[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.sys.3b1

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (11/19/90)

I for one concur with nearly everything Mr. Isley said in his posting.
I think he left out one other reason for creating comp.sys.3b1:

In article <1990Nov19.040128.29048@bagend.uucp> jan@bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) writes:

>I think the Purpose line pretty well sums up my idea of a charter for
>this group.  Now that I have thrown the ball out, I guess that I am
>supposed to start off with some rational reasons why we need comp.sys.3b1.
>
>Well, why not.  There are lots of people out in the world who have 3b1s.

One other reason for creating comp.sys.3b1 is that now we are having lots
of erroneous posts to unix-pc.* by people who are running *nix clones
on their 80xx6 PC-clone machines, thinking that unix-pc means "unix on
an IBM-PC (clone) machine.  comp.sys.3b1 seems an unlikely name to confuse
with anything else (except maybe for a place to post requests to send mail
to guiness book of world records candidates.)

					Jeff

oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) (11/20/90)

In article <72909@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:
>I for one concur with nearly everything Mr. Isley said in his posting.
>I think he left out one other reason for creating comp.sys.3b1:
>
>One other reason for creating comp.sys.3b1 is that now we are having lots
>of erroneous posts to unix-pc.* by people who are running *nix clones
>on their 80xx6 PC-clone machines, thinking that unix-pc means "unix on
>an IBM-PC (clone) machine.

Not to mention that "unix-pc" is listed as an "alternative" distribution,
which means that news administrators are likely to associate it more with
"alt.sex.pictures" than with a normally distributed discussion group about
a particular hardware platform.

--
Orlan Cannon                            oc@vmp.com
Video Marketing & Publications, Inc.    (800) 627-4551

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (11/20/90)

Hey, guys, aren't we supposed to be crossposting to news.groups?  I xposted
my two cents' worth.  Someone knowledgeable straighten us out on this.

					Jeff

tale@rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.025651.11472@vmp.com> oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) writes:

   Not to mention that "unix-pc" is listed as an "alternative" distribution,
   which means that news administrators are likely to associate it more with
   "alt.sex.pictures" than with a normally distributed discussion group about
   a particular hardware platform.

I'm sorry, but anyone who is doing that is pretty lame.  While I am
sure some admins insist on primarily carrying the hierarchies which
were formed from the Great Renaming, associating unix-pc with
alt.sex.pictures rather than comp.sys.* is just patently absurd.

In two weeks worth of news here, just under half of the articles in
unix-pc are crossposted to mainstream groups and this seems typical
for it.   87 non-crossposted articles in two weeks in the whole
hierarchy.  If this group is created, what will become of unix-pc?
Should it continue to plod along or could we disband it?
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

dave@das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) (11/21/90)

In article <11644@alice.att.com>, wilber@alice.att.com (Bob Wilber) writes:
> I don't see much point in creating comp.sys.3b1 unless it *replaces*
> unix-pc.*.

I agree.  Perhaps we should consider RENAMING unix-pc.general to comp.sys.3b1,
unix-pc.sources to comp.sources.3b1 and dropping unix-pc.bugs and unix-pc.test.
We could also use the aliasing ability of news to keep thing clean.

DAS
--
David Snyder @ Snide Inc. - Folcroft, PA

UUCP:  ..!uunet!trac2000!das13!dave     INTERNET:  dave@das13.snide.com

dave@das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) (11/21/90)

In article <1085@galaxia.Newport.RI.US>, dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:
->                               I think we should create two newsgroups.
-> First, comp.sys.3b1 (unmoderated) for discussions of all aspects of the
-> 3b1/7300 machine.  This would include the contents of the current unix-pc.*
-> groups with the exception of unix-pc.sources.  Second, comp.sources.3b1
-> (moderated) for postings of source programs specific to the 3b1 and for
-> patches to those programs.
->
A totally sound suggenstion, lets do it!

DAS