[news.groups] Removal of unix-pc groups

scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Scott Hazen Mueller) (12/04/90)

I am in the process of pulling together a consensus on the removal of the
unix-pc.* groups.  This action will of course depend on the outcome of the
vote for creation of comp.*.3b1.  If you are a feed site for unix-pc.*,
please contact me for inclusion on the mailing list.  My criteria for a
feed site is that you pay for one of more long-distance links out of your
own or immediate corporate pocket, or that you feed unix-pc to multiple sites
either locally or via NNTP.

This list will coordinate the removal of the unix-pc.* hierarchy.  We will
also discuss the changeover of current unix-pc.* network links to carry the
new comp.*.3b1 groups.

--
Scott Hazen Mueller | scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG or (ames|pyramid|vsi1)!zorch!scott
10122 Amador Oak Ct.| +1 408 253 6767   |Mail fusion-request@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.050336.1654@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
|I am in the process of pulling together a consensus on the removal of the
|unix-pc.* groups.  This action will of course depend on the outcome of the
|vote for creation of comp.*.3b1.  If you are a feed site for unix-pc.*,
|please contact me for inclusion on the mailing list.  My criteria for a
|feed site is that you pay for one of more long-distance links out of your
|own or immediate corporate pocket, or that you feed unix-pc to multiple sites
|either locally or via NNTP.
|
|This list will coordinate the removal of the unix-pc.* hierarchy.  We will
|also discuss the changeover of current unix-pc.* network links to carry the
|new comp.*.3b1 groups.

	I most adamantly protest this notion - whatever
	the outcome of the vote, I will keep feeding
	unix-pc, and crossposting everything. I recommend
	this to everyone on general principles.

	I feed unix-pc to a number of sites and will
	continue to do so...

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (12/08/90)

According to bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker):
> I most adamantly protest this notion - whatever
> the outcome of the vote, I will keep feeding
> unix-pc, and crossposting everything. I recommend
> this to everyone on general principles.

Before anyone takes Mr. Becker seriously, remember that he also
"adamantly protested" the rmgroup of alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork.

For some reason, the phrase "Consider the source" comes to mind.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
"What's that thing, when people die, they take apart the body to see why?"

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (12/08/90)

In article <58455@becker.UUCP>, bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
> In article <1990Dec4.050336.1654@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
> |I am in the process of pulling together a consensus on the removal of the
> |unix-pc.* groups.  This action will of course depend on the outcome of the
> |vote for creation of comp.*.3b1.
> |
> |This list will coordinate the removal of the unix-pc.* hierarchy.  We will
> |also discuss the changeover of current unix-pc.* network links to carry the
> |new comp.*.3b1 groups.
>
> 	I most adamantly protest this notion - whatever
> 	the outcome of the vote, I will keep feeding
> 	unix-pc, and crossposting everything. I recommend
> 	this to everyone on general principles.
>
> 	I feed unix-pc to a number of sites and will
> 	continue to do so...

Well, if the name change occurs, most of us plan on
just changing our "sys" file, I'll just be changing
the name of the groups I'll forward, and maybe eventually
turn some more of them to ihave/sendme.

I'm hoping that my local feeds become reliable to the point
that I can reduce the number of alternate feeds I use.
If the reorg fails, I'm going to ADD some links, and
see if I can help connect remote branches.

Nobody's planning on not sending the articles, but
we are planning on nukeing the old names.

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
          { uunet | rutgers | att }!westmark!hico2!kak
                         {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                         internet: kak@hico2.westmark.com

mccarty@aaet.csc.ti.com (Rick McCarty) (12/09/90)

In article <27601FD3.6C20@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker):
>> I most adamantly protest this notion - whatever
>> the outcome of the vote, I will keep feeding
>> unix-pc, and crossposting everything. I recommend
>> this to everyone on general principles.
>
>Before anyone takes Mr. Becker seriously, remember that he also
>"adamantly protested" the rmgroup of alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork.
>
>For some reason, the phrase "Consider the source" comes to mind.
>--

[Mr. Becker, please do not take the following as a flame - this is intended to
be constructive in nature - i.e. I'm not sitting here spewing steam or
anything.]

[I post this because I think Mr. Becker is not the only one who needs to hear
this.  Just whoooooo could that/they be, you ask? ;-)]

I guess I do take Mr. Becker seriously in one sense.  His approach makes
things go less smoothly than they could.

Bruce's attitude is representative of the inherent problem in causing groups
to actually go away despite rmgroup'ing.  I wish we had a purely technical
solution to the problem, but we don't.  We must rely on cooperation.  It would
be better if Bruce would simply "get with theprogram" and be willing to abide
by the "wave of opinion", even if it is not consistent with the view he holds.

To Bruce/others sharing his view:

You must be willing to take the losses with the wins.  Argue your side the
best you can - but STAY WITH THE ARGUMENT.  Please don't inject such "If I
lose I won't play anymore" phrases into things.  It is detrimental to the
argument(s) on both sides, as it takes focus off the subject at hand and moves
the parties into "dig the heels in" mode.  We then run the risk of making
poorer decisions, because it becomes "us vs. them" instead of "is it the right
thing to do?".

As long as your inputs are percieved as constructive in intent, they are
valuable and deserve consideration.  Please do your best to make them so.
I'm sure you have (and will have) many ideas that are of value to us all.
It would be a shame to see them ignored.

Believe you me, I'm Mr. Argument if you ever ran into him.  I'll fight for my
position VERY strongly at times.  But when it's over, I know (I hope) how to
live with it and move on.  And I (try to) never take it personally (this is a
key lesson in life, I think!).

[Whoops!  For a second there, I was drifting back into Philosophy 101 mode.
Better quit before I drift too far! :-)]

Rick

Rick McCarty					  12501 Research Boulevard
Texas Instruments Incorporated                    P.O. Box 149149, MS 2227
Information Technology Group                      Austin, Texas  78714-9149
mccarty@aaet.csc.ti.com                           (512) 250-4108

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (12/12/90)

In article <27601FD3.6C20@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
|According to bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker):
|> I most adamantly protest this notion - whatever
|> the outcome of the vote, I will keep feeding
|> unix-pc, and crossposting everything. I recommend
|> this to everyone on general principles.
|
|Before anyone takes Mr. Becker seriously, remember that he also
|"adamantly protested" the rmgroup of alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork.

|For some reason, the phrase "Consider the source" comes to mind.

	...and if you actually did so, you'd
	discover that the motivations in the
	2 cases were entirely distinct.

	Please don't send me any more of yer
	scandalous email, Mr. Salzenberg...

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!bdb
 _< /_	 "Any closer and you'd be in the way" - ad for TV news program

craig@attcan.UUCP (Craig Campbell) (12/13/90)

In article <60082@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

>	Please don't send me any more of yer
>	scandalous email, Mr. Salzenberg...
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

         - Oh, come on Bruce!!! Now yer just TEASING the rest of the net!!!
           Any JUICY details??!?!?
	   (We LOVE anything scandalous!!)

>--
>  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
>a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
> `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!bdb
> _< /_	 "Any closer and you'd be in the way" - ad for TV news program

craig

"This opinion is a bargain at twice what YOU'RE paying for it!!!"

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (12/13/90)

According to craig@vpk3.ATT.COM (Craig Campbell):
>In article <60082@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
>
>>	Please don't send me any more of yer
>>	scandalous email, Mr. Salzenberg...
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>         - Oh, come on Bruce!!! Now yer just TEASING the rest of the net!!!
>           Any JUICY details??!?!?
>	   (We LOVE anything scandalous!!)

I'll never tell.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
"Please don't send me any more of yer scandalous email, Mr. Salzenberg..."
		-- Bruce Becker

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec9.021006.1336@axis.dsg.ti.com> mccarty@aaet.csc.ti.com (Rick McCarty) writes:
|In article <27601FD3.6C20@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
|>According to bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker):
|>> I most adamantly protest this notion - whatever
|>> the outcome of the vote, I will keep feeding
|>> unix-pc, and crossposting everything. I recommend
|>> this to everyone on general principles.
|>
|>Before anyone takes Mr. Becker seriously, remember that he also
|>"adamantly protested" the rmgroup of alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork.
|>
|>For some reason, the phrase "Consider the source" comes to mind.
|>--
|
|[Mr. Becker, please do not take the following as a flame - this is intended to
|be constructive in nature - i.e. I'm not sitting here spewing steam or
|anything.]
|
|[I post this because I think Mr. Becker is not the only one who needs to hear
|this.  Just whoooooo could that/they be, you ask? ;-)]
|
|I guess I do take Mr. Becker seriously in one sense.  His approach makes
|things go less smoothly than they could.
|
|Bruce's attitude is representative of the inherent problem in causing groups
|to actually go away despite rmgroup'ing.  I wish we had a purely technical
|solution to the problem, but we don't.  We must rely on cooperation.  It would
|be better if Bruce would simply "get with theprogram" and be willing to abide
|by the "wave of opinion", even if it is not consistent with the view he holds.
|
|To Bruce/others sharing his view:
|
|You must be willing to take the losses with the wins.  Argue your side the
|best you can - but STAY WITH THE ARGUMENT.  Please don't inject such "If I
|lose I won't play anymore" phrases into things.  It is detrimental to the
|argument(s) on both sides, as it takes focus off the subject at hand and moves
|the parties into "dig the heels in" mode.  We then run the risk of making
|poorer decisions, because it becomes "us vs. them" instead of "is it the right
|thing to do?".
|
|As long as your inputs are percieved as constructive in intent, they are
|valuable and deserve consideration.  Please do your best to make them so.
|I'm sure you have (and will have) many ideas that are of value to us all.
|It would be a shame to see them ignored.
|
|Believe you me, I'm Mr. Argument if you ever ran into him.  I'll fight for my
|position VERY strongly at times.  But when it's over, I know (I hope) how to
|live with it and move on.  And I (try to) never take it personally (this is a
|key lesson in life, I think!).

	Hmmmm.

	I *think* the above is drivel, but... hmmmm...

	I made the statement quoted above in order to
	focus on some real problems about this whole
	proposal. There have always been propagation
	problems with unix-pc, but no-one tried enough
	to do very much. I've pointed out the fact that
	much of the problem seems relatively easily fixed,
	but the herd is stampeding... It seems to me
	that when the dust clears that some serious
	disadvantages will show themselves, and that
	hindsight will quite possibly prove painful
	for some of the rip-snorters leading the fray
	currently. Or perhaps not, I may be merely
	over-cautious here.

	The problem seems to be that the unix-pc will
	gradually become obsolete even to many of its
	staunchest current supporters, even myself at
	some time. Already folks like Gil have caused
	a stir by announcing that he's selling off his
	machines. Although that Mike person certainly
	was obnxious in his attacks, I consider it
	important that so much stir was created - it
	appears to indicate possible wider problems
	in the unix-pc situation.

	I don't think going to hide in comp. will solve
	anything - rather it would merely provide a context
	for the stuff of the unix-pc hierarchy to be
	absorbed and dissipated. Or, again, perhaps it
	might prosper and someone could say how silly it
	was to have worried - that would be nice, but
	I'm also pretty sure that not nearly enough has
	been done with the current unix-pc groups to
	ensure their continuing success, so how confident
	can we be that this new endeavor will suddenly
	become somehow better?

	Before someone starts mumbling about negativity
	or something, I'd like to point out that the
	unix-pc phenomenon has been remarkable in some
	very important ways, perhaps uniquely. In being
	able to support at a very high and progressive
	level an obsoleted machine, a standard has been
	set which can be applied in many other contexts.
	This has such value that it ought to endure beyond
	the life of the system which it started with.
	Perhap the move to comp. has this possibility,
	but it needs to be made more explicit or its
	importance may be forgotten, which would be
	tragic...

--

mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) (12/15/90)

In article <60752@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

>	    ...  I'd like to point out that the
>	unix-pc phenomenon has been remarkable in some
>	very important ways, perhaps uniquely. In being
>	able to support at a very high and progressive
>	level an obsoleted machine, a standard has been
>	set which can be applied in many other contexts.
>	This has such value that it ought to endure beyond
>	the life of the system which it started with.
>	Perhap the move to comp. has this possibility,
>	but it needs to be made more explicit or its
>	importance may be forgotten, which would be
>	tragic...

Mr. Becker has done it again - written something I can agree with :-)

I think that part of what's bothering him, and a few others (myself
included), is the assumption that the creation of a new unix-pc group
in the comp hierarchy can automatically be linked to a removal of
the unix-pc.* groups. This network was not created via the mainstream
group creation procedure. It was built one link at a time, and it'll
probably have to come apart the same way. If and when the new group
is established is the time to start local (unix-pc only) discussions
about removal of the old groups. For myself, I suspect I will continue
to accept postings in the unix-pc hierarchy for a quite some time to
come. I think we need to make sure that the spirit gets transferred
to the new group, not just the traffic.

Oh, yeah - Don't forget to vote. I haven't yet, but I will.

--
Mark H. Weber ( mhw@Schuylkill.Canal.Org )           "Schuylkill" (skool' kill)
 Mont Clare   ( ...!uunet!cbmvax!cgh!lock60!mhw )      is a Dutch word meaning

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (12/16/90)

In article <60752@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

>	The problem seems to be that the unix-pc will
>	gradually become obsolete even to many of its
[...]
>	I don't think going to hide in comp. will solve
>	anything - rather it would merely provide a context
>	for the stuff of the unix-pc hierarchy to be

I thought the reason for the move to comp was to solve the problem with the
group distribution completeness (for sites that do get the group) and to
make people at sites that refuse to carry alternate groups have access to
the 'UNIXPC' discussion.  True enough these people might be able to get
the groups if they were willing to spend the bucks on long-distance phone
calls, but why not make it more convenient?

I don't think anybody thought they would 'save' the machine from obsolesence
by putting its newsgroup in comp.

>	or something, I'd like to point out that the
>	unix-pc phenomenon has been remarkable in some
>	very important ways, perhaps uniquely. In being
>	able to support at a very high and progressive
>	level an obsoleted machine, a standard has been
>	set which can be applied in many other contexts.
>	This has such value that it ought to endure beyond
>	the life of the system which it started with.
>	Perhap the move to comp. has this possibility,
>	but it needs to be made more explicit or its
>	importance may be forgotten, which would be
>	tragic...

I think what you are trying to say here (correct me please if I am wrong!!)
is that having our own hierarchy is making the group stronger.  This might
be true.  I think it has to be weighed against the added strength that comes
from having more people in the club.  Check out discussions on
comp.sys.nsc.32k if you want an example of a tight-knit, high-standards
group of people dedicated to a machine (at least this was the case 6 months
ago) in the comp hierarchy.

					Jeff

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (12/16/90)

In article <60752@becker.UUCP>, bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

> 	I made the statement quoted above in order to
> 	focus on some real problems about this whole
> 	proposal. There have always been propagation
> 	problems with unix-pc, but no-one tried enough
> 	to do very much. I've pointed out the fact that
> 	much of the problem seems relatively easily fixed,
> 	but the herd is stampeding...

	. . .
> 	I'm also pretty sure that not nearly enough has
> 	been done with the current unix-pc groups to
> 	ensure their continuing success, so how confident
> 	can we be that this new endeavor will suddenly
> 	become somehow better?
> --
>  Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
>  Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
>  UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!bdb

Well, some of my least-responded messages have been
suggestions for investigating these problems.  I don't
know whether it's lack of interest, or poor presentation,
or poor distribution, or what, but the last time I said I'd
like to check to see what and where articles were getting
dropped, I got ONE (one) response.

I'm currently thinking about bi-weekly ihave-sendme
connections with various sites to try to solve dropped
article problems, and have contacted several sites about
this.  However, most of these sites are well-connected
to sites that are already well-connected to me.
I'm worried that this will increase my phone bills
without solving anybody's problems.

To fix unix-pc distribution problems, we almost need
something like a "mini-backbone" subset, guarenteeing
that unix-pc articles reaching one of the machines WILL
reach the other machines, and not using att, uunet, or the
internet.  (providing a complete and fully redundant path)

I know that an awful lot of my unix-pc news goes through
att (I posted an article about this, but saw no followups
and got no replies) Well, the att gateway was suddenly "down",
this week, and the resulting flood after it was fixed filled
disks from some of MY feeds, so articles got dropped.  I only
carry a small number of newsgroups, and hold articles for a
long time, so the volume wasn't a problem for me.  But I hope
I built enough redundancy into my connections to handle losses
in the groups I do care about.

Anyhow, maybe the comp.sys...3b1 reorganization
will fix this.  I know I don't feel I've made
much progress working on it privately.
Meanwhile, if anybody has further comments
on this, I know I'd like to hear them.

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
          { uunet | rutgers | att }!westmark!hico2!kak
                         {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                         internet: kak@hico2.westmark.com

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (12/18/90)

In article <608@lock60.UUCP>, mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) writes:
 . . .
> I think that part of what's bothering him, and a few others (myself
> included), is the assumption that the creation of a new unix-pc group
> in the comp hierarchy can automatically be linked to a removal of
> the unix-pc.* groups. This network was not created via the mainstream
> group creation procedure. It was built one link at a time, and it'll
> probably have to come apart the same way. If and when the new group
> is established is the time to start local (unix-pc only) discussions
> about removal of the old groups. For myself, I suspect I will continue
> to accept postings in the unix-pc hierarchy for a quite some time to
> come. I think we need to make sure that the spirit gets transferred
> to the new group, not just the traffic.
>
> --
> Mark H. Weber ( mhw@Schuylkill.Canal.Org )           "Schuylkill" (skool' kill)

I think that unix-pc will be a problem when it becomes a "ghost" -
sites that don't upgrade their sys file automaticly, or regularly,
will list the group as still existing, people will post to it,
and wonder why there's so little followup.  I know I've posted to
groups that didn't make it out of my machine's local group,
(to groups that did make it in), and it was an extremely frustrating
experience before I figured out what was happening.

We have this in unix-pc now, in some places.  If we kill unix-pc,
we should all work real hard to keep it dead.
One labor-intensive, (but effective?) step we could do would
be to change unix-pc groups to be moderated, the moderator
puts appropriate messages into the new group, and send an email
message to each poster explaining the change.

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (12/19/90)

In article <552@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
|[...]
|To fix unix-pc distribution problems, we almost need
|something like a "mini-backbone" subset, guarenteeing
|that unix-pc articles reaching one of the machines WILL
|reach the other machines, and not using att, uunet, or the
|internet.  (providing a complete and fully redundant path)

	Recently I created a point-to-point news distribution
	system which uses email to send news batches and
	which injects them into news at destination.

	Because the mail system is the delivery agent,
	primary and secondary mailing lists can achieve
	effective long-distance propagation to bridge
	over usenet gaps.

	Any mailer system with a "pipe" function such
	as sendmail or the patched version of smail2.5
	will work fine at the receiving end.

	The news batches are encoded in a manner similar
	to, but more efficient than, uuencoded files.
	Optional simple password encryption is provided
	for those as needs it...

	If such a system proves handy I can make it
	available.  Currently it runs on several platforms
	besides the 3B1 (SysVr4, 4.3BSD), and I'll soon
	have it working on Amiga UUCP as well...

Cheers,
--

vote@bagend.uucp (vote taker) (12/20/90)

mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) writes:

>Mr. Becker has done it again - written something I can agree with :-)

>I think that part of what's bothering him, and a few others (myself
>included), is the assumption that the creation of a new unix-pc group
>in the comp hierarchy can automatically be linked to a removal of
>the unix-pc.* groups. This network was not created via the mainstream
>group creation procedure. It was built one link at a time, and it'll
>probably have to come apart the same way. If and when the new group
>is established is the time to start local (unix-pc only) discussions
>about removal of the old groups. For myself, I suspect I will continue
>to accept postings in the unix-pc hierarchy for a quite some time to
>come. I think we need to make sure that the spirit gets transferred
>to the new group, not just the traffic.

The proposal clearly stated that if the new groups were created, they
were to replace the existing unix-pc hierarchy over a 3 month period.
After said 3 months, A request for Spaff to remove them from his
alternate hierarchy postings.  This is what we are voting on.  I think
you will find that the system administrators out there that get the
news moved around usually follow the results of votes like this.  The
quickest way I can think of to get both the vote *and* distribution
of the unix-pc hierarchy dumped by these fine people is for alot more
people to jump on Mr. Becker's raging bandwagon.

>Oh, yeah - Don't forget to vote. I haven't yet, but I will.

Yes, do not forget to vote.
--
Jan Isley  jan@bagend  {known universe}!gatech!bagend!jan  (404)434-1335