience (and an important part, at that) as the person who originally had
enough interest to ask the question may never see your answer.  The flip
side is an answer of general interest.  But now it seems appropriate to
post to everyone likely to be interested.  Or you could just forget about
posting the answer.  Then the communication really has been thrown out the
window.

I'm not even sure that it makes a great deal of difference *what* you
decide to do.  Not only is the distribution of the three groups spotty,
but there is apparently some amount of aliasing going on.  Recently one
poster stuck an article into sci.aquaria, but by the time it showed up on
my machine it was in rec.aquaria, and the only reply to it that I have
seen popped up in alt.aquaria.  It also has not yet arrived at at least
one site which supposedly receives sci.aquaria.  Something needs to be
done!  Not only is it driving the fishheads batty, but it is a real
black-eye for the network.  Will anyone help me clear this up?

Dean Hougen
--
" 'You really think that, don't you?  You really think about it too?',
  The old man scoffed as he spoke to me, 'I'll tell you a thing or two.' "

hougen@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dean Hougen) writes:

>Will anyone help me clear this up?

Well, if I were going to fix the aquaria problem, here's what I'd do. I'd
run one more vote on the net, asking users to choose the best name for the
group:

(example) Rank your preferences for the name of the group 1, 2, 3. If you do
not want a specific group named, leave it blank:

_____ alt.aquaria
_____ rec.aquaria
_____ sci.aquaria

Then count every '1' as five points, every '2' as three points, every '3' as
1 point and every blank as zero points. When the vote is over, the group
with the highest point total wins and the other two are rmgrouped. If you
can show that the voting is valid and doesn't have a lot of highly
politicized or questionable votes, the net will probably go along with the
results -- and at the very least, there'll be a single group with spotty
distribution instead of three groups with various parts amputated.

But then, I'm not going to fix the aquaria problem. Maybe someone else will.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Rumour has it that Larry Wall, author of RN, is a finalist in the race for
the Nobel Peace Prize for his invention of the kill file.

Sorry, no.  Please do not discuss the fish groups in news.groups.  That
topic has had its day here.  It doesn't get another chance.  If you are
so upset about the result then you should have worked to convince the
people invovled that they were doing harm to their own cause.  Discussing
the matter here will not do any more good, because I think I speak for all
when I say we will not tolerate another fish vote and discussion cycle in
this group.

The result was not good, but there is no mechanism in existing USENET
to fix it.  You have to live with it.

In article <38785@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>hougen@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dean Hougen) writes:
>
>>Will anyone help me clear this up?
>
>Well, if I were going to fix the aquaria problem, here's what I'd do. I'd
>run one more vote on the net, asking users to choose the best name for the
>group:
[example deleted for brevity]
>But then, I'm not going to fix the aquaria problem. Maybe someone else will.

The problem I have with this solution is that it *assumes* that what the net
wants and/or what is best for the net is a single aquaria group.  While I
think it is clear that at least one aquaria group is desired (or would at
least be tollerated) in the rec. hierarchy, it is still an open question
about additional possible groups.  I think the net should get a chance to
decide this seperate from the existence of rec.aquaria.  Alot of the bitch-
ing about the sci.aquaria vote was that it was in the way of voting for a
group that no one objected to.

Still hoping there are netters out there who want to clear this mess up
and erase a mark against the net.

Dean Hougen
--
"I used to think the world was flat,
 Rarely threw my hat into the crowd,

In article <99000@looking.on.ca>, brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Sorry, no.  Please do not discuss the fish groups in news.groups.  That
>topic has had its day here.  It doesn't get another chance.

That is a rather negative attitude you've got there Brad.  A great many
goals take more than one try to reach.  That doesn't mean that they are
not worth reaching.

> If you are so upset about the result then you should have worked to
>convince the people invovled that they were doing harm to their own cause.

"The people involved" include everyone who debated the issue, everyone who
voted, and everyone who knew of the debate and/or the vote and sat on the
sidelines.  And yes, they did all wind up hurting themselves.  I did try
to possitively contribute at the time.  We failed to reach an acceptable
solution, and I failed along with everyone else.  Is it so wrong for me to
try again?

> Discussing the matter here will not do any more good, because I think I
>speak for all when I say we will not tolerate another fish vote and
>discussion cycle in this group.

I think you speak only for yourself.  I know you don't speak for all!

>The result was not good, but there is no mechanism in existing USENET
>to fix it.  You have to live with it.

We're people here, not simple machines.  We can resolve this problem if
we try.  BTW, until we do, you have to live with it too.

So, anyone out there like the idea of possitive changes?

Dean Hougen
--
"The news groups are not concerned,
 With what there is to be learned."  - the Clash

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) (02/20/90)

In article <1990Feb20.080137.16494@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu>,
hougen@umn-cs (Dean Hougen) writes:

>So, anyone out there like the idea of possitive changes?

  I love the idea of positive change. If it were only possible,
rmgrouping sci.aquaria and alt.aquaria *now* and then shutting up
about it would fix the problem.

  Too bad it isn't possible...
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"A good punch in the nose IS often effective communication"-- Ken Arndt

bbc@legia.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (02/21/90)

In his first article, creating this thread, Dean Hougen is
level-headed, even-handed, and asks for positive input, and help in
untangling the *.aquaria mess:

>Not only is it driving the fishheads batty, but it is a real
>black-eye for the network.  Will anyone help me clear this up?

Chuck Von Rospach replies with a proposal that assumes that one
aquarium group will suffice (at least one prior vote to the contrary
notwithstanding), and then admits: "But then, I'm not going to fix the
aquaria problem. Maybe someone else will."

In his next article, Dean Hougen is still level-headed, and quite
gracious, admitting the possibility that the popular desire for
multiple aquarium groups is still undecided.

> The problem I have with [Chuq's] solution is that it *assumes* that
> what the net wants and/or what is best for the net is a single aquaria
> group.  While I think it is clear that at least one aquaria group is
> desired (or would at least be tollerated) in the rec. hierarchy, it is
> still an open question about additional possible groups.

Brad Templeton, a man with a network of his own to play in, chimes in
next, with his wonderfully helpful and friendly response:

> Sorry, no.  Please do not discuss the fish groups in news.groups.
> That topic has had its day here.  It doesn't get another chance.

And once again, Dean is still _amazingly_ nice, astounding all
onlookers.  Note in particular his use of the word "rather".  Less
restrained individuals would have chosen something much stronger.

> That is a rather negative attitude you've got there Brad.  A great
> many goals take more than one try to reach.  That doesn't mean that
> they are not worth reaching.  [..]  I think you speak only for yourself.

Gene W. Smith, surprising absolutely nobody as he remains completely
in character, offers us this wonderful advice:

> If it were only possible, rmgrouping sci.aquaria and alt.aquaria *now*
> and then shutting up about it would fix the problem.

(Thankyou, Gene, for your deep insight.  Of course, there is the minor
detail that you've left the thousands of fish-o-philes with only
rec.aquaria, Most Mangled of the Holy *.aquaria Trinity.)

So, what I am waiting for now is to see if Dean can keep it up.  Does
he have the stamina, patience, fortitude, and cool F key to wow us
with a third sensible, well-stated and flame-free post?  Go, Dean!

(Yes, Dean, I do want to help.  Is there anything I can do besides not
posting another article like this? :-)

((After my previous annoyed posts regarding the cross-posting between
the *.aquaria groups, I hacked Gnus enough so that now I can kill
crossposts.  Anyone desiring a copy of my changes can have one.  In
fact, with minor work, you could use it to kill anything cross-posted
from *.aquaria to anywhere else.  Chuq, Brad, and Gene should consider
trying this exciting software, if they use Gnus.))
--
	Ben Chase <bbc@rice.edu>, Rice University, Houston, Texas

werner@zephyr.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (02/21/90)

In article <99000@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Sorry, no.  Please do not discuss the fish groups in news.groups.  That
>topic has had its day here.  It doesn't get another chance.  If you are
>so upset about the result then you should have worked to convince the
>people invovled that they were doing harm to their own cause.  Discussing
>the matter here will not do any more good, because I think I speak for all
>when I say we will not tolerate another fish vote and discussion cycle in
>this group.

>The result was not good, but there is no mechanism in existing USENET
>to fix it.  You have to live with it.

>Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

	a true cleric, if I ever saw one - and of course, famous for
	being Mr. Funny ... :-)

	Anyway, he doesn't speak for me and is otherwise wrong in many
	points.  There certainly is every reason for those people that
	like to discuss fishies to have their forum - and to correct
	whatever mess some dogmatics have blessed us with when they
	forced through that sci.aquaria vote.  I don't understand why
	Brad would want to live with that mess and I don't understand
	why he won't let well-intentioned people fix it.  Shooting himself
	into the other foot over it doesn't make things "even out" ...

	It seems that Chuq's proposal is a good (and very sly) one ...
	someone will probably call "foul" and someone else will probably
	call for a vote to decide if the net is in favor to have a vote
	on the future of "the fish-story" along the lines that Chuq
	suggests .... well, so be it.  As the matter might go, let's
	be fair to fish-lovers (and get them the hell out of here the
	fastest way possible before the matter starts "smelling" again)

					Cheers,		---Werner

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    		werner@cs.utexas.edu

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) (02/21/90)

In article <BBC.90Feb20110114@legia.rice.edu>, bbc@legia
(Benjamin Chase) writes:

>Gene W. Smith, surprising absolutely nobody as he remains completely
>in character, offers us this wonderful advice:

>> If it were only possible, rmgrouping sci.aquaria and alt.aquaria *now*
>> and then shutting up about it would fix the problem.

>(Thankyou, Gene, for your deep insight.  Of course, there is the minor
>detail that you've left the thousands of fish-o-philes with only
>rec.aquaria, Most Mangled of the Holy *.aquaria Trinity.)

  There was a point to my comment, which I guess you didn't get.
I'll spell it out--with rec.aquaria the only fish group, it would
not remain mangled. The problems which beset the fish groups
could then be fixed.
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/Garnetgangster/Berkeley CA 94720
"We never make assertions,  Miss Taggart,"  said Hugh Akston.  "That is

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) (02/23/90)

bbc@legia.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) writes a very sensible (and, IMO
accurate) synopsis of Deans Hougen's attempts to get some interest and
support for "untangling the *.aquaria mess."

I'm not a net.sophisticate, and I'm not a net.technicalwhiz, either.
So I can't be of much help in pronouncing whether it's possible.  But if
it's possible to do it, sure--let it be done.  I'll vote.

Karen
--
   Karen Valentino  <>  Everex North (Everex Systems)  <>  Sebastopol, CA
       karen@everexn.uu.net      ..{apple, well}!fico2!everexn!karen