[news.groups] Do not reorganize comp.sys.mac.*

stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky) (03/08/90)

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) in Message-ID: <39146@apple.Apple.COM> writes:

    If you feel that a name is not appropriate, rank it with 'NA'. If you
    have no preferences, don't rank the work. Here's how I'll count this:
    the name ranked 1 will get 5 points, 2nd three, third two and fourth 1.
    Names not mentioned (no preference) will get zero. Names marked 'NA'
    will get minus 2 (-2).

This is not one of methods previously proposed or used for selection on Usenet.
And there is no evidence that it does a good job or works fairly.

In Message-ID: <77475@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> RD Francis
<francis@cis.ohio-state.edu> said:
>If we were to issue this proposal one
>request at a time (thank goodness we won't be, but for the sake of
>argument...) I guess my question is would there be an incentive to get
>these groups created.

There are no guidelines for creating more than one group at a time (this was
pointed out to me strongly, see enclosed below), and none for renaming. It is
very hard to predict the outcome of multiple changes. The most needed new group
should be created. After a few months of heavy cross-posting the actual
character of the new group, and thereby, the remainder of c.s.m, will become
obvious. Then further changes can be considered.

Each renaming results in some newsreaders and mailing lists going out of action.
No group should be renamed just to "fit" logically. If absolutely necessary a
new group can be created. After people stop using the old one, it can die a
peaceful death.

This proposed process for restructuring puts too much power in the hands the
organizer. It becomes almost impossible for the bad aspects of a big proposal to
be eliminated by others.

Any deviation from accepted guidelines leads to loss of distribution. The
comp.groupware vote showed that even minor deviations (i. e., the use of
preferential voting) can lead to substantial reductions. It would be foolish to
damage the Mac groups this way.

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 08:52:53 PST
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuq@apple.com>
To: allbery@uunet.UU.NET, newgroup@ncar.ucar.edu, stodol@diku.dk,
        uunet.uu.net.bill@twwells.com
[....]

The precedents in USENET are simple. there are no simultaneous creation of
groups, and you don't create multiple groups with a single vote. I covered
that in a previous mailing, so I won't repeat myself.
[....]
As newgroup czar, I'd be willing to create comp.groupware. I think the vote
and procedure were close enough to what's proper that this can be justified.
Under no circumstances can I justify comp.groupware.f, for reasons I've
discussed in previous mailings, and because I won't support multiple group
creations under a single vote.
[....]
I, for one, am tired of watching people decide they can use or ignore the
guidelines, depending on what's to their advantage. They should either be
enforced, fixed or thrown out. Until the net decides to do either of the
latter, I'm going to enforce them to the best of my ability.
"comp.groupware" is close enough that it can be created under the
guidelines. Tossing in "comp.groupware.f" however, pushes the request into
unacceptability.
 -------------------end enclosures---------------------------

Please note that these enclosures were made public by being send to the list
newgroup@ncar.ucar.edu and in any case are part of the public business of
Usenet. They remain copyright of the author, but are in the public domain.
--
David S. Stodolsky                           Internet:  david@ruc.dk
Department of Psychology                             :stodol@diku.dk

stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky) writes:

I'm sending followups to this to news.groups, which is where this discussion
should be. comp.sys.mac should be for macintosh discussions only.

>This is not one of methods previously proposed or used for selection on Usenet.
>And there is no evidence that it does a good job or works fairly.

>There are no guidelines for creating more than one group at a time (this was
>pointed out to me strongly, see enclosed below), and none for renaming.

David evidently is coming in in the middle of all of this. The first thing
that was done in this proposal was run a binding survey on whether or not
the variances from the guidelines were acceptable to the net. That vote
passed overwhelmingly, aroung 175 yes to 5 no. I don't believe David was one
of the no's, for what it matters. So his arguments that the proposal doesn't
meet the guidelines is irrelevant -- the net has already accepted the
variances as being acceptable *in this case* (note: not a general change in
guidelines. A one time variance).

>It is
>very hard to predict the outcome of multiple changes. The most needed new group
>should be created. After a few months of heavy cross-posting the actual
>character of the new group, and thereby, the remainder of c.s.m, will become
>obvious. Then further changes can be considered.

It was done this was specifically to avoid spending the next two years
reorganizing something that's in serious trouble. I don't know about you,
but I have better things to do than hold constant votes and discussions.
Again, David's argument, based on the votes the net has done, is irrelevant.

If people feel the that the re-org is bad, they should argue about it *in
news.group only*, not here. C.s.m is bad enough already. And they should
make sure to vote no on the parts of the ballot they feel are inappropriate
when the voting period starts.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All spirits are enslaved which serve things evil -- Shelley

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (03/09/90)

According to stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky):
>There are no guidelines for creating more than one group at a time (this was
>pointed out to me strongly, see enclosed below), and none for renaming. It is
>very hard to predict the outcome of multiple changes. The most needed new
>group should be created. After a few months of heavy cross-posting the actual
>character of the new group, and thereby, the remainder of c.s.m, will become
>obvious. Then further changes can be considered.

The man has a point.

Mr. Stodolsky was roundly criticized for trying to piggyback the group
comp.groupware.f onto the back of the comp.groupware vote.  Admirably,
he took his medicine and didn't make a stink.

Now we have Chuq trying to do the same thing he criticized earlier.
Although I do not doubt that Chuq is trying to fill a need, I cannot
believe that the world will come to an end if we have to wait through
several votes.  And if a hurry is required, we'll just have to run
them concurrently.

Chuq, well known or not, should follow the same guidelines as the rest
of us.  If we make an exception, then the guidelines really are a
sham, and should be repealed without delay.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT   <chip%tct@ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>
          "The Usenet, in a very real sense, does not exist."

dveditz@dbase.A-T.COM (Dan Veditz) (03/09/90)

to which stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky) responds:
>  This is not one of methods previously proposed or used for selection on
>  Usenet.  And there is no evidence that it does a good job or works fairly.

One of the problems we've been having is how to pick names.  There
aren't any guideline yet; this is an experiment.  I'd prefer simple
STV, but this seems to work well enough for a preliminary vote on
reasonably non-controversial names.  I imagine Chuq would have held a
more formal name survey if there had been a lot of flamage.

>  No group should be renamed just to "fit" logically. If absolutely
>  necessary a new group can be created. After people stop using the
>  old one, it can die a peaceful death.

I assume you refer to the c.s.mac ==> c.s.m.misc renaming.  This was
not proposed to make it "fit" better, but to cut down on the cross-
and mis-posting.  If c.s.mac.misc wins and c.s.mac is not removed
then we just have the current problems plus one group worse.

>  This proposed process for restructuring puts too much power in the
>  hands the organizer. It becomes almost impossible for the bad aspects
>  of a big proposal to be eliminated by others.

Chuq has proposed, and held a confidence vote on, multiple concurrent
votes.  Each aspect of the proposal stands on its own.  If there are
"bad aspects" let's hear about it.  Something along the lines of
"I urge a NO vote on point X because..." would get the ball rolling,
or "I think point X should be split into...", "X and Y should be
combined into..."

If you have some complaints I want to hear about it before the
vote -- that's what a discussion period is for.

>  [David quotes two letters from Chuq saying that he is
>   against creation of multiple groups from a single vote.]

I'm not sure how the .groupware vote went, but Chuq mentioned creating
multiple groups with a *single* vote.  In his current proposal there
will be multiple votes, albeit simultaneously.

Look, you're obviously unhappy with Chuq's proposal, but the only
concrete complaints I saw were about the voting *procedure*.  If you
see something in the proposal that will damage the mac groups themselves,
please bring it up.

-Dan Veditz      dveditz@dbase.A-T.com
                 { uunet | ncar!cepu }!ashtate!dveditz

In article <25F6D310.5483@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> Mr. Stodolsky was roundly criticized for trying to piggyback the group
> comp.groupware.f onto the back of the comp.groupware vote.  Admirably,
> he took his medicine and didn't make a stink.

> Now we have Chuq trying to do the same thing he criticized earlier.

There's one major difference. The very first thing Chuq did was run a poll
on whether or not this was OK in this particular case. The result of this
poll was overwhelmingly positive (like over a hundred to less than twenty).
The comp.groupware.f was sprung without any discussion. And there was no
way to vote for or against each group individually.

> Although I do not doubt that Chuq is trying to fill a need, I cannot
> believe that the world will come to an end if we have to wait through
> several votes.  And if a hurry is required, we'll just have to run
> them concurrently.

Which is exactly what Chuq's doing. He's running the several votes
concurrently, just with one single call for votes. Would you be happier
if he issued 6 or 8 seperate calls?
--
 _--_|\  `-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \  'U`

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>There's one major difference. The very first thing Chuq did was run a poll
>on whether or not this was OK in this particular case. The result of this
>poll was overwhelmingly positive (like over a hundred to less than twenty).

The current result, including the negative comments I've seen on the net
(there were, I think, three: David, Tim and someone else) is about 175 yes,
10 no. Neither Tim nor David brought this up during the discussion of
whether the form of the call for votes was appropriate (or if they did,
it never arrived here at apple) and neither formally voted on the procedure
when the vote was open for discussion and voting.

It doesn't seem to be logical to consider that ten negative votes outweighs
175 positive votes, especially when three of those negative votes were never
sent by mail and are being counted even though the voting has long since
been closed.

And, as I have mentioned on multiple occasions, when the formal call for
vote comes out on Monday, people will have a chance to either vote 'no' on
the parts of the proposal they don't like, or vote 'no' on every one of the
ballot proposals if they feel strongly about it.

USENET likes to consider itself a democracy where everyone gets a vote and
has a say in how things are done. I think this reorg touches the heart of
that wish: guidelines are exactly that, guidelines. In *every* place where
I've deviated from the guidelines, I've asked the net for permission. In
*every* place it's been done openly and the net has had a chance to say yes
or no. When the net has disagreed with me, I've listened and modified the
proposal. I've kept people as involved as I possibly could. When there was
any question of propriety, I've asked, and I've followed what the net told
me. If that's not the essence of USENET, I don't know what is.

And now two or three people feel their will is more important than the
couple of hundred who are enthusiastically for this proposal? I don't see
that as reasonable, which is why I'm not delaying the vote or modifying the
proposal.

Besides, there is *still* one more vote coming. If people really don't like
this proposal, they can still vote it down. All of this previous discussion
and debate and surveys and voting were preliminaries designed to build a
ballot. Now USENET can either vote the items on the ballot up or down. My
argument is simple: let the people decide. If they think David or Tim are
right, they'll vote the ballot down. If they think David or Tim are wrong,
they'll vote in the parts of the ballot they think should be implemented.
It's not up to me, or to Tim or to David to subvert that process.

>The comp.groupware.f was sprung without any discussion. And there was no
>way to vote for or against each group individually.

The other major difference between this reorg and comp.groupware, and one
that is just as important: comp.groupware was being created from scratch and
there was no justified need for two groups. Comp.sys.mac is an existing,
large and vibrant hierarchy of its own that needed some rehabilitation.
There's no argument that an excess of volume exists already and that
creating a single group simple wouldn't have been enough -- we would have
been back with Yet Another C.S.M proposal in two or three months, and with
the growth we've seen there, within a year or so there would simply be a
permanent c.s.m dicussion/voting proposal floating around. The whole purpose
of this was to try to avoid getting into a situation where it was broken to
the point it couldn't be fixed.

The point is this: the comp.groupware.f hassle was a situation were the
guidelines were to a good degree ignored or misinterpreted. I don't think it
was handled as cleanly as it could have been -- the proposal should have
been cleaned up before it went to the call for votes, rather than after the
fact like it was. I wasn't involved in that setup until the last minute,
however. There really is no real similarity except in the mind of David, who
still seems to be upset that he didn't get his way while I seem to be
getting mine. The reason the situations are different, however, is that I've
been very careful to define 'my way' as being what the net wants, and I did
that by asking permission every time I did something, and, ultimately giving
the net the final say on every issue independently rather than lumping
multiple decisions into a single vote. The net can STILL say yes or no on
any item. If I was really trying to force my agenda through, I would have
simply handed out a ballot and told people to vote 'yes' or 'no' -- which,
frankly, would have been a LOT less work on my part than this proposal has
been.

chuq (if I had, it probably would have failed, too. One thing I've learned
      about the net: they like to be involved. Throw something in the
      nets collective face, and the net is likely to stomp on it. Keep
      them involved, and they'll happily work WITH you).

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All spirits are enslaved which serve things evil -- Shelley

In article <25F6D310.5483@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky):
>
>Mr. Stodolsky was roundly criticized for trying to piggyback the group
>comp.groupware.f onto the back of the comp.groupware vote.  Admirably,
>he took his medicine and didn't make a stink.

As I recall, he tried to stick it on after discussion, not before.  And he
didn't run a separate vote for the '.f' group, he assumed that a vote for
comp.groupware was a vote for the '.f' group.

>Now we have Chuq trying to do the same thing he criticized earlier.
>Although I do not doubt that Chuq is trying to fill a need, I cannot
>believe that the world will come to an end if we have to wait through
>several votes.  And if a hurry is required, we'll just have to run
>them concurrently.
>
>Chuq, well known or not, should follow the same guidelines as the rest
>of us.  If we make an exception, then the guidelines really are a
>sham, and should be repealed without delay.

They aren't a sham (though certain net.people think so), they just aren't
THE LAW.  They are GUIDELINES.  In any case, since Chuq is running concurrent
votes in the same call for votes, the scheme is equivalent to running separate
concurrent votes, just more convenient.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (03/10/90)

In article <25F6D310.5483@tct.uucp>, chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> According to stodol@diku.dk (David Stodolsky):
> >There are no guidelines for creating more than one group at a time (this was
> >pointed out to me strongly, see enclosed below), and none for renaming. It is
> >very hard to predict the outcome of multiple changes. The most needed new
> >group should be created. After a few months of heavy cross-posting the actual
> >character of the new group, and thereby, the remainder of c.s.m, will become
> >obvious. Then further changes can be considered.
>

> Now we have Chuq trying to do the same thing he criticized earlier.

Are we to believe that 180 responses to chuq is really a quorum.

Perhaps chuq would be more advised to take a weeks traffic and
tell us (title lines only) how he would have distributed them differently,
and then each of us can judge whether we would have not wanted to read
the subsection these fell into.

This looks to me a way to fracture comp.sys.mac into littler peices with
only one beneficiary, chuq.

Should chuq wish to take this as a vote, consider is NO, on any and all changes.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (03/10/90)

In article <1381@lzsc.ATT.COM> hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
>Are we to believe that 180 responses to chuq is really a quorum.
>
>Perhaps chuq would be more advised to take a weeks traffic and
>tell us (title lines only) how he would have distributed them differently,
>and then each of us can judge whether we would have not wanted to read
>the subsection these fell into.
>
>This looks to me a way to fracture comp.sys.mac into littler peices with
>only one beneficiary, chuq.

1. This argument belongs in news.groups
2. This has already been hashed over.  A call for votes on whether to allow
   a bulk-reorganization was made to news.announce.newgroups (or whatever).
3. The vote for allowing a bulk reorganization passed.  If your vote
   wasn't counted because you didn't bother to vote, tough.

There will be a final voting once discussion and suggestions on the best way
to reorganize have been processed by Chuq.  He's trying to do a job which
many people think needs to be done.  If you don't think it needs to be
done, fine.  You'll get a chance to vote (once again...) on whether the
reorganization will happen.  100 more YES votes than NO votes means it'll
be reorganized.  If you feel it's better to leave it alone and not split
it, the please do your part and vote.

>Should chuq wish to take this as a vote, consider is NO, on any and all changes.

Sorry, but votes are not being taken at this time.  I'd recommend reading
news.groups and news.announce.newgroups so you'll be sure not to miss
your chance at voting.

Lastly, please folks, move this discussion to news.groups. It's where it
belongs.  I'll make my final decision when the proposal on how the groups
are to be reorganized comes up for vote.  I've mailed my suggestions
to Chuq and if I'm really concerned, I'll tune into news.groups.

ALL followups to news.groups, PLEASE!

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) (03/10/90)

 > Are we to believe that 180 responses to chuq is really a quorum.

170 to 10.  That would create a group under the current guidelines (you
know, Y-100 > N and Y > 2N).  Seems good enough to establish that there's
no major opposition to running simultaneous multiple votes.

 > Perhaps chuq would be more advised to take a weeks traffic and
 > tell us (title lines only) how he would have distributed them differently,
 > and then each of us can judge whether we would have not wanted to read
 > the subsection these fell into.

That's what the multiple votes are for.  I'm not going to vote a blanket
yes.  I don't think c.s.m.games belongs (I think the rec.games hierarchy
needs a restructuring, actually :-), so I vote against that.  I think
c.s.m.system belongs, so I vote for that.  Simple, no?

 > This looks to me a way to fracture comp.sys.mac into littler peices with
 > only one beneficiary, chuq.

Hardly.  I'll benefit.  When c.s.m.hardware was split off, I benefitted,
because I'm not buying much in the way of hardware right now (so I can
ignore it until I'm looking for hardware).  With the "new" c.s.m hierarchy
I can easily decide what groups to read now and what groups to defer.
Right now I have a huge kill-file for c.s.m which makes it barely readable.
--
  Christopher Davis, BU SMG '90  <ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu> <...!bu.edu!bu-pub!ckd>
   "Basic upshot - get your science straight, or start getting used to the

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/11/90)

I think there are quite enough mac newsgroups already.  I don't think
anyone will benefit by further fragmentation of the newsgroup.  I
vote NO.

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

werner@milano.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (03/11/90)

	hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) wrote:

> Are we to believe that 180 responses to chuq is really a quorum.

	175 to 5 seems to me a pretty good measuring stick of how
	opinions tend to be distributed  on the matter.

> Perhaps chuq would be more advised to take a weeks traffic and
> tell us (title lines only) how he would have distributed them differently,
> and then each of us can judge whether we would have not wanted to read
> the subsection these fell into.

	nobody would bother to read and evaluate such an article discussing
	500+ Subject headers ...  there is no indication that there is a
	problem with agreeing on 5 or so topic-areas into which the current
	traffic can be split.  Your article has more the sound of a party-
	pooper than of an objection that is well-founded. (sorry, but that's
	the way you came across when I read your article).

	why don't you do the work and "proof" that there is no such distri-
	bution to be found?  and see if anyone cares to read your article of
	certainly 500+ lines ?

> This looks to me a way to fracture comp.sys.mac into littler peices with
> only one beneficiary, chuq.

	don't make nebulous personal attacks if you expect anyone to take
	you serious.

> Should chuq wish to take this as a vote, consider is NO,
> on any and all changes.

	even if he wanted to, he cannot (and should not) take posted articles
	as votes.  And currently there is no vote-counting going on of the
	kind that would fit YOUR vote, anyway ...

	Even though I have my disagreements with "details" in Chuq's proposal,
	I am responding to this article in defense of Chuq, because I believe
	that when a netter is attacked personally in this fashion, he should
	not have to respond himself, but "the public" should speak up and
	discourage "distractions" of the kind Howard posted....

				Cheers,		---Werner

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    		werner@cs.utexas.edu

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (03/11/90)

	I thought this discussion was supposed to be taking place only in
news.groups.  I want to read about macintoshes, not about reorgainizing
macintosh groups.  If other people want to haggle about the orgainization
of the mac groups, fine, but do it in news.groups where I don't have to see
it and let me know how it all works out in the end.

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (03/13/90)

According to chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach):
>And, as I have mentioned on multiple occasions, when the formal call for
>vote comes out on Monday, people will have a chance to either vote 'no' on
>the parts of the proposal they don't like, or vote 'no' on every one of the
>ballot proposals if they feel strongly about it.

This is quite true.

I'm not satisfied about the valididity of the points system Chuq plans
to use in the mac vote.  However, I have had proven to my satisfaction
that the net.voters have approved of the scheme.  Also, the vote will
actually be many simultaneous votes.

I therefore retract my objection to the mac.reorganization.

(You were all just waiting for the announcement, I know.  :-))