[news.groups] call for votes: news.software.c

kjones@talos.pm.com (Kyle Jones) (06/27/90)

This is the first call for votes for a new unmoderated newsgroup,
news.software.c, which will host discussion of the "C news" news
transport system.  Bug reports, patches (official and unofficial), and
general Q&A will all be welcome in this new group.

Send votes to kjones@talos.pm.com.  If that address fails, use
kyle@cs.odu.edu as an alternate.  State clearly whether you are in
favor of or against the creation of the new group.  The voting period
ends 12am, Sunday, 22 July 1990.

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (06/27/90)

Are Henry and Geoff still opposed to the creation of a group to discuss
their news software?
	- Brian

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (06/28/90)

In article <1990Jun27.131235.28472@talos.pm.com> kjones@talos.pm.com (Kyle Jones) writes:

> This is the first call for votes for a new unmoderated newsgroup,
> news.software.c, which will host discussion of the "C news" news
> transport system.

It is not.  No call for discussion nor call for votes was ever posted
to news.announce.newgroups.  If you are going to follow the guidelines
at all, then follow them.  Otherwise, don't waste everybody's time
with a vote.  Just create the damn group.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

kjones@talos.pm.com (Kyle Jones) (06/28/90)

Kyle Jones writes:
 > This is the first call for votes for a new unmoderated newsgroup,
 > news.software.c [...]

Eliot Lear responds:
 > It is not.  No call for discussion nor call for votes was ever posted
 > to news.announce.newgroups.  If you are going to follow the guidelines
 > at all, then follow them.  Otherwise, don't waste everybody's time
 > with a vote.  Just create the damn group.

On June 12 the call for discussion for news.software.c was sent
to news-announce-newgroups@uunet.uu.net, and was posted
separately to the newsgroups news.admin, news.software.b, and
news.groups at that time.  After the article failed to appear in
news.announce.newgroups for several days, I resent the article to
the moderator on June 18.  On June 19, the call for discussion
appeared in news.announce.newgroups here.

This reconstruction of events is not just from memory; I have
dated copies of all the messages in question.

So, Eliot, are you saying that the following article was a
forgery?  If any admins out there have a sufficiently long expire
time for news.announce.newgroups, please verify the existence of
the attached article <9006121457.AA15196-x@talos.pm.com> on your
system.  Failing that, check for the message-ID in your history
file.

kyle jones   <kjones@talos.pm.com>   ...!uunet!talos!kjones
-------------
Article 482 of news.announce.newgroups:
From: kjones@talos.pm.com (Kyle Jones)
Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups
Subject: call for discussion: news.software.c
Date: 18 Jun 90 07:11:40 GMT
Sender: lear@turbo.bio.net

This is a proposal for a new unmoderated newsgroup, news.software.c,
which will host discussion of the "C news" news transport system.  Bug
reports, patches (official and unofficial), and general Q&A will all
be welcome in this new group.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/29/90)

I voted no, and I encourage others to do so also.
	The name is misleading -- "Oh great, this is where I can ask the
	    Usenet news groups about my C program"
	The existing traffic is low.
	Many of the problems are compatibility issues
	Both systems benefit from cross-fertilization

Others people have also made these points.
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.