[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.windows.ms.vdu

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (10/03/90)

In addition to the welcome proposal for splitting off '.programmer', I
think a case can be made for splitting off discussion of video drivers
and the like; about half the traffic in c.w.ms seems to be along the lines
of "How do you get xxx to work with yyy's 1920x497 pixel super-semi-VGA
driver?"  I'd prefer to have such discussions in a subgroup.

I'm not sure -.vdu is an ideal name.  Has anyone a better suggestion?
Alternative names might be c.w.ms.video, -.drivers or -.hardware.
I suspect the first two would get mistaken by some people for other
subjects however, such as displaying video on PC's , or a Windows version
of GRASP.  A 'hardware' subgroup would (usefully) pick up other issues of
special hardware such as different mice or what to do about zzz's enhanced
memory manager chip.  But I wonder whether people would assume it meant
pure hardware issues and did not include the software part of video (etc.)
drivers - which indeed the group should cover.

Comments?

Regards,          "None shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity"
        David Wright             STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk  <or> ...uunet!mcsun!ukc!stl!dww  <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW
<or> /g=David/s=Wright/org=STC Technology Ltd/prmd=STC plc/admd=Gold 400/co=GB

In article <3466@stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:
>In addition to the welcome proposal for splitting off '.programmer', I
>think a case can be made for splitting off discussion of video drivers
>and the like; about half the traffic in c.w.ms seems to be along the lines
>of "How do you get xxx to work with yyy's 1920x497 pixel super-semi-VGA
>driver?"  I'd prefer to have such discussions in a subgroup.
>
>I'm not sure -.vdu is an ideal name.  Has anyone a better suggestion?
>Alternative names might be c.w.ms.video, -.drivers or -.hardware.

".displays" might attract the traffic you want.

Kent, the man from xanth.

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (10/04/90)

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:

>of "How do you get xxx to work with yyy's 1920x497 pixel super-semi-VGA
>driver?"

Wow!  That sounds like a really cool card.

>I'm not sure -.vdu is an ideal name.  Has anyone a better suggestion?
>Alternative names might be c.w.ms.video, -.drivers or -.hardware.
>I suspect the first two would get mistaken by some people for other
>subjects however, such as displaying video on PC's , or a Windows version
>of GRASP.  A 'hardware' subgroup would (usefully) pick up other issues of
>special hardware such as different mice or what to do about zzz's enhanced
>memory manager chip.  But I wonder whether people would assume it meant
>pure hardware issues and did not include the software part of video (etc.)
>drivers - which indeed the group should cover.

Of the ones you mentioned, I guess I prefer video.  vdu implies a Video
Display Unit - which means monitor to me.  Most, but certainly not all,
articles along these lines are about software drivers for video cards.
Hardware means hardware - not video drivers.  Actually, most articles
are about SVGA drivers, so how about c.w.ms.svga?

I would think that questions about monitors, and cards (other than in
realtion to Win3 performance should belong in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.
As far as mistaking video for GRASP (whatever that is), I don't think it
would really present a problem.  Most readers are regular subscribers and
I really don't think it would confuse them.

I vote for either c.w.ms.video or c.w.ms.svga.  I prefer video.  We'd
have to change the name when SVGA becomes obsolete if we use svga.

Hopefully, we'll all be using 2560x2048 in a couple of years.  ;-)
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) (10/18/90)

I agree a separate news group for display problems is badly needed. ---.vdu
doesn't sound too bad.