[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: soc.culture.french

bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) (02/13/90)

                   Formal call for discussion
                   ==========================

 This is the 1st call for discussion for the creation of a French
 soc.culture newsgroup.
 The proposed newsgroup, unmoderated soc.culture.french, is intended
 to generally provide a medium for those interested to express and share
 their views and feelings about *things* (normally discussed in soc.culture
 newsgroups) related to France and Frenchmen.
 The discussion period will last for 2 weeks from today.
 Comments and discussions are welcome provided they are also posted to
 news.groups newsgroup.

*     Bob Boulanger                          Verdix Corporation     *
*     bob@verdix.com                         1600 NW Compton Drive  *
*     (503)690-1116(w) (503)357-4644(h)      Aloha, OR  97006       *

mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) (02/13/90)

In article <233@verdix.verdix.com> bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) writes:
|  The proposed newsgroup, unmoderated soc.culture.french, is intended
|  to generally provide a medium for those interested to express and share
|  their views and feelings about *things* (normally discussed in soc.culture
|  newsgroups) related to France and Frenchmen.

I'm for it, but does it have to be restricted to French culture?  What about
French-Canadian culture?

- Mike
--

dave@cgdco2.ucar.edu (Dave Darr) (02/13/90)

In article <9886W$@rpi.edu> mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) writes:
>In article <233@verdix.verdix.com> bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) writes:
>|  The proposed newsgroup, unmoderated soc.culture.french, is intended
>|  to generally provide a medium for those interested to express and share
>|  their views and feelings about *things* (normally discussed in soc.culture
>|  newsgroups) related to France and Frenchmen.
>
>I'm for it, but does it have to be restricted to French culture?  What about
>French-Canadian culture?

   I'm for it as well, but it should be for francophone culture in
general.. not just France. La Louisiane, le Quebec, l'Afrique francophone..
etc., etc.

-David

mshute@r4.uucp (Malcolm Shute) (02/13/90)

In article <6302@ncar.ucar.edu> dave@cgdco2.ucar.edu (Dave Darr) writes:
>   I'm for it as well, but it should be for francophone culture in
>general.. not just France. La Louisiane, le Quebec, l'Afrique francophone..

Despite the original poster's specification, I expect the group would evolve
to Dave Darr's interpretation anyway.  When looking for somewhere to post
an article pertaining to somewhere which is *French* speaking, the average
new user is going to hit upon the first group with *.french* in the title,
regardless of the group's formal charter.  But yes, the charter ought to
sort this out properly, first, if it is considered to be sufficient of a
problem.

You can count on my 'Yes' vote.
I am a little worried that I might miss the formal call for votes though,
since I rarely stray into either of these groups.  Can someone poke me
when the time comes, please.

Malcolm Shute.         (The AM Mollusc:   v_@_ )        Disclaimer: all

ibuki@flab.fujitsu.co.jp (02/14/90)

In article <6302@ncar.ucar.edu> dave@cgdco2.ucar.edu (Dave Darr) writes:
>   I'm for it as well, but it should be for francophone culture in
>general.. not just France. La Louisiane, le Quebec, l'Afrique francophone..
>etc., etc.

  I also support the creation of this group and including francophone
culture in it. Maybe we could discuss things in New Caledonian
Islands, Haiti, etc. I think we could also include some aspects of
Indochina coutries since there remains influence of French
colonization.
                                               Jun

jp@frog.UUCP (John Pimentel) (02/23/90)

In article <251@verdix.verdix.com> bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) writes:

>                   Formal call for discussion
>                   ==========================
> This is the 1st call for discussion for the creation of a French
> soc.culture newsgroup.
>
> The discussion period will last for 2 weeks from today.
> Comments and discussions are welcome provided they are also posted to
> news.groups newsgroup.

Hold it!  Before you progress any further,  I was under the impression that
ALL formal "<anythings>" had to be announced in the "news.groups" newsgroup
and that your announcement here in this group alone means sqat.

My confusion, for anyone interested, stems from the line stating where this
article is being sent.

I  don't mind  "comments and discussions are welcome provided they are also
posted to news.groups",  but feel that this announcement as well belongs in
that group not just the aftereffects.

I cross-posted this, but it doesn't count as an announcement.  Oops. ;-)

Later.