[news.groups] comp.mail.msdos

michael@fts1.uucp (Michael Richardson) (06/22/90)

In a recent article posted to comp.mail.mush, dalew@twiki.PDX.COM (Dale A. Weber) wrote:
>trier@shasta.scl.cwru.edu (Stephen Trier) writes:
>>      I wish you luck with the Waffle link to smail/PC!  I'll be quite
>> interested if you manage to pull it off.
>
>  Actually, I don't think I'm going to do that now since the new version
>of Waffle due out is supposed to have much of that functionality (or at
>least as much as I need at present). I have no doubt that I could pull it
>off, I'm just not as interested in doing it as I was at one time.
>
>>      I agree.  I ported smail2.5 because it was, to paraphrase the README
>> file, "small and simple".  It was a tight fit in a PC with Mush running,
>> and I'm working on cutting the memory usage some more.  (Deliver 2.0,
>> anyone?  :-) )

  I wonder if there isn't a need for some other group dedicated to getting
UUCP and mail facilities on PCs [386s running Unix aren't PCs. PCs run *DOS]?
  There seems to be a bit of activity in comp.mail.mush about ports of
various pieces of Unix mail subsystems to MS-DOS, and there is always
the never ending "how do I get UUCP on my 4.77MHZ 2 drive XT?" in
comp.mail.misc and comp.mail.uucp

  I really don't know if there is sufficient interest or even the need to
create such a group, but I thought I'd toss the thought around a bit.
  Other ideas might include:
    comp.mail.prog
    comp.mail.uucp.prog
    some group under comp.os.msdos [is that it proposed and/or passed new
name for comp.sys.ibm.pc?]

  Perhaps the situation would be made much better by a monthly posting
to comp.mail.misc listing all the known UUCP packages around... No I'm not
volunteering.

  [ woops, forgot to remove the end of the quote. Edited post-uux. -root ]

--
   :!mcr!:            | < political commentary currently undergoing Senate >
   Michael Richardson | < committee review. Returning next house session.  >