[news.groups] Call for discussion: comp.windows.openlook

In article <1990Apr4.015351.25597@dasys1.uucp> mls@dasys1.uucp (Michael Siemon) writes:

>I'd like to request discussion towards creating a new group to be called
>comp.windows.openlook, intended for programming and product discussions
>of stuff built on the Open Look(*) X11 toolkit.  The idea is to keep such
*Which* Open Look X11 toolkit?  XView or Xt+?
The current move seems to be towards:
	comp.windows.x.motif
	comp.windows.x.xview
presumably if there is demand you could do
	comp.windows.x.xt+

>My understanding is that comp.windows.x (a.k.a. xpert) is not easily
>splittable, being in its primary incarnation not a USENET group at all,
It is splitable in that a second mailing list can be created people
can be redirected to use that for appropriate discussions.  If comp.windows.x.motif
is created I'll redirect it to/from the motif@alphalpha.com mailing list.
Presumbably someone can do the same for xview/xt+

>but a mailing list maintained by the X Consortium people at MIT.  It
>seems to me to make sense to keep discussions of the specific toolkits
>(as opposed to more generic software like the intrinsics, or XView)
>out of xpert.  Hence, if discussion seems favorable, I will run a vote
Yes, but.  XView isn't "more generic software".  Did you mean to imply
that it belonged in or out of the xpert mailing list?

| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 |   Home: 617/641-3805   |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. |                        |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |   BBS:  617/641-3722   |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. |   300/1200/2400 baud   |

niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) (04/09/90)

In <1990Apr5.130434.11677@dasys1.uucp> Michael Siemon writes:
> ... My
> own preference is for a single openlook group, independent of the X11
> groups.

	Well, why not create a root group for Graphical User Interfaces (GUI)
named comp.gui and make off-springs for every often-discussed GUI, like
comp.gui.openlook, comp.gui.pm, comp.gui.mac etc.?  This newsgroup structure
would encapsulate "look and feel" discussions.  In the root group would general
GUI discussions reside, like "What feels best, multi-clicking on one mouse
button vs. single-clicking on multiple mouse buttons?".

					Niklas

jdm@gssc.UUCP (John David Miller) (04/11/90)

Count my vote as a "yay" for an OPEN LOOK newsgroup.  I will probably be a
regular contributor, as my book on OPEN LOOK Toolkit programming is due out
the first part of May:

		           tm      tm
	Title: An OPEN LOOK at UNIX: A Developer's Guide to X
	Author: John David Miller
	Publisher: M&T Publishing (publishers of  Dr. Dobb's Journal)

	Topic: Comprehensive programming tour of the AT&T OPEN LOOK X Toolkit,
		including nearly 13,000 lines of C code.

		Ch 1 : Overview of the OPEN LOOK GUI as it affects app style
		Ch 2 : Concise summary of X from the app-developer's view
		Ch 3 : Intro to Object-Oriented Programming
		Ch 4 : App-developer's guide to the Xt Intrinsics
		Ch 5 : The OPEN LOOK widget and gadget set, demo'ing every one
		Ch 6 : Turning programs into real apps: ICCCM, Xrm, OL GUI
		Ap A : The Xtutil Utility Library: the things Xt forgot

I worked on this book for over a year, and during that time watched OPEN LOOK
evolve from a spec with a weak implementation to an extremely powerful and
usable user- and programmer-interface.  The folks at AT&T are to be commended
on their outstanding work.  Certainly, UI design is highly-subjective, but
for my $.02, I prefer many OPEN LOOK UI policies to those of the NeXT machine
I am using to type this.

If you do buy the book, please feel free to contact me with any questions and
comments.

-- jdm
--
John David Miller                      jdm@gss.com
Graphic Software Systems               uunet!gssc!jdm