[news.groups] Soc.culture.canadian?

dzhang@redondo.usc.edu (02/21/90)

I wish there was soc.culture.canadian and I hope someone will lead a
discussion and then collect votes.

Not a reason for a new group per se, but here's a list of soc.culture groups
already in place.  More are on the way, such as .german, .french, .iranian,
.pakistan, .vietnamese.

african         british         greek           jewish          nordic
arabic          celtic          hongkong        korean          sri-lanka
asean           china           indian          latin-america   taiwan
asian           esperanto       japan           misc            turkish

Interested parties please send your messages to and read news.groups.

David

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) (02/21/90)

I'd buy a sco.culture.canadian...

as soon as someone told me the subject matter..

could the discussion be in both french & english, for instance?

I'd vote yes, btw.

nrg

--
"The  mythology  of the  language   machine  is  the   mythology  of a
technologically advanced society which has not yet  come to terms with

Since Canada was the 2nd country to participate in USENET and contains
a reasonable amount of USENET, it should not surprise you to know that there
is already a "can" hierarchy with a variety of groups.

A number of sites in the U.S. get these groups and have participants, mostly
expatriate Canadians.  I am sure you can get a feed of any of the can groups
via NNTP from some of the Canadian sites on the internet, or by phone.
I think even uunet has them.

Of course, they contain lots of USA bashing, so I'm not sure how much
the yanks at your site would enjoy them.  Here are some of them -- there
are a few other minor ones.

	can.general 02377 02349 y
	can.politics 02489 02487 y
	can.ai 00049 00049 y
	can.jobs 00380 00379 y
	can.francais 00207 00207 y
	can.uucp 00116 00116 y
	can.usrgroup 00198 00192 y

En can.francais, on parle francais, mais il y a beaucoup d'anglais aussi.

dzhang@redondo.usc.edu (02/22/90)

	In article <7796@yunexus.UUCP>, gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:
	  could the discussion be in both french & english, for instance?
	  I'd vote yes, btw.

I wouldn't mind if someone will use French, as long as his or her
article is not a follow up of my articles which will be in English.

David

-In article <99620@looking.on.ca>, brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
- Since Canada was the 2nd country to participate in USENET and contains
- a reasonable amount of USENET, it should not surprise you to know that there
- is already a "can" hierarchy with a variety of groups.

- 	can.general
- 	can.jobs

I still like to see soc.culture.canadian.  But meanwhile I would consider
a feed or a mailing list for the above two can. groups.  Any pointers and
suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance,

David

xxzst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Xiaoqun X. Zhang) (02/22/90)

Now Possibly at Univ. of Oklahoma or OK state university

Expires:
possibly at Univ of Oklahoma.
Please respond to my address at once.

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Ray Dunn) (02/23/90)

In referenced article, brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Since Canada was the 2nd country to participate in USENET and contains
>a reasonable amount of USENET, it should not surprise you to know that there
>is already a "can" hierarchy with a variety of groups.

Although people outside Canada are probably interested to know of the
existence of these groups within Canada, I don't think it's relevant to the
suggestion that soc.culture.canada should be created.

Discussions take place in soc.culture.* groups from a totally different
perspective than in the local groups.

Discussions in can.politics about Mulroney, Wilson, or the latest budget,
although relevant in a world-wide group, would be interrupted and diluted by
people asking who Wilson is (although that question is also often asked
here in Canada (:-)), and about the background to the budget etc.
Information that is "taken as read" by the local participants.

In the same way as soc.culture.british is spending most of its time
discussing differences between the UK and the rest of the world, I'm sure
the groups local to the UK hardly ever discuss such topics, or do so from a
more parochial angle.

>A number of sites in the U.S. get these groups and have participants, mostly
>expatriate Canadians.  I am sure you can get a feed of any of the can groups
>via NNTP from some of the Canadian sites on the internet, or by phone.
>I think even uunet has them.

For similar reasons I'm very much against this.  Local distribution groups
should *not* be fed to a wider area, it defeats one of the purposes of the
restricted distribution - not only that the world is not interested in the
local topic (which it may be), but that the locals are not interested in
having their discussions in public.

Keep local groups local - create *different* groups for world-wide
distribution!
--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmtl.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray

In referenced article, dzhang@redondo.usc.edu writes:
>I wouldn't mind if someone will use French, as long as his or her
>article is not a follow up of my articles which will be in English.

I'm sure they will appreciate that you wont mind!  Yes, we're well on our
way, the correct flavour for soc.culture.canadian is already being
established.....

[Read with sarcastic tone - Canadian readers of both solitudes should get my
point, certainly if they've been participating in can.general over the past
few months, where a boisterous argument, often patronizing like the above, at
worst bigoted, went on about the correctness of posting in French to
can.general or can.politics, and in can.francais where most French postings
are followed up by a stream of them in English]

If soc.culture.canada is going to turn into just another forum where
English speaking and French speaking Canadians can shout at each other, I
would vote a thousand times "NO", right now!
--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmtl.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray
600 Dr Frederik Philips Blvd | TEL : (514) 744-8200  Ext : 2347 (Phonemail)
St Laurent. Quebec.  H4M 2S9 | FAX : (514) 744-6455  TLX : 05-824090

tobis@vms.macc.wisc.edu (02/26/90)

it is for an escapee - er, uh, - expatriate to get news of
the home country here in the usa.

this brings up another subject - info about the net, for a
computer literate net novice in this case. what is the protocol
for setting up new groups. net.news.newusers, or whatever its
called, looks empty to me, btw. where is all the info kept?
who's running this show? can i read groups not available at my
site? how? what's the appropriate forum for this type of
question? etc. etc. apologies for this paragraph.

also apologies for not having linked in a decent text editor yet.

no apologies for all lower case, though.

dzhang@redondo.usc.edu (02/27/90)

I'm forwarding a message which the author said could be posted.

Since I post my original "soc.culture.canadian?" article recently,
there has some discussion in this group with all messages favoring
creation of soc.culture.canadian.  As I said in my original message,
I still hope someone (other than me) will lead a formal discussion
and then take votes.  Any one?

Also in this group I read an article from Japan suggesting the
creation of certain groups, such as soc.culture.canadian,
soc.culture.australian, without voting.  Any comments about this,
spefially from net-policy-making people?

David

------------
From: "m. r. erskine-richmond" <globalcp@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>
To: dzhang@redondo.USC.EDU, in00@musicb.mcgill.ca, anton@vax2.concordia.ca,
        jv@mh.nl, RDC@vms.cis.pitt.edu, peg!ianp@labrea.stanford.edu,
        web!robrien@labrea.stanford.edu, cdp!gn!viv@labrea.stanford.edu,
        cdp!gn!mikej@labrea.stanford.edu,
        usernenc%sfu.bitnet@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject: Re: soc.culture.canadian/canada +
soc.culture.global/soc.culture.future         soc.culture.mosaic ? (was:
Hong Kong Students in Canada)
Date: 	Sat, 24 Feb 90 12:26:48 EST

I would like to second your call for a soc.culture.canada - not just for
Hong Kong students in Canada - but for general discussion of topics relating
to Canadians and Canadian cultural issues.  Additionally, being a mosaic
culture, Canada might find it well to link with other mosaic cultures -
eg. Australia, New Zealand, the USA, USSR, UK, etc., etc. - as these are all
potential leaders on the path to globalization - which is also a call for both
soc.culture.global and another for soc.culture.future!  There is presently no
soc.culture.pacific or soc.culture.mosaic! However for Chinese in Canada - you
do at least have soc.culture.china.

For all globe-trotting and/or global-communicating late-20th century residents
of Earth, GLOBALIZATION makes great sense ... perhaps out-distancing all other
processes of self-identification.  However, since travellers feel cut off from
ties in other countries in which reside family, friends and fond associations
- I sympathize with other ex-patriates.   Therefore, I suggest that new
soc.culture.----- topics should be able to start to fill the remaining voids,
without needing to be voted on.  (Others will join as soon as a door opens).
There needs to be a generous open-door policy for ethnic and national cultural
sharings, plus trans-national futuristic and global cultural groups.

So I support the idea of a soc.culture.canada - and ask (being new to these
newsgroups), how to make this issue reach out to the users in general? -
I think these groups need inter-ethnic group sharing periodically, also.
This keeps groups from becoming isolated and helps with reaching out and
finding multicultural bonds.

I would like to share this concept with all users - this letter could be
reposted.
Hope to hear from you and from others who support these issues.
Cheers!
Melcir Erskine-Richmond (globalcp@gpu.utcs.utoronto)
More usually at globalcp@uvcw.UVic.ca/globalcp@UVVM.UVic.ca