[news.groups] call for discussion: comp.text.sgml, standard general markup language

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (07/07/90)

(a copy of this posting has been forwarded to news.announce.newgroups)

this is a call for discussion for the newsgroup 'comp.text.sgml', to discuss
the ISO 'Standard General Markup Language' and systems which use it.

SGML promises to be an important player in the market for electronic
texts, either the kind where you browse through the OED, maintain a
reference document which is presented in both paper and electronic
forms, or write a thesis.  Several commercial products use SGML
internally to store the form of the document (though most are not
capable of dealing with an arbitrary set of SGML tags).

the immediate prompting for this was a message that I received asking
if I was going to the SGML-TeX conference in the Netherlands, and
realizing that there was not a recognizable spot on the net that I
could forward the question to in the hopes of finding someone who was.
the newsgroup idea has come up before; the hope is that there's enough
interest to make it go.

the group is expected to have an international audience; the initial
query yielded positive replies from Norway, Sweden, the U.K., the
Netherlands, Canada, Ireland, and (oh by the way) the U.S.A.  It looks
like the initial trolling for interest picked up a mix of gurus,
users, academics, and commercial interests, so I'm pretty sure things
will work once they get started.

so to the details.

the name:

	comp.text.sgml.  seems reasonable.

the discussion:

	one initial task to get everyone who is on the net that is
	doing software development to know and recognize each other,
	and to take stock of what resources are available.  This
	discovery phase should yield tangible products like references
	to bibliographies, software available or under development
	etc.

	another goal is to bring together people who have texts that
	they have marked up, or are in the process of marking up, and
	to discover and share appropriate strategies for same.  this
	is my interest; I have a large mass of textual data and some
	powerful text searching software, but I need a sensible markup
	strategy to retrieve appropriate pieces of this thing.

why not just post to comp.text?
there's so little discussion, why a group?
why not just a mailing list?

	indeed, why not take over comp.text?  It has been tried.  The
	number of SGML experts on the net (compared to users) is
	small, and they don't have time to time to wade through troff,
	psfig, Word Perfect etc.  The last 30 or so articles of
	comp.text, I see one or perhaps two which are relevant to
	comp.text.sgml.

	so where are people going with questions?  well to me.  or to
	one or more other scattered lists, including INFO-NETS,
	GOVDOC-L, comp.editors, soc.college, maybe a few others that I
	don't read or haven't found.  No single group has the quantity
	of expertise or the focus of readership.

	mailing lists are evil and rude, esp. those that cross
	international boundaries; given that I expect fully 2/3 of the
	discussion to originate in Europe, a newsgroup is the only
	sane way to propagate the discussion around.

The vote:

	Not yet, to play by the books there must be a period of
	discussion preceding the vote, and it must be announced in
	news.announce.newgroups.  The entire procedure top to bottom
	takes more than a month.

followups to comp.text (put SGML in the Subject:), or news.groups for
procedural matters.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
comp.archives moderator

koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) (07/09/90)

I would very much like to see more discussion of SGML and available SGML
software.  If a comp.text.sgml news group would help promote this, then
it would be a good thing.  I wonder, however, if the problem isn't really
a lack of hot software packages that use SGML.

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (07/10/90)

Hi, Ed!  Finally the call for discussion!

My interest in SGML has not waned, but it has been difficult to find
people to discuss it with.  I have written a few small SGML-like
parsers that take care of a lot of previously troublesome things, such
as using the information in an invoice to print payment forms, writing
articles for both paper and several kinds of electronic media, etc.
Another topic is storing information from existing documents to make
them easier to search, and make way for hypermedia applications.

I hope there are people out there with whom I can discuss some of the
language theory underlying SGML, as well.

So I'm all for comp.text.sgml.  Discussions up to now have been rather
scattered.
--
[Erik Naggum]

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (07/10/90)

In article <EMV.90Jul7000337@urania.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

   this is a call for discussion for the newsgroup 'comp.text.sgml', to discuss
   the ISO 'Standard General Markup Language' and systems which use it.
I found Ed's summary of `why comp.text.sgml' clear and convincing. It
is clear to me that discussion of troff and Word and LaTeX *is*
substantially different from discussion of SGML, so lets have the
group as he suggests it

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

adrian@mti.mti.com (Adrian McCarthy) (07/10/90)

In article <4165@alpha.cam.nist.gov> koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) writes:
>I would very much like to see more discussion of SGML and available SGML
>software.  If a comp.text.sgml news group would help promote this, then
>it would be a good thing.  I wonder, however, if the problem isn't really
>a lack of hot software packages that use SGML.

I too would like to see such discussions, but I think that this newsgroup
(comp.text) is an appropriate place for now.  If the SGML traffic becomes
heavy, then we should consider a separate group.  Now that the TeX discussions
have moved on to comp.text.tex, the traffic in this group is really just
a trickle.  I'd like to see a need before we create yet another group.

Aid.  (adrian@gonzo.mti.com)

robin@txsil.lonestar.org (Robin Cover) (07/12/90)

Ed Vielmetti has presented thoughtful and cogent reasons for
establishing a distinctive Newsgroup dedicated to SGML.  The name
"comp.text.sgml" seems defensible to me if we understand the designation
to mean ISO 8879 and the related suite of standards which pertain to
SGML-conforming documents (DSSSL, SPDL, SDIF).  Discussions on
ODA/ODIF/ODL and even EDI would be encouraged so long as the relevance
to "structured documents" were clear, and so long as the forum did not
degenerate into an SGML-ODA battleground.  A name like
"comp.text.struct" seems equally defensible if we mean all topics
related to structured documents (e.g., other standards for
descriptive/declarative markup, structured-document editors, retrieval
on structured documents).  The strength of commitment to SGML in
government, industry and education is sufficient to warrant a separate
SGML discussion: if anyone wants a dedicated ODA forum, one is already
available (from Carnegie-Mellon).

I have a strong preference for the name "comp.text.sgml," however, in
light of one troublesome reality: I think that a majority of the "major
players" in SGML is not tuned to this News channel.  An SGML discussion
makes more sense on BITNET/Internet, in some respects.  But since nobody
has organized one, Ed cannot be criticized for trying on UUCP News.  If
some SGML experts from among the "major players" are to be attracted to
the group, the distinctive name "sgml" and focused attention on SGML is
a clear desideratum.  It will be hard enough to get support from SGML
gurus anyway -- they will have neither time nor patience to muck through
dozens of postings on unrelated topics.  (By "major players," I refer
primarily to companies/persons with expert understanding of the relevant
standards, or representatives of companies with commercial SGML parsers,
authoring systems, etc.)

For a healthy SGML discussion, I feel it is imperative to have a couple
SGML experts listening in.  Those who have actually read the standard,
or write DTD's, or build parsers will know what I mean.  There is still
a lot of confusion about what SGML actually *IS* (and is not), and it's
easy for an unmoderated forum to generate unfortunate "mis-information."
I would even suggest that several companies or SGML-supporting agencies
be contacted (e.g., Software Exoterica; SoftQuad; Datalogics) to see if
they would designate persons to help referee the discussion -- at least
at moments when mis-information goes unchecked or when technical
questions cannot be answered by the forum's regular readers.  I intend
no offense in these comments (I recall superb contributions by Tim Bray
[UWaterloo/Open Text Systems] and David Slocombe [SoftQuad], for
instance).  But I have seen the mixed results on another electronic
forum where it was clear that many contributors did not understand what
SGML is (people who think it's a formatting language, or a tagset,
etc.).  Commissioning a "SGML -- Frequently Asked Questions" document
would be a valuable goal in its own right.

With these minor reservations -- I say we support Ed's proposal for a
dedicated SGML discussion.  If the traffic is light to start with, all
the better: the distinctive goals Ed Vielmetti outlined can be realized,
and that would be a nice beginning.  As interest builds, additional SGML
gurus and users may be persuaded to fire up News.  If the forum needs to
move to Internet or BITNET eventually, that's fine too.

Robin Cover
Member, Text Encoding Initiative (Text Representation)
BITNET: zrcc1001@smuvm1
UUCP: texbell!txsil!robin
Internet: robin@txsil.lonestar.org | robin@utafll.lonestar.org

drlewi1@PacBell.COM (D. R. (Dave) Lewis) (07/21/90)

I agree that increased discussion and exchange of resources related to
SGML and text mark-up is needed.  I also agree that comp.text.sgml will
help recognition and participation of those with expertise without
excluding discussion of alternative markup.  I therefore support the
creation of comp.text.sgml.  I agree with a previous follow-up that
'document' markup should be discussed and thus comp.doc.markup or
comp.doc.sgml makes some sense also.  At some later point a move to
multi-media doc markup discussion should occur.  Still, I support
creation of comp.text.sgml as a near term move.

Dave Lewis
Pacific Bell
drlewi1@PacBell.COM
415-551-3427