[news.groups] remove comp.unix.xenix.misc?

dma@pcssc.com (Dave Armbrust) (12/14/90)

In article <27770@cs.yale.edu> yarvin-norman@cs.yale.edu (Norman Yarvin) writes:
>dma@pcssc.com (Dave Armbrust) writes:
>>BTW, I still consider myself new to news.groups even after six
>>months of reading this group!
>
>>Once the guidelines are exstablished for removal of groups I
>>will issue a call to remove comp.unix.xenix.misc unless I hear
>>from at least 25 people that want this group.
>
>Dave Armbrust indeed hasn't caught the drift of news.groups too well.
>Nobody is going to establish guidelines (other than perhaps simple
>mechanical ones) for removing newsgroups; they will just argue about it.

(Or complex, involved, computerized ones:-))

I hope you are wrong.  If we can agree (that may be the catch) I hope
we do get the mechanic into the guidelines.

>His posting illustrates one good reason why -- to avoid revenge politics,
>which would be orders of magnitude worse than newsgroup creation politics.

I am not interested in any 'revenge politics'.  I only posted the above
to see if there are any proponents left for the comp.unix.xenix.misc
group.  If there is a call to remove this groups it should not be
made by me.  Some people may think I am pro-SCO and accuse me of a
communistic plot to remove any group that does not have sco in it's name! :-)

BTW, I have yet to received any mail from people that want this group.

[ Note I did not cross post to comp.unix.xenix.misc and this may explain
  why I have not received any mail.  (I will cross post this article.) ]

If there is anyone out there that would like to keep this group I would
be interested in hearing from you.  dma@pcssc.com or just respond
to this postings.

The reason I said that I think comp.unix.xenix.misc should be removed
is that there is very little posting here and what there is seems
to be misdirected.  The charter for this group states:

   comp.unix.xenix.misc   General discussion regarding XENIX (except SCO)

Discussions regarding SCO Xenix should be directed to:

   comp.unix.xenix.sco    Xenix versions from the Santa Cruz Operation.

Dave Armbrust               |     uunet!pcssc!dma
PC Software Systems         |     dma@pcssc.com
4370 S. Tamiami Trail       |     Phone: (813)922-8857
Sarasota, FL 34231-3400     |

The voters have spoken, but they were wrong! - comp.unix.wizards

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (12/16/90)

In article <1990Dec14.022355.16430@pcssc.com-> dma@pcssc.com (Dave Armbrust) writes:
[...]

->

Dave - if you will look at what happens when the other groups have been
split, you will see why removing comp.unix.xenix.misc is wrong.

The group that should be removed is comp.unix.xenix and leave us with only
comp.unix.xenix.misc and comp.unix.xenix.sco.   That way you have two
separate camps to take care of the non-SCO xenix people, and you won't wind
up with nearly as much crossposting.

This is the way virtually all other group re-originizations have gone.  You
alias the top group to misc for x number of months, then remove the top
group.  See comp.sys.ibm.pc for an example.

bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (12/20/90)

According to bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion):
>The group that should be removed is comp.unix.xenix and leave us with only
>comp.unix.xenix.misc and comp.unix.xenix.sco.

The removal of comp.unix.xenix was supposed to be a done deed.

If your site still carries comp.unix.xenix, you are in the minority.
I suggest you inform your administrator that comp.unix.xenix is an
obsolete group and should be rmgrouped locally.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
"Please don't send me any more of yer scandalous email, Mr. Salzenberg..."

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (12/21/90)

In article <2770BF0B.67A4@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion):
>>The group that should be removed is comp.unix.xenix and leave us with only
>>comp.unix.xenix.misc and comp.unix.xenix.sco.
>
>The removal of comp.unix.xenix was supposed to be a done deed.
>
>If your site still carries comp.unix.xenix, you are in the minority.
>I suggest you inform your administrator that comp.unix.xenix is an
>obsolete group and should be rmgrouped locally.

How about sending out a fresh batch of rmgroup's to clean up the
groups that should have been removed with the renaming?  It should
be part of the rmgroup/renaming guidelines (are you listening, Eliot?)
that rmgroups are executed again after some time period is up to
catch any people that haven't done the alias/rmgroup thingy.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (12/26/90)

According to jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II):
>How about sending out a fresh batch of rmgroup's to clean up the
>groups that should have been removed with the renaming?

Including comp.unix.wizards?  :-) :-)  JUST A LITTLE JOKE, THERE!

Good idea.  I will issue rmgroups for comp.unix.{i386,microport,xenix}
after the first of the year, when all admins should be back.