[news.groups] Status of voting to rename comp.unix.internals

laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) (11/15/90)

I will summarize here the voting choices as there has been some confusion.

The voting period began on October 25, and continues to November 25.

Choices on the Subject:  line of the mail message are:

comp.unix.esoterica, or esoterica
comp.unix.wizards,   or wizards
comp.unix.internals
comp.unix.esoterica only, or esoterica only
comp.unix.wizards only,   or wizards only

The last two choices are included so that a person may indicate his
desire to vote for the change to one name and against the change to
the other.  I framed the procedure this way specifically so that we
would not vote to remove comp.unix.internals without specifying its
replacement, and if there was not an overwhelming consensus for the
new name, the vote would fail.

I also asked for "UNIX-WIZARDS:  separate" or "UNIX-WIZARDS:  no change"
to appear in the body of the mail message as a precatory referendum to
indicate if the current gateway to the mailing list should continue.  A
few people have responded to this request; the reaction is mixed.

I will not include a mass attribution here, as I have sent acknowledgements
via mail to each voter.  This is to be sure that their vote is properly
tallied and will have its desired effect.  I did this for a few reasons:
the Call(s) for Votes were garbled and apparently never reached everywhere
even being sent at least three times; people have responded with one form
in the Subject: line and then in the body indicated another intent; and I
have received a great number of votes which did not conform to the Call
after John Haugh mailed out a message asking everyone who had responded to
him earlier to send me a vote.

Thus, if you have voted and do not receive an acknowledgement, your vote
was never received.  I will try my best to get the few bounced acknowlegments
home to their proper recipients.

--
Laird J. Heal                           The Usenet is dead!
Home:  laird@slum.mv.com (Salem, NH)    Long Live the Usenet!

dan@kfw.COM (Dan Mick) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov15.160404.10588@chinet.chi.il.us> laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) writes:
>I will summarize here the voting choices as there has been some confusion.
>
>The voting period began on October 25, and continues to November 25.

  [ etc ]

I sent a vote, through uunet, to the listed address, and it got to the
machine and then bounced with 'no such user' from that machine.

I don't think you want input.

withrow@vino.enet.dec.com (Robert Withrow) (11/18/90)

I sent in my ballot right after this call for votes was issued
and I never received an acknowlegement.

I also sent a reply to this ``status of voting posting'' to you telling you
about
this and asking if you had my vote.  To date I have had no reply.

Considering the history of this issue I am hesitant to just start sending
in additional ballots until one is acknowleged (least I be accused of
ballot box stuffing!), but I want to be certain that my vote is counted!

Could you please look into this and straighten this out?

Also, if others who read this group have experienced the same
problem, would they please *post* this so that the group at large
can discover if this is a widespread phenomina.

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov15.160404.10588@chinet.chi.il.us> laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) writes:
#Thus, if you have voted and do not receive an acknowledgement, your vote
#was never received.  I will try my best to get the few bounced acknowlegments
#home to their proper recipients.

I too have had no acknowledgement - probably because my mail is still trying
to reach you.  I have received the following bounce - it appears that slug
is very elusive!

          for mimsy!gargoyle.uchicago.edu!chinet!gargoyle!clout!stl.stc.co.uk!D.W.Wright (from samsung!ruucp (Mr. UUCP))
 [looks like partial looping - dww]

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 90 00:00:07 -0500
From: MAILER-DAEMON@samsung.uucp
Subject: Waiting Mail
To: D.W.Wright@stl.stc.co.uk
Sender: samsung!ruucp <@mcsun.eu.net:samsung!ruucp@mcsun.uucp>

I am sorry, but your message to the following people is being held up at samsung:
	votes@slum (UUCP address)
I have been trying to deliver this message for the past 4 days
(107 hours).  Unfortunately I have been not able to contact slum. .....

[I actually mailed to votes@slum.mv.com as requested - the things mailer
routers do with addresses ... !]

I'd better vote again I suppose - please just count it once - if you get
either!   By the way, I was and am voting FOR comp.unix.wizards

Regards,    David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...uunet!mcsun!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW
Living in a country without a written constitution means having to trust in
the Good Will of the Government and the Generosity of Civil Servants.