[news.groups] newsgroupname counterproposal

mjr@decuac.DEC.COM (Marcus J. Ranum) (09/02/90)

In article <Fc?g3e?1@cs.psu.edu>, schwartz@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:

> I miss the old newsgroup already.  Why not comp.unix.arcana, if not
> comp.unix.wizards?

	I have to admit, I was taken by surprise by the change. Admittedly,
I tend to 'n' my way through unix-wizards in a hurry, but I don't recall
seeing any discussion of the changes-to-be *here*. Was this all decided
in news.groups, and if so, it might have made some sense to post a notice
that the change was being considered. Of course, I might have overlooked
it, but I can't imagine such a world-shaking change being made without
everyone in unix-wizards inserting their $2e-2 as usual. :)

mjr.
--

Eagles may soar, free and proud, but weasles never get sucked into jet engines.

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/05/90)

According to mjr@decuac.DEC.COM (Marcus J. Ranum):
>I have to admit, I was taken by surprise by the change. Admittedly,
>I tend to 'n' my way through unix-wizards in a hurry, but I don't recall
>seeing any discussion of the changes-to-be *here*.

Sigh.

When I posted the call for discussion, I cross-posted to c.u.wizards,
and I used all caps: CALL FOR DISCUSSION.

When I posted the call for votes, I cross-posted to c.u.wizards, and I
again used all caps: CALL FOR VOTES.

When the vote results were in, I cross-posted to c.u.wizards, and I
yet again used all caps: VOTE RESULTS.

There's no excuse for not having seen these articles.

Furthermore, these articles were posted in news.announce.newgroups,
which newsgroup was created to address "I don't read news.groups"
complaints.  Anyone who doesn't read news.announce.newgroups had
better enjoy being surprised.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>