[news.groups] Call for discussion, COMP.UNIX rereorganisation

After looking at other successful hierarchies, I've decided that there are
a large number of potential UNIX groups that are missing from the comp.unix
hierarchy...

	comp.unix.wizards	Of, by, and for UNIX wizards
	comp.unix.hackers	Of, by, and for UNIX hackers
	comp.unix.gurus		Of, by, and for UNIX gurus
	comp.unix.rumors	What OSF and UI will do next.
	comp.unix.reviews	Reviews of UNIX software packages
	comp.unix.vendors	Notes and complaints about UNIX vendors
	comp.unix.tech		Technical discussion about UNIX
	comp.unix.embedded	Embedded systems running UNIX
	comp.unix.funny		Humorous articles about UNIX
	comp.unix.clones	Minix, Coherent, etc...
	comp.unix.futures	UNIX in the stock market
	comp.binaries.unix	UNIX binaries, X backgrounds, etc.

By the way, :->
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (10/12/90)

In article <0EC6YHA@xds13.ferranti.com>,
peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) starts to write a Call for Discussion:
}After looking at other successful hierarchies, I've decided that there are
}a large number of potential UNIX groups that are missing from the comp.unix
}hierarchy...
}	comp.unix.wizards	Of, by, and for UNIX wizards
}	comp.unix.hackers	Of, by, and for UNIX hackers
}	comp.unix.gurus		Of, by, and for UNIX gurus
}	comp.unix.rumors	What OSF and UI will do next.
}	comp.unix.reviews	Reviews of UNIX software packages
}	comp.unix.vendors	Notes and complaints about UNIX vendors
}	comp.unix.tech		Technical discussion about UNIX
}	comp.unix.embedded	Embedded systems running UNIX
}	comp.unix.funny		Humorous articles about UNIX
}	comp.unix.clones	Minix, Coherent, etc...
}	comp.unix.futures	UNIX in the stock market
}	comp.binaries.unix	UNIX binaries, X backgrounds, etc.

...and then wimps out:
}By the way, :->

Why did you give up?? I'd vote for every last one of these!!

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

blm@aquarium.ecn.purdue.edu (Brian L Moore) (10/12/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>After looking at other successful hierarchies, I've decided that there are
>a large number of potential UNIX groups that are missing from the comp.unix
>hierarchy...

I vote for:
>	comp.unix.wizards	Of, by, and for UNIX wizards
>	comp.unix.hackers	Of, by, and for UNIX hackers
>	comp.unix.gurus		Of, by, and for UNIX gurus
>	comp.unix.reviews	Reviews of UNIX software packages
>	comp.unix.vendors	Notes and complaints about UNIX vendors
>	comp.unix.tech		Technical discussion about UNIX
>	comp.unix.funny		Humorous articles about UNIX
>	comp.binaries.unix	UNIX binaries, X backgrounds, etc.

I have not comment on:
>	comp.unix.rumors	What OSF and UI will do next.
>	comp.unix.embedded	Embedded systems running UNIX
>	comp.unix.clones	Minix, Coherent, etc...
>	comp.unix.futures	UNIX in the stock market

-blm
--
Brian L Moore, Student Programmer              |
Purdue University Engineering Computer Network |  internet: blm@ecn.purdue.edu

price@chakra.unl.edu (Chad Price) (10/12/90)

In <0EC6YHA@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>After looking at other successful hierarchies, I've decided that there are
>a large number of potential UNIX groups that are missing from the comp.unix
>hierarchy...

>	comp.unix.wizards	Of, by, and for UNIX wizards
>	comp.unix.hackers	Of, by, and for UNIX hackers
>	comp.unix.gurus		Of, by, and for UNIX gurus
>	comp.unix.rumors	What OSF and UI will do next.
>	comp.unix.reviews	Reviews of UNIX software packages
>	comp.unix.vendors	Notes and complaints about UNIX vendors
>	comp.unix.tech		Technical discussion about UNIX
>	comp.unix.embedded	Embedded systems running UNIX
>	comp.unix.funny		Humorous articles about UNIX
>	comp.unix.clones	Minix, Coherent, etc...
>	comp.unix.futures	UNIX in the stock market
>	comp.binaries.unix	UNIX binaries, X backgrounds, etc.
Sounds good, however, I'd combine wizards & gurus

Chad Price
price@fergvax.unl.edu

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (10/12/90)

In article <0EC6YHA@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>After looking at other successful hierarchies, I've decided that there are
>a large number of potential UNIX groups that are missing from the comp.unix
>hierarchy...
>
>	comp.unix.wizards	Of, by, and for UNIX wizards
>	comp.unix.hackers	Of, by, and for UNIX hackers
>	comp.unix.gurus		Of, by, and for UNIX gurus
>	comp.unix.rumors	What OSF and UI will do next.
>	comp.unix.reviews	Reviews of UNIX software packages
>	comp.unix.vendors	Notes and complaints about UNIX vendors
>	comp.unix.tech		Technical discussion about UNIX
>	comp.unix.embedded	Embedded systems running UNIX
>	comp.unix.funny		Humorous articles about UNIX
>	comp.unix.clones	Minix, Coherent, etc...
>	comp.unix.futures	UNIX in the stock market
>	comp.binaries.unix	UNIX binaries, X backgrounds, etc.
>
>By the way, :->

You forgot:-
	comp.unix.discussion	For discussions about comp.unix reorganisations

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan

laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) (10/12/90)

It does occur to me that a comp.unix.wizards with a moderated tag would not
be totally unworkable - however, my conception of it would not be a 'pure'
single-moderated scheme and might meet with disapproval from those who think
that only named moderators should put up the "Approved:" header.

One thing that would have to be done is to add a line to the Frequently
Asked Questions, namely "How do I become a wizard?" with the answer of
"Read RFC822 and RFC1033." (I think I have my numbers straight).

comp.unix.wizqrds would then be subject to posting from any wizard around,
and postings lacking the "magic incantation" would route to the mailing-list
where they would appear - for all intents and purposes they would not appear
on Usenet (unless Eric Fair should decide to automatically approve them
in software somehow.

Note that I do not really like this idea, but I propose it as a possibly-
workable method meeting the goals of many of the participants discussing
this.  It is too much of a hack and bends the rules too much for my taste.
--
My .signature is on vacation ------------- like me!

In article <1990Oct12.071321.3676@ibmpcug.co.uk> dylan@ibmpcug.CO.UK (Matthew Farwell) writes:
> You forgot:-
> 	comp.unix.discussion	For discussions about comp.unix reorganisations

I also forgot:
	comp.unix.skeptic	For DOS/VMS weenies
	comp.unix.erotica	Used to be comp.unix.wizards
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

gwh@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/13/90)

In article <EHD6H38@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1990Oct12.071321.3676@ibmpcug.co.uk> dylan@ibmpcug.CO.UK (Matthew Farwell) writes:
>> 	comp.unix.discussion	For discussions about comp.unix reorganisations
>	comp.unix.skeptic	For DOS/VMS weenies
>	comp.unix.erotica	Used to be comp.unix.wizards

	comp.unix.flame		Where this whole discussion belongs 8-)

  == George William Herbert ==   **There are only two truly infinite things,**
 == JOAT for Hire: Anything, ==  *   the universe and stupidity.  And I am   *
=======Anywhere, My Price======= *  unsure about the universe.  -A.Einstein  *
 ==   gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu   ==  *********************************************
  ==     ucbvax!ocf!gwh     == The OCF Gang:  Making Tomorrow's Mistakes Today

sja@sirius.hut.fi (Sakari Jalovaara) (10/13/90)

gwh@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU sez:
>In article <EHD6H38@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>In article <1990Oct12.071321.3676@ibmpcug.co.uk> dylan@ibmpcug.CO.UK (Matthew Farwell) writes:
>>> 	comp.unix.discussion	For discussions about comp.unix reorganisations
>>	comp.unix.skeptic	For DOS/VMS weenies
>>	comp.unix.erotica	Used to be comp.unix.wizards
>	comp.unix.flame		Where this whole discussion belongs 8-)

	comp.unix.aquaria	Fish
									++sja

rh@smds.UUCP (Richard Harter) (10/15/90)

Peter da Silva adds to his list:

> 	comp.unix.skeptic	For DOS/VMS weenies
> 	comp.unix.erotica	Used to be comp.unix.wizards

And dont forget

	comp.unix.extraterrestrial	Discussions of plan-9
--
Richard Harter, Software Maintenance and Development Systems, Inc.
Net address: jjmhome!smds!rh Phone: 508-369-7398

ns@iddth.id.dk (Nicky Sandru (langt haar)) (10/16/90)

sja@sirius.hut.fi (Sakari Jalovaara) writes:

>gwh@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU sez:

[ other stuff ]

What about comp.unix.reorganisation???

--

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.102027.21074@iddth.id.dk> ns@iddth.id.dk (Nicky Sandru (langt haar)) writes:
>What about comp.unix.reorganisation???

it would have to be comp.unix.reorganization since the united states
is the center of the usenet universe.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) (10/23/90)

In article <18599@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>In article <1990Oct16.102027.21074@iddth.id.dk> ns@iddth.id.dk (Nicky Sandru (langt haar)) writes:
>>What about comp.unix.reorganisation???
>
>it would have to be comp.unix.reorganization since the united states
>is the center of the usenet universe.

Doesn't REorganization imply the pre-existance of some sort of ORGANIZATION?
(  B-)

--
Paul S. Sawyer              paul@unhtel.uucp      {uunet,attmail}!unhtel!paul
UNH CIS - - Telecommunications and Network Services    p_sawyer1@unhh.unh.edu