[news.groups] mercy rule

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (02/17/90)

I propose a mercy rule for new group creation, designed to kick
in when the vote is non-controversial and overwhelmingly positive.
This will let deserving groups be created more quickly and with
less fuss, while preserving the existing structure for most groups.

Discussion period is unchanged, though there need not be a "formal"
call for discussion.  Evidence of two weeks worth of rumor and
innuendo would be enough.

Call for votes is still "formal", i.e. gets cleared through
news.announce.newgroups.

The vote can be ended at any time with the following strict conditions
(subject to haggling of course over the details):

	- minimum 200 more yes votes than no (100)
	- 20 times as many yes votes than no (2)
	- no more than 20 no votes (unlimited)
	- vote may end in 5 days (21)

So a vote of 216 to 5 could be ended 8 days into the voting
period because it's obvious what the outcome would be.  On
the other hand a vote of 236 to 25 is likely to be more
controversial and should wait out the whole period.

I don't know if any of the votes up to now would have been
called by the mercy rule, though if it had been in place
the debacles of alt.fusion and comp.sys.next/alt.next
could have been avoided.

--Ed

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (02/19/90)

In article <EMV.90Feb15175723@duby.math.lsa.umich.edu>, emv@math (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
 `I propose a 'mercy rule' for group creation.  You know the
 `story -- the Bombers are beating the Slugs 234 to 4 in the
 `bottom of the 6th, and it's getting late, and the Slugs
 `really want to go out for beer anyway and graciously
 `concede.  New groups with widespread interest and little
 `controversy should be created quickly.
 `
 `
 `I'm curious to those who have data, which existing proposals
 `this would have affected.

I looked into the votes for comp.text.tex and it passed the 210-10 line
at Jan 19. The call for votes went out on Jan 11, appeared on the net at
sometime between Jan 12 and 15, and the first vote came in Jan 15. Most NO
votes came in very early:
	Jan 16: 7
	Jan 17: 1
	Jan 19: 2
	Jan 22: 1
	Jan 25: 1
	Jan 30: 1
	Feb  3: 1
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

lori@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Lori + 7/9) (02/20/90)

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>I propose a 'mercy rule' for group creation.  [...]
>
>A "mercy rule" vote might look like
>
>     200 more yes votes than no votes
>     95% of the votes are yes (~20x as many yes as no)
>     No more than 20 no votes.
>     2 week discussion, 10 day vote, create group.

I think this is a great idea, but I would add the criterion that "Mercy
Rule" warnings be posted in case there is a NO lobby out there which hasn't
spake its piece.  (All the players on the ballfield should know the score,
so they can either anticipate an early beer break or rally some runs in.)

...lori

woods@snowmass.scd.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (02/20/90)

In article <EMV.90Feb15175723@duby.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>New groups with widespread interest and little
>controversy should be created quickly.

  First, why? Why is a new group proposal so critical that it can't wait a few
weeks? Would the net REALLY have fallen apart if we had had to carry on the
Next discussions in comp.misc for a couple of weeks while a vote was held?
Second, unless a vote is held, how do you determine that there is
"widespread interest"? A few vocal proponents in news.groups does not guarantee
widespread interest.

>If there is an overwhelming preponderance of evidence that the
>group will be created with no substantial opposition, then the
>vote results can be sent in and the group created "early".

  I think this puts way too much power in the hands of the vote-taker. Sure.,
there are some lopsided results, but I really don't see why group proposals
have to be created in such a hurry.  It just isn't that critical.

--Greg

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (02/20/90)

In article <6358@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@snowmass.scd.ucar.edu (Greg
Woods) writes:

   I write:
   >New groups with widespread interest and little
   >controversy should be created quickly.

     First, why? Why is a new group proposal so critical that it can't
   wait a few weeks? Would the net REALLY have fallen apart if we had
   had to carry on the Next discussions in comp.misc for a couple of
   weeks while a vote was held?

Greg, you weren't reading the NeXT discussions.  They were all over
the place -- in comp.misc, comp.sys.mac, comp.arch, four or five
other groups.  Despite the existence of a proper and well-formed
.misc group, human nature took its course and people talked about
the stuff wherever it pleased them.  The net *did* fall apart, at
least for the purpose of discussing that topic.

   Second, unless a vote is held, how do you determine that there is
   "widespread interest"? A few vocal proponents in news.groups does
   not guarantee widespread interest.

A few vocal anything in news.groups is almost a sure sign that the
group has way too much controversy for its own good.  In general
the more heat the less light.  Extended polemics about how a group
should be named such and such is not a reliable indicator.  What
does serve to indicate that a new group would have immediate interest
and quality discussion is the existence of that discussion already
scattered among a number of groups.  If a group could sustain
itself simply by reposting selected articles out of ten or so
existing groups then it has enough interest to make it worthwhile.
Oh yes, then issue the formal call for votes & cross-post it into
the other groups & see what you get.

   >If there is an overwhelming preponderance of evidence that the
   >group will be created with no substantial opposition, then the
   >vote results can be sent in and the group created "early".

   I think this puts way too much power in the hands of the
   vote-taker. Sure., there are some lopsided results, but I really
   don't see why group proposals have to be created in such a hurry.
   It just isn't that critical.

And I think that your arbitrary voting rules put way too much power
into your hands.  What do you gain from delaying except delay ?

   --Greg

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/20/90)

In article <EMV.90Feb19165418@duby.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
   What do you gain from delaying except delay ?

A damping, or at least phase-shifting, effect on behavioral feedback
loops.  More deliberated thinking from the intellect than from the
brain stem or from wrist reflexes.

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (02/21/90)

Actually, I have only one problem with Ed's proposal.  I am worried
about people going off in a stampede and placing a group in the wrong
hierarchy.  If we had much better definitions for the hierarchies,
this wouldn't be so much of a problem.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@TURBO.BIO.NET]

In article <BOB.90Feb20105007@volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <EMV.90Feb19165418@duby.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>   What do you gain from delaying except delay ?
>
>A damping, or at least phase-shifting, effect on behavioral feedback
>loops.  More deliberated thinking from the intellect than from the
>brain stem or from wrist reflexes.

An interesting counter example to this is a network known as USENET.
On this network, for those unfamiliar with it, longer discussion and
"voting" periods actually engender *more* discussion, more tangents and
more bouts of personal attack and overzealous debate.

(Ok, I'm being sarcastic, of course you've heard of USENET)

The delays here do not give us a time to pause and reflect.  They give
some a chance to argue, campaign and look for trouble to make.

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (02/21/90)

[ Eliot worries about a stampede ]

Are you worried about creating groups in the wrong top-level hierarchy
(i.e. sci vs. soc) or in the wrong second-level hierarchy (like
comp.sys vs comp.soft-sys) ?  Or both, I suppose.

If there were good descriptions of the existing hierarchies,
especially the more convoluted ones, it would probably generate
both ideas for new groups and a more clear sense of where new
groups would fit in.

--Ed

tli@phakt.usc.edu (Tony Li) (02/21/90)

In article <EMV.90Feb20233524@duby.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

    If there were good descriptions of the existing hierarchies,
    especially the more convoluted ones, it would probably generate
    both ideas for new groups and a more clear sense of where new
    groups would fit in.

One of my pet ideas for a while has been to have the charter for each
group available as an article somewhere in the tree.  This seems like
a logical extension....

Tony Li - USC Computer Science Department
Internet: tli@usc.edu Uucp: usc!tli
Thus spake the master programmer: "A well written program is its own
heaven; a poorly-written program its own hell."

werner@zephyr.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (02/21/90)

In <Feb.20.13.21.10.1990.5235@turbo.bio.net> lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) writes:
>Actually, I have only one problem with Ed's proposal.  I am worried
>about people going off in a stampede and placing a group in the wrong
>hierarchy.  If we had much better definitions for the hierarchies,
>this wouldn't be so much of a problem.

	oh, but we now have two net-gods watching over news-group proposals
	and creation (Greg moderating rec.announce.newgroups and Chuq
	creating the new groups after the voting is completed) and they
	are quite reasonable (not to say clever) in helping with the
	correct placement of new groups in the name-space.  I'm not worried,
	really...

	I'm not saying that I support Ed's proposal, but rather that I don't
	think Eliot's argument is valid.  "better definitions" sound like
	"hard and fast rules" and I'd rather have some reasonable people
	guiding the process of naming new groups than some inflexible
	definitions ...  for me, Chuq and Greg are good enough definitions
	for the time being...

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    		werner@cs.utexas.edu

In <8254@chaph.usc.edu> tli@phakt.usc.edu (Tony Li) writes:

>One of my pet ideas for a while has been to have the charter for each
>group available as an article somewhere in the tree.  This seems like
>a logical extension....

	yes, yes, yes - such an article should be the first article in
	each news-group and it should never expire but only be superceded
	by a later article (I am not sure if the first one should even
	get deleted when a later one supercedes it - a little history
	of where a group originally came from could prove both useful
	and interesting.  In more recent cases, the call for a creation
	vote with the definition of the group and a highlight of the arguments
	which surfaced during the discussion would also prove useful to keep
	around)

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    		werner@cs.utexas.edu
	     or: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu     (Internet # 128.83.144.1)
UUCP:     ...<well-connected-site>!cs.utexas.edu!werner

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (02/23/90)

Things work well enough now that I do not see a need to get an "obvious"
group created six days earlier.  Who cares if one person's mailbox fills
up?  You say that "NeXT" discussions are running rampant all over the net
and nobody can find them all and read them all?  BFD -- think of it as
less babble and misinformation you have to find.

"Obvious" group creation delayed one week -- Usenet meltdown expected.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

  I still think that we need a net.cabal which can approve a group by
mandate, and in a timely manner. This would not *in any sense* replace
or supercede the current process, but would be in addition to it for
groups which are widely held acceptable, or which are topical. For
topical groups they could also specify a cutoff date, by which the group
would be deleted unless approved in the current manner.

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (02/24/90)

Rich Salz (rsalz@bbn.com) writes:
> Things work well enough now that I do not see a need to get an "obvious"
> group created six days earlier. ...

From where I sit, this assertion about "working well" seems obviously wrong.

I suggest that the person who proposed the "mercy rule" should conduct a
survey on it.  I say "survey" because, in the absence of a formal amending
procedure for the voting guidelines, the results have to be non-binding.
But they might, and I think will, be *convincing*.

--
Mark Brader		"I conducted a Usenet poll ... on this subject ...
Toronto			 Laura is single.  By a 2-1 margin."  -- Ken Perlow

This article is in the public domain.

In article <1990Feb23.183234.23830@sq.sq.com> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:
> I suggest that the person who proposed the "mercy rule" should conduct a
> survey on it.  I say "survey" because, in the absence of a formal amending
> procedure for the voting guidelines, the results have to be non-binding.
> But they might, and I think will, be *convincing*.

Since there is no central authority here, *convincing* is really about the
most that any survey can claim to be. Certainly the results of an official
vote have no power over any site.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \