[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: REC.PETS, REC.BIRDS division.

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (08/08/90)

	This article is the beginning of a discussion of:

	1)	What groups should be spawned from rec.pets;

	2)	What rec.birds should be renamed to since there
		will most likely be a rec.pets.birds.

	Michael

--

	"And I'm hovering like a fly,
	waiting for the windshield on a freeway."  -Genesis (Peter Gabriel)

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (08/09/90)

In article <1918@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike
Mahler) writes:

>         This article is the beginning of a discussion of:
>
>         1)      What groups should be spawned from rec.pets;
>
>         2)      What rec.birds should be renamed to since there
>                 will most likely be a rec.pets.birds.

I think that rec.pets should at least have a subgroup called
rec.pets.dogs.  It may also make sense to have rec.pets.cats and
rec.pets.misc.

Scott Winders
internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (08/09/90)

Mahler) writes:

>         This article is the beginning of a discussion of:
>
>         1)      What groups should be spawned from rec.pets;
>
>         2)      What rec.birds should be renamed to since there
>                 will most likely be a rec.pets.birds.

Why not rec.birds.wild?  I don't think the sci.ornithology heading
suggested earlier would be a good one, since I don't think we want to
discourage amateur birders.

Rob Lewis

wolfd@microsoft.UUCP (Wolf DUBY) (08/09/90)

Indeed, let's split up rec.pets.  But certainly Cat, Dog, and Bird
categories will not be sufficient to cover the range of interests.
We'll need a separate group for those, plus one for Hamsters, another
for Guinea Pigs, one for each type of Snake; and let's not forget
Horses.  Sure, we have rec.equestrian already, but we should
ceratinly have a separate group for people who keep Horses and
don't ride them.
   For that matter, it seems a good idea to have separate groups for
people who own small, medium, and large Dogs, and further divide
these for people who show Dogs and those who don't.  The ideal
would be to have two newsgroups for each breed--but let's be realistic :-)

For any newsgroup to cover a broad range of topics is unthinkable!
Folks might be informed about some aspect of their interest of which
they were unaware or--worse--they might wear out the N (or whatever)
key on their keyboards from having to bypass shamelessly uninteresting
articles.

Yes, by all means--more newsgroups.

Just imagine all the opportunities for cross-posting!

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (08/10/90)

>   In article <1918@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike
>   Mahler) writes:
>   >
>   >         This article is the beginning of a discussion of:
>   >
>   >         1)      What groups should be spawned from rec.pets;
>   >
>   >         2)      What rec.birds should be renamed to since there
>   >                 will most likely be a rec.pets.birds.
>   >

How about rec.birding?
--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (08/10/90)

	You've got alot of nerve backing up your comments with real data!

	8-}

	I've decided to go through with this as two seperate votes:

		1) for the creation of:

			rec.pets.dogs
			rec.pets.cats, and leaving rec.pets for as a .misc

		2) for the renaming of rec.birds as rec.birdwatching
		   and the joint creation of rec.pets.birds  (in other
  		   words, if rec.birds isn't renamed, there will be no
		   rec.pets.birds).

	Michael

plemmons@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) (08/10/90)

In article <56425@microsoft.UUCP> wolfd@microsoft.UUCP (Wolf DUBY) writes:
>Indeed, let's split up rec.pets.  But certainly Cat, Dog, and Bird
>categories will not be sufficient to cover the range of interests.
>We'll need a separate group for those, plus one for Hamsters, another
>for Guinea Pigs, one for each type of Snake; and let's not forget
>Horses.  Sure, we have rec.equestrian already, but we should
>ceratinly have a separate group for people who keep Horses and
>don't ride them.
>   For that matter, it seems a good idea to have separate groups for
>people who own small, medium, and large Dogs, and further divide
>these for people who show Dogs and those who don't.  The ideal
>would be to have two newsgroups for each breed--but let's be realistic :-)
>
>For any newsgroup to cover a broad range of topics is unthinkable!
>Folks might be informed about some aspect of their interest of which
>they were unaware or--worse--they might wear out the N (or whatever)
>key on their keyboards from having to bypass shamelessly uninteresting
>articles.
>
>Yes, by all means--more newsgroups.
>
>Just imagine all the opportunities for cross-posting!

Yes! Yes! Yes!  I think he's got it!  I know my 'n' and 'k' keys are
wearing out very fast due to the unbearable amount of traffic on this
net.  I think I'm getting arthritis in my index and middle finger of my
right hand!

Steve Plemmons                      plemmons@mth.msu.edu
Math Department                     plemmons@frith.egr.msu.edu
Michigan State University           21144smp@msu.bitnet

bryanh@dadla.WR.TEK.COM (Bryan Hilterbrand) (08/11/90)

In article <1965@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) writes:

>		2) for the renaming of rec.birds as rec.birdwatching
>		   and the joint creation of rec.pets.birds  (in other
>  		   words, if rec.birds isn't renamed, there will be no
>		   rec.pets.birds).
>
>	Michael

If people can't get along together so a new newsgroup must be created,
why don't we just leave rec.birds and make a new newsgroup called
rec.birdwatching.

One of the last million-or-so times :-( that this subject has come up,
it was pointed out that people breeding birds aren't keeping "pet" birds.
Because they aren't keeping pets, people would still occasionally post
"captive" bird subjects to rec.birds.  The non-birdwatching people seem
to be fairly tolerant of the different types of postings, so they could
stay in rec.birds.

Now, to be fair to the birdwatching people, rec.birds was originally
created specifically for people interested in birdwatching, so I can
sympathize with them about the invasion of THEIR newsgroup.  Unfortu-
nately, the newsgroup suffers from a poor choice for a name, so the
birdwatching people will NEVER be free from this discussion until a
group called rec.birdwatching is created.

The two choices I see are:

	1) The birdwatching people become tolerant of the invasion
	   of non-birdwatching postings in their newsgroup.

	2) A new newsgroup is created that is specifically and
	   undeniably aimed at birdwatching -- rec.birdwatching.

I apologize for wasting everyone's time with this posting, since I know
that nothing is likely to change when this "discussion" is finished.

Does anyone remember old Cheech and Chong records?:  "Class. CLAAASSS.
SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!" <pause> "Thank you."

Bryan Hilterbrand

INTERNET: bryanh@dwalin.WR.TEK.COM
CSNET:	  @RELAY.CS.NET:bryanh@dwalin.WR.TEK.COM
UUCP:	  {uunet,decvax,gatech,hplabs}!tektronix!wrgate!dwalin!bryanh

misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) (08/11/90)

In article <GRP.90Aug9151425@magpie.unify.uucp> grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) writes:

   >   >         This article is the beginning of a discussion of:
   >   >
   >   >         1)      What groups should be spawned from rec.pets;
   >   >
   >   >         2)      What rec.birds should be renamed to since there
   >   >                 will most likely be a rec.pets.birds.
   >   >

>   How about rec.birding?

Yes, much better than birdwatching. Apart from being shorter, it conveys
the meaning that we are pursuing an intrest, not just watching the
winged creatures. Birding is a hobby, birdwatching is just a general term
for looking at a bird.

Let's not change the groupname to include all wildlife. Why not create
a wildlife group anyway, but not by dropping rec.birds.

Annika Forsten, Finland

jklee@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Kin Wah Lee) (08/13/90)

In article <GRP.90Aug9151425@magpie.unify.uucp> grp@unify.com writes:

>How about rec.birding?

This would certainly get my vote.  I would even settle for
rec.birdwatching even though this would be my second choice.
Although I have nothing against the INDOOR postings in
rec.birds (heck, my sister has a budgie!), my main interest
lies in birding.

In another article, wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) writes:

> The `sci.ornithology' suggestion was mine. `rec.birds.wild' is just fine by
> me, however I am rather surprised that you think `sci.ornithology' would
> scare off amateur birders.  It wouldn't frighten me, for instance :-)
>       ... [stuff deleted] ...
> I am much more inclined to the opinion that if you call it `rec.<anything>'
> you will scare off the professionals, who won't want to bother with it.

I can see Bill's point here and there is always going to be some
overlap here, but I would hazard to guess (sorry, I have no hard
facts!), that the majority of subscribers to something like rec.birding
are amateurs anyway.  I know that if I were a professional
ornithologist, I would not hesitate to subscribe to "rec.birding", since
amateurs can often be a great source of information; this is analagous
to the numerous amateurs in astronomy, stargazing, etc., who have made some
very significant contributions to that science.

In another article, horvath@granite.cr.bull.com (John Horvath) writes:

> If this new group is created for birdwatching, lets not limit it to
> specifically birds? How about changing the name to include all the smaller
> groups that will never get a subgroup. I was thinking along the lines
> of rec.nature, rec.natural_history, rec.audubon, rec.wildlife or sci.wildlife.
>
> In such a newsgroup, the discussions would be about observing any creature(s)
> in their natural environment. Based on their popularity, I would think
> that this would predominately consist of birds, but this new group would
> extend to include invertibrates, reptiles, amphibians, and some mammals.
> There is currently no group that I know of that covers these other creatures.
> And there definitely isn't enough support to start rec.nature.insects etc.

I'm afraid that things would get too general here.  One of the main
reasons to split rec.birds was to narrow the subject field, and this
would open the field again, albeit in a different direction.  It seems
to me that if there were persons keenly interested in snakes, turtles,
salamanders, etc., they could start a new group called rec.herpetiles
or something like that.  Who knows?  The volume of traffic may become
so heavy that INDOOR postings from people who want to know what to
feed their pet python may begin to conflict with those who want to
know about the geographical distribution of the Massasauga Rattlesnake
:-).  And a few years down the road, they may be having the same
discussion we're having today!

In any case, I would certainly go for rec.birding.
Just my thoughts!

jim
Jim Lee (jklee@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dept. of Geol. & Geophys. Sci.           * THERE ARE STRANGE THINGS DONE *
Princeton University                     *   IN THE MIDNIGHT SUN .....   *
Princeton, NJ      08544                 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

sandee@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (08/13/90)

In article <1010.26c5a329@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>In article <1990Aug10.193512.6545@granite.cr.bull.com>, horvath@granite.cr.bull.com (John Horvath) writes:
>>
>> in the latter, I find the former not just uninteresting, but offensive.
>
>I dont mean to start a flame, but what is so offensive about pet birds?  I

If you don't want to start a flame, then don't make remarks like that. Or,
don't respond to the other guy's remarks.
This demonstrates EXACTLY why this group should be split. I can tolerate the
drivel about budgies being off their feed, but I don't want all the flame wars
between groups of opposing interest.

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/18/90)

Boris Chen (boris@tornado.Berkeley.EDU) writes:
+--
| Frankly, this group does not have a great amount of
| traffic, and I don't think that any split is necessary....
| It isn't that hard to hit 'n' or 'k.'
+--

I think that one's perception of the volume in a group
depends on the baud rate at which one reads it.  With a
38,400 baud hardwired connection, it doesn't take very long
to put an article on the screen.  But I often read rec.birds
at 1200 baud, and at that rate it takes a while just to get
to the point where you *can* type `n' or `k'.

I feel that another strong argument in favor of the split is
that it would eliminate the large volume of articles from
people arguing---like this one, and the one to which it is a