[news.groups] "vote" to re-create comp.unix.wizards

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/11/90)

In article <epeterso.655576167@houligan> epeterson@encore.com (Eric Peterson) writes:
>Huh?!?  What kind of guidelines are these?  If mean that *a* set of
>guidelines has been followed, well, yeah, that's true.  But if you
>mean that *the* Guidelines have been followed, which I'm sure you do
>since you are proposing a new group and since there are specific
>guidelines for that action, then you're wrong.

you will notice that in virtually all of the part of the guidelines
you quoted the word "should" was present.  not "must", but rather
"should", or "may", or "might".  these guidelines are meant to
serve as guidelines - a "guideline" is an overview or outline of
expected behavior.  these are not rules cast in stone.

also, comp.unix.wizards is not a "new" group - it is an "old"
group.  the guidelines don't even begin to address issues such
as re-creating a group which was freshly removed.

>| 1) A call for discussion on creation of a new newsgroup should be posted
                                                           ^^^^^^

see?  there's that evil "should" word.  this runs through and through
the entire collection of guidelines.

the guidelines are this way on purpose - so that the vote taker
can tailor the process to their own particular needs, the nature
of the group, and so on.  when i run votes i prefer to keep the
total number of votes =low=.  the best way to do that in the
past has been to limit the discussion to only the relevant groups,
and not to drag it through the process called "news.groups".  i
do this because i prefer to send out personal replies when i
think the person has a particularly interesting or worthwhile
opinion which i want to explore further.  ask chip if he responded
to 80+% of the voters in his call with more than a mass acknowlegement.

>You can't go changing the proposal from un- to moderated in the middle
>of the vote (you've already called for votes, remember?)!  It's gotta
>be the "SAME" proposal.  1 and 8.

my proposal is simply to follow the advice of a large number of
the opponents to the suggestion.  the purpose of this entire
process is to create a useful and productive group.  ignoring
people whose advice you consider to be unbiased or important is
not exactly a good use of the resources being given you.  since
i believe most of the "yes" voters would also support a moderated
group, and since i myself have already stated i support a moderated
group over an unmoderated one, i don't think dumping the vote on
the floor is a bad idea should a moderator step forward.

i wrote to one respondent that i would change my tune the second
a qualified moderator steps forward.  now how is it going to look
if the vote taker is against the very proposal they are taking
votes for?

>Face it -- the net voted to eliminate comp.unix.wizards.  Simple as
>that.  Too bad for you if you don't like it.

well, the problem is that a lot of people don't like it.  in fact,
of the votes i have received so far in which the voters express
a negative interest in the group, a large majority would vote
"yes" if the group were moderated.  in any ratio of "yes" to "no"
votes that means the vast majority of the net =wants= the group.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) (10/11/90)

In article <18585@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
   In article <epeterso.655576167@houligan> epeterson@encore.com (Eric Peterson) writes:
   >Huh?!?  What kind of guidelines are these?  If mean that *a* set of
   >guidelines has been followed, well, yeah, that's true.  But if you
   >mean that *the* Guidelines have been followed, which I'm sure you do
   >since you are proposing a new group and since there are specific
   >guidelines for that action, then you're wrong.

   you will notice that in virtually all of the part of the guidelines
   you quoted the word "should" was present.  not "must", but rather
   "should", or "may", or "might".  these guidelines are meant to
   serve as guidelines - a "guideline" is an overview or outline of
   expected behavior.  these are not rules cast in stone.

Well, if you carry this reasoning to its logical conclusion you don't
really *NEED* to hold a vote at all.  You could just newgroup c.u.w
and have done with it right?  So just go ahead and create it.

Oh!!  Wait!  We tried that one already didn't we???  Oops.

Trust me, if a newgroup comes out as a result of this vote that
ignores all of those optional guidlines it won't get much farther than
the last one did.

   also, comp.unix.wizards is not a "new" group - it is an "old"
   group.  the guidelines don't even begin to address issues such
   as re-creating a group which was freshly removed.

Funny, I don't see it in my active file.  Perhaps you missed the
rmgroup that came out a while back?  The one that resulted from a vote
that did follow all of those optional guidelines?

When that vote passed and the rmgroup issued c.u.w ceased to exist as
a group.  Perhaps that was a mistake.  Any effort to create c.u.w now
is the creation of a new group...admittedly with special
circumstances. But not enough special circumstances to justify
ignoring the guidelines that keep usenet from sliding from the goofy
to the totally ridiculous.

FWP

Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (10/11/90)

I can't say that I disagree with your reasoning for not posting to
news.groups, given that is the place where you are likely to find
resistance.

I won't argue with you one way or the other as to whether
comp.unix.wizards should exist, nor will I argue the value of the
guidelines.

You are correct when you claim that the guidelines use the word should
all over the place.  That is because they are GUIDELINES, not LAWS.
If you don't do something when you should do it, that is not following
the guidelines.  Period.

Face it, you shot from the hip.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

nreadwin@micrognosis.co.uk (Neil Readwin) (10/12/90)

Haugh II) writes:
|> [...] i prefer to send out personal replies when i
|> think the person has a particularly interesting or worthwhile
|> opinion which i want to explore further.  ask chip if he responded
|> to 80+% of the voters in his call with more than a mass acknowlegement.

and then ask the voters if they give a damn whether they get a hand crafted
reply or a form letter as an acknowledgement.

 Disclaimer: 818  Phone: +44 71 528 8282  E-mail: nreadwin@micrognosis.co.uk
 W Westfield: Abstractions of hammers aren't very good at hitting real nails

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (10/13/90)

I read this newsgroup to  TRY  to gain more knowledge in unix internals,
not to listen to all of this political BULL SH*T.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I am just tired of seeing supposed educated
presons act like TWO Year old babies.
--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.