[news.groups] What Dan really wants for comp.unix

In article <1990Oct03.021535.2030@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <10833:Oct221:07:0590@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> >Whatever the fate of unix-wizards, I'd like to see two new groups:
> >  comp.unix.futures  The future of UNIX and of its derivatives
> >  comp.unix.kernel   Current UNIX kernel discussions
> Aren't there enough comp.unix.* groups for now?  There are so many of
> them that it is probably real confusing about where to post a question.

You're absolutely right. There should never be a general group (except
perhaps .misc to handle spillover) when more specific groups are
available. The current comp.unix hierarchy disobeys this rule. That's
why it's so confusing.

I kept that other proposal to noncontroversial groups. Now here's what
I'd really like to see happen:

  newgroup comp.unix.futures
  newgroup comp.unix.kernel
  rmgroup comp.unix

  forget comp.unix.questions, more specific groups are now available
  alias comp.unix.questions to comp.unix.misc
  gateway info-unix to comp.unix.misc

  forget comp.unix.wizards, more specific groups are now available
  alias comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.programmer, not internals
  gateway unix-wizards to comp.unix.programmer

  rmgroup comp.unix.internals, the name sucks
  eventually rmgroup comp.unix.questions
  eventually rmgroup comp.unix.wizards

But inertia prevents such drastic changes from happening overnight. So
I'll wait, let the confusion settle a bit, and see what can be done step
by step.

Anyone who wants to bring back ``the old unix-wizards'' should realize
that the old unix-wizards has been dead for a few years. The group has
been a mishmash of discussions, mostly like comp.unix.programmer, some
like comp.unix.kernel/shell/futures. To revive the past you must start
from a clean slate.

> Let's leave well enough alone for at least a few months.

I was proposing to wait for Chip's latest vote to finish, which'll be
another couple of months at least.

---Dan

In article <21619:Oct321:09:0990@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

| You're absolutely right. There should never be a general group (except
| perhaps .misc to handle spillover) when more specific groups are
| available. The current comp.unix hierarchy disobeys this rule. That's
| why it's so confusing.

  If you think that's why it's confusing, you're confused. But I agree
that the group should go. The reorganization provided the misc group,
let's clean up the remnants.

        [ ... lots of stuff, most of which I don't accept ... ]

| Anyone who wants to bring back ``the old unix-wizards'' should realize
| that the old unix-wizards has been dead for a few years. The group has
| been a mishmash of discussions, mostly like comp.unix.programmer, some
| like comp.unix.kernel/shell/futures. To revive the past you must start
| from a clean slate.

  Thank you for saying it. wizards was going downhill since the last
renaming (remember net and mod, folks?) and with the renaming and
addition of a group particularly for kernel stuff, perhaps we could
discuss unix instead of news groups.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) (10/05/90)

In article <21619:Oct321:09:0990@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>You're absolutely right. There should never be a general group (except
>perhaps .misc to handle spillover) when more specific groups are
>available. The current comp.unix hierarchy disobeys this rule. That's
>why it's so confusing.

Agreed.

>I kept that other proposal to noncontroversial groups. Now here's what
>I'd really like to see happen:
>
>  newgroup comp.unix.futures
>  newgroup comp.unix.kernel
>  rmgroup comp.unix
>
>  forget comp.unix.questions, more specific groups are now available
>  alias comp.unix.questions to comp.unix.misc
>  gateway info-unix to comp.unix.misc

OK.

>  forget comp.unix.wizards, more specific groups are now available

NO!!!  This is just why .wizards should come back.

>  rmgroup comp.unix.internals, the name sucks

AGREED!!!

>  eventually rmgroup comp.unix.questions

Maybe.

>  eventually rmgroup comp.unix.wizards

NEVER!  (when you pry my cold dead hands from the terminal    B-)

>But inertia prevents such drastic changes from happening overnight. So
>I'll wait, let the confusion settle a bit, and see what can be done step
>by step.
>
>Anyone who wants to bring back ``the old unix-wizards'' should realize
>that the old unix-wizards has been dead for a few years. The group has
>been a mishmash of discussions, mostly like comp.unix.programmer, some
>like comp.unix.kernel/shell/futures. To revive the past you must start
>from a clean slate.

So let's make it "alive" with the discussions on traditions, foods, and
all the other arcana (NO, not comp.unix.arcana!  B-) that make UNIX
more than just "A Registered Trade Mark of [current AT&T mutation]",
now that there ARE newsgroups for the more "serious" stuff!

Why not?
--
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP
UNH Telecommunications        attmail!psawyer       p_sawyer@UNHH.BITNET