[news.groups] Real science groups and fake ones

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) (02/27/90)

In article <59506@ccicpg.UUCP>, dave@ccicpg ( Dave Hill) writes:

>If you would stop to READ the groups you'd see the difference
>between the rec group and the sci group.  The rec group is most
>definitely a 'hobby' group.  Novice fish keeping questions.

  I did this, and it's true. Sci.aquaria is in effect
rec.aquaria.wizards, for experienced and dedicated hobbyists. It
is just as much of a hobby group as rec.aquaria is, however.

>The sci group is carrying as much hard science as any of the other
>sci groups.  How doesn't it fit into the hierarchy?  It's a sci
>group, they talk sci.  What's the problem?

  This is false. In a REAL goddamn science group, there are real
goddamn scientists talking about their special subject as a good
part of the mix. If sci.astro had *only* hobbyists talking about
their 8" Newtonians, it would be just like sci.aquaria, and it
would be a "rec" group. In fact, sci.astro has astronomers,
sci.physics has physicists, sci.math has mathematicians, sci.lang
has linguists, and so forth for some but not all of the other sci
groups.  These are the real science groups, the rest don't
belong.

  Science is concerned with finding things out. Hobbyists talk
about aquatic life as a part of their hobby, but the talk is in
aid of their hobby, not in aid of understanding aquatic life.

  Incidently, anus-breath, follow-up to "misc.test" is a game
for alt.flame or talk.bizarre, not here.
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith     Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"You and I as individuals can, by borrowing, live beyond our means, but

richman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael Richman) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb27.102423.20910@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>In article <59506@ccicpg.UUCP>, dave@ccicpg ( Dave Hill) writes:
>
>>If you would stop to READ the groups you'd see the difference
>>between the rec group and the sci group.  The rec group is most
>>definitely a 'hobby' group.  Novice fish keeping questions.
>
>  I did this, and it's true. Sci.aquaria is in effect
>rec.aquaria.wizards, for experienced and dedicated hobbyists. It
>is just as much of a hobby group as rec.aquaria is, however.
>
>>The sci group is carrying as much hard science as any of the other
>>sci groups.  How doesn't it fit into the hierarchy?  It's a sci
>>group, they talk sci.  What's the problem?
>
>  This is false. In a REAL goddamn science group, there are real
>goddamn scientists talking about their special subject as a good
>part of the mix. If sci.astro had *only* hobbyists talking about
>their 8" Newtonians, it would be just like sci.aquaria, and it
>would be a "rec" group. In fact, sci.astro has astronomers,
>sci.physics has physicists, sci.math has mathematicians, sci.lang
>has linguists, and so forth for some but not all of the other sci
>groups.  These are the real science groups, the rest don't
>belong.

Gene, you disappoint me.  What makes a REAL scientist so special that
they must have their own groups?  Ninety percent of all posters to
sci.* groups are either computer scientists or students.  Science is
for the masses.  I you want to talk serious science, no one will put
state of the art findings on the net.  I would destroy their chances
for obtaining more funding.  What we find, with few exceptions, is a
popularized version of science equivalent to what you might read in
_Scientific American_ or _Science_ (at best).  Your contempt for this
sort of science is disturbing.  I'd suggest that you read all of the
"sci.*" groups over the next week and carefully consider your words.
One key aspect of science is that your findings ought to be useful in
some applied sense and there be an active interplay (feedback) between
those who your results impact and your experimental design.  After
perusing all of the sci.* groups the U of IL carries, my observations
are that several groups largely fit your definition of REAL science,
several others are applied (or offer active interplay between theory
and application) and several others are nearly all about how people
feel about "science", in the broadest sense:

1. sci.astro is over 50% discussions on observing stars and telescope
   construction. [I don't feel that this makes it any less scientific
   as "hobbyists" have made frequent contributions to the science]

2. sci.electronics has a large number of discussions on how to
   construct widgets or the merits of Radio Shack part number 12345.

3. sci.energy concerns itself with all types of energy, their perceived
   effects on the environment and safety.

4. sci.environment has been discussing the merits of the Greenpeace
   organization.

5. sci.misc has a wide range of topics discussed, many of which would
   not pass your definition of REAL science.

6. sci.philosophy.meta ought to be where you discuss your definition of
   REAL science.

7. sci.physics.fusion was (and still is) discussing the cold fusion
   debacle.

8. sci.psychology has several articles on ESP.

9. sci.skeptic has an active discussion on antigravity and satanism.

10. sci.space.shuttle has had a fair number of inquiries on "How do I
    become an astronaut", the addresses for "space camps", etc.

11. sci.virtual-worlds discusses deprivation chambers.

So what's wrong with all of the above?  I would state that they are all
science or science-related in some way.  Who am I to define science?
Just as hobbyists have made contributions to astronomy, they have also
helped out in aquaculture.  Science and hobby are not a step function;
they blend into one another.  Discussions on species of bacteria which
denitrify filter beds, pathology of fish diseases and most other topics
which have appeared in the non-cross posts in sci.aquaria ought to fall
somewhere in the range of REAL science I have outlined in 1 -- 11
above.

>  Science is concerned with finding things out. Hobbyists talk
>about aquatic life as a part of their hobby, but the talk is in
>aid of their hobby, not in aid of understanding aquatic life.

The reason a fair number of us collect and keep fish is to observe how
these organisms survive and reproduce.  I posit that your definition of
science is parochial.

>  Incidently, anus-breath, follow-up to "misc.test" is a game
>for alt.flame or talk.bizarre, not here.

This doesn't deserve a reply of any sort (sigh...)

>--
>ucbvax!garnet!gsmith     Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
>"You and I as individuals can, by borrowing, live beyond our means, but
>only for a limited period of time. Why should we think that collectively,
>as a nation, we are not bound by that same limitation?" -- Ronald Reagan

=  Mike Richman    smart internet/bitnet/uucp: mrichman@uiuc.edu  =
=  U of Illinois   old bitnet: mrichman%uiuc.edu@uiucvmd          =
=  Water Survey    old uucp: uunet!uiuc.edu!mrichman              =

rdd@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb27.102423.20910@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>>The sci group is carrying as much hard science as any of the other
>>sci groups.  How doesn't it fit into the hierarchy?  It's a sci
>>group, they talk sci.  What's the problem?
>
>  This is false. In a REAL goddamn science group, there are real
>goddamn scientists talking about their special subject as a good
>part of the mix.

Gee, golly, that would be a SWELL idea, but it has absolutely no bearing on
reality (guess you're not a scientist, or you would have noticed that, huh?).
Gene Spafford's list of active newsgroups gives this definition for "sci":
"Discussions intended as technical in nature and relating to the established
sciences."

I (and obviously other people) have interpreted this as: "topics technical in
nature, which don't fit into the comp.* hierarchy, and which are too formal to
fit into the rec.* hierarchy."  *Tradition* counts for a lot here--sci.* has
never been some elite "for scientists" stem; it's been "about science."  There
is no indication of any need to change that.

>If sci.astro had *only* hobbyists talking about
>their 8" Newtonians, it would be just like sci.aquaria, and it
>would be a "rec" group. In fact, sci.astro has astronomers,

Amateur astronomers provide important contributions to the *science* of astron-
omy, bub.

>sci.physics has physicists, sci.math has mathematicians, sci.lang
>has linguists, and so forth for some but not all of the other sci
>groups.

> These are the real science groups, the rest don't belong.

Thanks for defining the Gospel according to Gene Smith.  Perhaps you could
help me out with a question--in forming sci.aeronautics, I was looking for
an "eng"ineering stem.  Couldn't find one.  Yes, sci.aeronautics split from
rec.aviation, and yes, it does seem to be more applied engineering than any-
thing else.  By your criteria, it doesn't have a place in sci.*, and I'm
alarmed at the possibility of its proper place being rec.*.  Please, do apply
your superior organizational skills to this problem and solve our quandary.

>  Incidently, anus-breath, follow-up to "misc.test" is a game
               ^^^^^^^^^^^
>for alt.flame or talk.bizarre, not here.

Uh-huh... right...  There sure do seem to be some rather outspoken individuals
permeating the net these days.  Just a few weeks ago, some uptight people not-
ified the universe that comp.graphics was not a *learning* forum, but, rather,
a forum for the esteemed elite, discussing "advanced" topics, and that the
rabble ought not to occupy the bandwidth.  Smith's post strikes me as rep-
resentative of the same close-minded spirit.  Yeah, it'd be nice if use(r)-net
had antiseptic groups for "scholarly" discussion of materials, but (a) the
users don't seem to want it, and (b) I have grave doubts as to whether Real
(TM) academics would risk their reputations on a forum like this (graduate
students excepted, but do they count?  Naaaah).

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb27.102423.20910@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

>would be a "rec" group. In fact, sci.astro has astronomers,
>sci.physics has physicists, sci.math has mathematicians, sci.lang
>has linguists, [...]

Sci.skeptic has, er, ah ....
--
							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

" Maynard) (02/28/90)

In article <12412@nigel.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:
>In article <1990Feb27.102423.20910@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>>would be a "rec" group. In fact, sci.astro has astronomers,
>>sci.physics has physicists, sci.math has mathematicians, sci.lang
>>has linguists, [...]
>Sci.skeptic has, er, ah ....

...been a big mistake. Just like the original subject of this flame war:
sci.aquaria. The difference? sci.skeptic's creator has admitted the mistake.
Richard Sexton and his Sycophants(tm) haven't.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.