[news.groups] why is fax alt?

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (07/19/90)

>Please consider cross-posting all fax postings to alt.fax as
>a matter of course.]

isn't computerfax a real enough technology to warrant a comp.fax newsgroup?

someone take a vote!
--
/eli
eli@spdcc.com

brian@haddock.ima.isc.com (Brian Holt) (07/19/90)

In article <3411@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>>Please consider cross-posting all fax postings to alt.fax as
>>a matter of course.]
>
>isn't computerfax a real enough technology to warrant a comp.fax newsgroup?
>
>someone take a vote!
>--
>/eli
>eli@spdcc.com

Hmm, actually, it probably should be comp.dcom.fax

--
brian@ima.isc.com
US 617-661-7474 x206

In article <17120@haddock.ima.isc.com> brian@haddock.ima.isc.com (Brian Holt) writes:
>In article <3411@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>>>Please consider cross-posting all fax postings to alt.fax as
>>>a matter of course.]
>>
>>isn't computerfax a real enough technology to warrant a comp.fax newsgroup?
>>
>>someone take a vote!
>
>Hmm, actually, it probably should be comp.dcom.fax

Actually, it should probably be ignored as yet another environmentally
destructive fad yuppie nuisance toy in hopes it will go away soon.

Kent, the man from xanth.
Oh, well, but thanks for correcting me. -- Jeff Martens

In article <3411@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:

| isn't computerfax a real enough technology to warrant a comp.fax newsgroup?

  No.

| someone take a vote!

  That's why it doesn't rate a group. The people who want one are too
lazy to go through the CFD and CFV procedure. They're too lazy to write
letters, too.

  Yes I'm kidding a little, but my font doesn't have a quarter smiley

                ;-)
                ---
                 4

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (07/20/90)

 xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>>>isn't computerfax a real enough technology to warrant a comp.fax newsgroup?
>
>Actually, it should probably be ignored as yet another environmentally
>destructive fad yuppie nuisance toy in hopes it will go away soon.

hey now!  computerfax ain't environmentally destructive, unless you
think phone calls destroy the environment.  with computerfax, nothing has
to be printed unless you like the way it previews on your workstation.
and voila -- a thermal-paper tree is saved.

--
/eli
eli@spdcc.com

 davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>
>| isn't computerfax a real enough technology to warrant a comp.fax newsgroup?
>
>  That's why it doesn't rate a group. The people who want one are too
>lazy to go through the CFD and CFV procedure. They're too lazy to write
>letters, too.

oh yeah, Bill, that must be it.  it's the fault of "those people"!
you forgot to mention that "those people" don't feel like reading
the control-freak ranting in news.groups.

>  Yes I'm kidding a little, but my font doesn't have a quarter smiley

neither does mine, twit.

1/8 :)

--
/eli
eli@spdcc.com

In article <3424@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:

| >  That's why it doesn't rate a group. The people who want one are too
| >lazy to go through the CFD and CFV procedure. They're too lazy to write
| >letters, too.
|
| oh yeah, Bill, that must be it.  it's the fault of "those people"!
| you forgot to mention that "those people" don't feel like reading
| the control-freak ranting in news.groups.

  If telling you to stop wasting bandwidth asking *someone else* to get
to work on group creation makes me a control freak so be it. If you're
not too lazy to do something a lot harder than posting flames, then read
the guidelines and follow them. It will take about 40 hours of your
time, and you will have to stay motivated for at least two months.

  You will also get a lot of flack from many people, and if you are so
thin-skinned that you can't take something as polite as my last posting,
then you are in for a serious set of bruises to your ego.

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (07/21/90)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
[about creation of a fax group in the comp.* hierarchy]
!
!  If telling you to stop wasting bandwidth asking *someone else* to get
!to work on group creation makes me a control freak so be it.

so it be.  not only are you freaking about news.groups, now you're
freaking about  w a s t i n g  n e t . b a n d w i d t h.

!If you're
!not too lazy to do something a lot harder than posting flames, then read
!the guidelines and follow them.

sing "control freak" to the tune of the mickey mouse theme song, Bill.

if there's sufficient discussion and interesting an a comp.dcom.fax
group, or some such, and IF i have access to an internet or usenet
machine which is reliable enough to be a vote-taker, then i'll be
quite happy to be the vote taker.  for now, i'll try to generate
more discussion with a "call for discussion", ok, buddy???

!It will take about 40 hours of your
!time, and you will have to stay motivated for at least two months.

yes, boss man sir.  whatever you say.  you must be the boss, alright.

!  You will also get a lot of flack from many people, and if you are so
!thin-skinned that you can't take something as polite as my last posting,
!then you are in for a serious set of bruises to your ego.

the same goes for you, honey bunny!

thick skinned and thick headed,

/eli

--
/eli
eli@spdcc.com

In article <3423@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:

>>Actually, it should probably be ignored as yet another environmentally
>>destructive fad yuppie nuisance toy in hopes it will go away soon.
>
>hey now!  computerfax ain't environmentally destructive, unless you
>think phone calls destroy the environment.  with computerfax, nothing has
>to be printed unless you like the way it previews on your workstation.
>and voila -- a thermal-paper tree is saved.

Sure, but why go to all that trouble to raise the cost of email from $0.0025
(batched transmission) to $2.50 (long distance call)?

Fax is what you do when you're too lazy to hack the politics of making email
work right.

Kent, the man from xanth.

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.221621.2509@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>In article <3423@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>>hey now!  computerfax ain't environmentally destructive, unless you
>>think phone calls destroy the environment.  with computerfax, nothing has
>>to be printed unless you like the way it previews on your workstation.
>>and voila -- a thermal-paper tree is saved.

>Sure, but why go to all that trouble to raise the cost of email from $0.0025
>(batched transmission) to $2.50 (long distance call)?

I'd get a new LD carrier.  AT&T's rates are no more than .25/minute
peak to USA, .15/minute off peak to USA, .65/minute off peak to Europe.
You can move at least 1 page at those rates, or 2-3 pages for twice that.
It gets there (anywhere), reliably.  But, there's no 'r'(reply) key,
which is FAX-as-EMAIL's biggest drawback.

Since I'm not likely to send two items to the same place at the same
time, the EMAIL phone call would cost the same as FAX.  It wins big
if I've got lots of pages to send, and loses big if I've got a
newspaper clipping to send.

>Fax is what you do when you're too lazy to hack the politics of making email
>work right.

Within any particular company, it is possible to get it to work right.
Including moving more than just text.  As soon as you go outside that
realm, you have no control.

IMHO & experience, the entire system we have using UUCP & the
Internet as transport, domain addresses, and all the currently
used mailers need to be tossed out.  The addresses are unparseable
by humans.  The headers get mangled in twisty little passages,
all different (so much for the 'r' key).  The transport is
flaky at best, downright unreliable at worst.  To continue to
hack on this system will insure the stagnation of EMAIL.

Its not just the politics that make EMAIL faulty.  Its the
technology, too.  EMAIL needs to step back to square one,
and suffer through childhood again, in order to emerge as
a fully functioning adult.

To be fair, G3 FAX has many warts that are being addressed
by standards hacking.  I don't put much stock in this
approach, either.  The installed base of ~12 million in
USA isn't going to change anytime soon.

I think both systems will be saddled with the past for a
long time to come (probably until death).

I think the next major advance won't happen until ISDN
connectivity starts to snowball.  You buy a hypothetical
I-MAIL box, that comes in standalone, SCSI, and Ethernet
flavors.  Does everything that FAX and EMAIL do today,
plus everything we thought they could do.  And with any
luck, the standards for the box won't be cast in concrete
until the last possible moment before the explosion. Oh
yeah, it can't cost any more than the tip the US mailperson
expects at year end (currently $1000). :-)

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson | Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??? Ask About: |Mention
PC Research,Inc.| FaxiX - UNIX Facsimile System (tm)                   |FAX# for

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (07/25/90)

 xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>i wrote about computerfax:

>>and voila -- a thermal-paper tree is saved.
>
>Sure, but why go to all that trouble to raise the cost of email from $0.0025
>(batched transmission) to $2.50 (long distance call)?

that's a real intense cost analysis you've got there, KPD.

>Fax is what you do when you're too lazy to hack the politics of making email
>work right.

what cogency!  what an astute analysis!  what a  M A R O O N !

p.s.  what are the "politics of making email work right" ???

are we talking about "email political correctness"??  guffaw.

--
/eli
eli@spdcc.com