[news.groups] news.all hierarchy reorganization

jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) (06/26/90)

I have seen quite a few postings discussing the future of the news.all
hierarchy.  I'd like to add a few comments to the frey.

I see a renewed interest in splitting news transports and news readers
into their own sub-hierarchies.  I suggested the same thing in the
discussion period that ultimately led up to the news.software.misc
vote.  The comments I received seemed to indicate that further
classification would serve only those poor souls inflicted with the
Dewey-Decimal Syndrome.  Has net.opinion changed?

Another comment is that the proposed news.software.c would be confused
by novices thinking that the group was about software written in the C
language.  Will it?  I find it hard to predict what will or will not
happen, especially if the net is concerned.

	--jtc

oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) (06/28/90)

In article <628@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca>, jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) writes:
> Another comment is that the proposed news.software.c would be confused
> by novices thinking that the group was about software written in the C
> language.

Should it be called news.software.cnews?  There would
certainly be no ambiguity then, no?

--
Orlan Cannon                            oc@vmp.com
Video Marketing & Publications, Inc.    (800) 627-4551