[news.groups] Call for discussion: comp.sys.ibm.rs6000

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (03/16/90)

In article <5661@brazos.Rice.edu> carlton@rice.edu writes:
>This is a call for discussion of the possibility of creating the
>newgroup comp.sys.ibm.rs6000.

There is a discussion underway at various places to quelch use of
this abreviation since there is some other vendor who is already
using such a notation [ I suspect the reference may be to Radio
Shack who has a "Model 6000" ].

Waiting for a better "nickname" to come along is probably a good
idea.  The nickname most bashed about by the media has been "RIOS",
but I personally favor just leaving it alone - pc.rt should slack
off over time as the POWER Series machines pick up steam.

>A recent (rough) count of the following newsgroups showed that
>Of the 195 articles in comp.arch, 51 were about the RS/6000.  In
>comp.unix.aix it was 10 out of 36 and in comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt 3 of
>39.

I think this is more due to the close proximity of the announcement
more than anything else.  I've been looking for stuff about the
new machines, but really haven't noticed any great abundance of
information concerning the POWER Series machines or AIX 3.1.  I'd
love to talk about them, but I can't.

>I believe a new group is needed because none of the above groups
>really fit.  Much of the material in comp.arch about the 6000 was
>not about its architecture.  There is a lot to talk about the
>6000 other than AIX 3.0[sic]  And the 6000 is not an RT, so the
>discussion does not belong there.

It really can't hurt to wait a few extra weeks.  Wait until the
machines are being distributed to more than just ESP customers and
then there should be enough widespread interest to warrant a
newsgroup.

They really are wonderful machines, I have every confidence there
will be interest.  When the time is right.  But for the moment
what are you going to discuss?  Which collection of rumors is
true or false seems like the only really good discussion topic.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org