[news.groups] Why I voted against rec.food.recipes

dsill@ophiuchi.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (03/01/90)

If you've followed this discussion from its beginnings in
rec.food.cooking, you'll remember that I was an early, vocal supporter
of the rec.food.recipes idea.  In fact, I supported it throughout the
discussion period.  It wasn't until I received the Call for Votes, and
clarified the proposed charter with the vote holder and proposed
moderator, Andrew Mossberg, that I decided to vote against the group.

In article <1990Feb19.000030.680@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>,
aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:

> rec.food.recipes	Recipes and only recipes (Moderated)

I think rec.food.recipes should be for recipes *and recipe requests*.
Why should someone interested only in posting and saving recipes be
required to read rec.food.cooking and rec.food.veg to get recipe
requests?  Why should someone who wants a recipe have to post their
request in one group and look for the recipes in another?

The posting of recipe requests on rec.food.cooking and rec.food.veg
will encourage recipe followups to be posted there, instead of
rec.food.recipes.  Moderating rec.food.recipes will keep inappropriate
postings out of r.f.r, but it won't keep recipes out of r.f.c and
r.f.v.

It's too bad this issue wasn't clearly resolved during the discussion
period; I suspect most r.f.r supporters would agree that requests
belong there too.

Dave Sill (dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil)

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (03/01/90)

In article <1990Feb28.160408.28672@relay.nswc.navy.mil> dsill@ophiuchi.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) writes:

>I think rec.food.recipes should be for recipes *and recipe requests*.
>Why should someone interested only in posting and saving recipes be
>required to read rec.food.cooking and rec.food.veg to get recipe
>requests?  Why should someone who wants a recipe have to post their
>request in one group and look for the recipes in another?

I'm easy. If people want recipe requests there too that's fine with me.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
No matter whether th' constitution follows th' flag or not, th' supreme coort