[news.groups] How about a "trial" group, was Re: c.u.wizards vs. c.u.internals

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (09/15/90)

>I hereby call for votes on re-instating comp.unix.wizards.

I would like to remind people about the "trial.*" news hierarchy.

Write up a proposal as to why you think comp.unix.wizards is needed;
send it to  "trialgroup@uunet.uu.net" and your proposal will
be passed along to a list of volunteer judges.  Assuming there are
no objections, the group "trial.comp.unix.wizards" will be
created by the judges.

If after 5 months the group is in the top 75% of Usenet groups,
measured in 'readers per site' as posted by the monthly Arbitron
reports, the group will be promoted to "comp.unix.wizards".  If the
group hits the top 50% at any point, it will be promoted right away.

No need for anyone to take votes or a discussion period or any of that.

The trial.* hierarchy is still sort of an experiment, but I wish
people would make more use of it.

..Steve
(disclaimer: I'm one of the volunteer judges)

--
Steve Hayman    Workstation Manager    Computer Science Department   Indiana U.
sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu                                    (812) 855-6984

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (09/15/90)

>I would like to remind people about the "trial.*" news hierarchy.
>
>Write up a proposal as to why you think comp.unix.wizards is needed;
>send it to  "trialgroup@uunet.uu.net" and your proposal will
>be passed along to a list of volunteer judges.  Assuming there are
>no objections, the group "trial.comp.unix.wizards" will be
>created by the judges.

No no, this is ridiculous, comp.unix.wizards practically pre-dates
USENET, now they have to go thru this trial stuff because someone
("the system") made a mistake and rmgroup'd them?

It was just a mistake, undo the mistake, let's not make another 10
mistakes trying to correct the situation.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (09/15/90)

In article <BZS.90Sep14161902@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

> No no, this is ridiculous, comp.unix.wizards practically pre-dates
> USENET, now they have to go thru this trial stuff because someone
> ("the system") made a mistake and rmgroup'd them?
>
> It was just a mistake, undo the mistake, let's not make another 10
> mistakes trying to correct the situation.

i am not so sure that "undoing the mistake" wouldnt also be a mistake.
i think comp.unix.wizards is gone for good.  there are too many
systems out there that already have removed and aliased it.  all it
takes is a fair percentage of sites who have done this to make things
a mess.  take a look at the mess that {rec,sci}.aquaria is in, and
will probably _always_ be in.  some sites have it aliased one way,
other sites have it aliased the other way.  once the aliases are in,
there is no addition work that the sysadmins need to do to mess things
up.  it is permanent.

the vote was held, i voted no, there werent enough people who also
voted no, so i lost.  it doesnt mean i like the outcome, but that's
the way it is.  therefore, i have removed comp.unix.wizards and
i have put in the alias.  it really isnt that big a thing.

if a vote was held to try and reinstate comp.unix.wizards, i would
vote against it.  if someone just sent out a newgroup for it, i would
ignore it.  trying to bring it back now would just be a big mess.

sorry.  the net is know longer as you knew it.  it's dead.

-wayne

Yes, I have to agree with Barry.  At least in its infancy, let's keep
the trial concept limited to creating new groups, not resolving problems
with existing ones.