[news.groups] comp.sys.att.3b1|unixpc|safari

jan@bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) (12/07/90)

This article is a CALL FOR VOTES to create a newsgroup within the
comp.sys hierarchy for the Convergent Technologies, Inc. systems
marketed as the AT&T UnixPC/7300/3B1, the Convergent Safari, the
Motorola Miniframe, and perhaps others...

During the discussion period, a consensus was reached to vote for
the creation of a group for these systems, and a sources group.
If successful, these groups would replace the unix-pc hierarchy.
A tangential discussion to reorganize comp.sys.att errupted during
the process but a consensus was not reached on that issue.  However,
the reorganization discussion did stir the water enough to cast some
doubts about the final resting place for this newsgroup.  Prompted by
many suggestions and the current discussions taking place within
news.groups regarding "multi-way votes", I will test the flexibility
of the guidelines and the wisdom of the net by also making this article
a CALL FOR VOTES to choose the name of the newgroups.

This posting contains a charter for the new groups, a proposal,
directions for voting, and a schedule of possible action.

PLEASE EXAMINE THE ENTIRE PROPOSAL BEFORE VOTING ON IT.

+---------+
| CHARTER |
+---------+

Discussion and support of the AT&T 7300/3B1/UnixPC, and related
Convergent Technologies and Motorola computer systems.  These
groups are to replace unix-pc hierarchy which will be suitably
aliased for a three-month transition period.  The period is
longer than usual to account for the fact that the unix-pc hierarchy
is somewhat independent in propagation from the mainstream of usenet.
This proposal allows extra time for the distribution to settle down.
After the three-month transition, the unix-pc hierarchy will be removed
from the official list of alternate newsgroups.

The newsgroup is being moved into the comp hierarchy to solve problems
with spotty distribution in North America and almost nonexistent
distribution on other continents where large numbers of these systems
are used.  Since AT&T discontinued these models and closed down the repair
facility, the net is the only means of support information for many users.
This makes the poor distribution even more worrisom for those who need this
group.  It has been suggested that the name change will also alleviate the
present and growing confusion associated with the name 'unix-pc'.

The proposal is NOT intended to encompass the discussed reorganization of
comp.sys.att.  It is not intended to promote or impair any reorganization
discussions in the future.  One dragon at a time...

The comp.sources group is for posting of sources and official patches
to these sources.  It is to be moderated to ensure that only sources
are posted, making it suitable for archiving at those sites which do this.

dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US and jmm@eci386 have volunteered to do the
moderator thing for this group.  Moderation will be "light", ie: code will
not be strenuously tested, but will be checked for suitability.  At least
two moderators would share the job.  More would be added if sufficient
interest were put forward.

+----------+
| PROPOSAL |
+----------+

Create:
------
comp.sys.???      Discussion of UnixPC/Sarfari S4/Miniframe systems
comp.sources.???  Source code *only* for UnixPC/Sarfari S4/Miniframe(Moderated)

Obviously, the above votes are the only votes that will be counted to determine
creation of the newsgroups.

Choose the hierarchy within comp.sys for the newgroup:
------
    comp.sys.???
    comp.sys.att.???
    comp.sys.m68k.???

Choose the final newsgroup designation:
------
    3b1
    7300
    miniframe
    s4
    safari
    unixpc

the end result would be something like:

    comp.sys.3b1             comp.sources.3b1
or  comp.sys.safari          comp.sources.safari
or  comp.sys.att.7300        comp.sources.7300
or  comp.sys.m68k.unixpc     comp.sources.unixpc
etc...

+---------------+
| VOTING METHOD |
+---------------+

Send votes to the mailbox "vote" on the machine "bagend".
Votes MUST be mailed.  Votes posted will NOT count.

Possible ways to address votes include:

	vote@bagend.uucp
	gatech!bagend!vote
	emory!stiatl!bagend!vote

A valid vote MUST have a "yes" or "no" vote for the "create"
section of the voting form.

For the hierarchy and name section of the voting form, there
are 3 choices:

	yes	indicates a "yes" vote
	no	indicates a "no" vote
	ok	indicates a "ok, but not my first choice" vote

This should be obvious.

If you have a "strong" objection to a group or name, vote "no".

If you have a "strong" preference to a group or name, vote "yes".

If you want a new group, regardless of the name, vote "ok" to any name
   you do not object to and "yes" on the create section.

If you do not want a new group, regardless of the name, vote "no" on
   the "create" section.

Each vote must use this form:

======== START VOTING FORM =========

create-a-group-section
----------------------
yes/no	I vote to create a comp.sys group to be named by this vote
yes/no	I vote to create a comp.sources group to be named by this vote

choose-a-hierarchy-section
--------------------------
yes/no/ok	I vote to put the group in comp.sys
yes/no/ok	I vote to put the group in comp.sys.att
yes/no/ok	I vote to put the group in comp.sys.m68k

choose-a-name-section
--------------------------
yes/no/ok	I vote to name the group 3b1
yes/no/ok	I vote to name the group 7300
yes/no/ok	I vote to name the group miniframe
yes/no/ok	I vote to name the group safari
yes/no/ok	I vote to name the group s4
yes/no/ok	I vote to name the group unixpc

======== END VOTING FORM =========

A valid vote MUST specify either "yes", "no" for the
"create a comp.sys group" vote.

Extra verbiage and/or quoting characters will be
ignored, so don't panic if you send a vote with ">"
characters still in place.

If a badly-formed vote is complete and its meaning is obvious,
I will fix it.  Otherwise, I will reply to the voter with a
form message that explains how to cast a valid vote
-- essentially, another copy of this article.

+----------+
| SCHEDULE |
+----------+

  1. Voting:
     Since the holidays are upon us, the vote will run for
     31 days from the time the Call For Votes appears in
     news.announce.newgroups, or until Monday, January 7,
     whichever is longer.

     I will post a second Call For Votes, and possibly
     a list of unreachable return addresses, during the
     voting period.  When the vote is over, I will post
     the final results.

 2.  Waiting Period:
     I will observe the normal waiting period of five
     days from the time that the final results appear
     in news.announce.newgroups.  During this time,
     people may report lost votes and/or impugn the
     fairness of the vote taker.  :-)

 3.  Consummation:
     After the waiting period, I will issue the appropriate control
     messages to create the new group(s).  About one week later,
     I will re-issue the creation control messages. After three months,
     I will consult with Gene Spafford regarding the removal of the
     unix-pc hierarchy from the alternate newsgroups list.

I have heard many pros and few cons for doing the vote this way.
Time to test the water. :)  Thanks to everyone who has contributed to
the discussion.  Thanks to Chip Salzenberg and Jeffrey Templon, who's
words I borrowed upon (lifted word-for-word) to put this together.

--
Jan Isley | jan@bagend | 404-434-1335

{..known_universe..}!gatech!bagend!jan or {..}!emory!stiatl!bagend!jan

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec7.131017.5447@bagend.uucp> jan@bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) writes:
|This article is a CALL FOR VOTES to create a newsgroup within the
|comp.sys hierarchy for the Convergent Technologies, Inc. systems
|marketed as the AT&T UnixPC/7300/3B1, the Convergent Safari, the
|Motorola Miniframe, and perhaps others...
|
|During the discussion period, a consensus was reached to vote for
|the creation of a group for these systems, and a sources group.
|If successful, these groups would replace the unix-pc hierarchy.

	This is a misstatement, at least according to
	the understanding I have of the meaning of the
	term "consensus".

	A small but significant minority (myself among
	them, natch) objected strongly to this move.

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

jan@ncar.ucar.edu (Jan Isley) (12/10/90)

[The following call for votes is probably not 100% kosher with the
 guidelines, because the vote is not yes or no.-eliot]

[...]

The good and the bad thing about drugs | home jan@bagend 404-434-1335
drugs is that they wear off. -Elliston | known_universe!gatech!bagend!jan

jan@bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) (12/12/90)

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

>In article <1990Dec7.131017.5447@bagend.uucp> jan@bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) writes:
>|During the discussion period, a consensus was reached to vote for
>|the creation of a group for these systems, and a sources group.
>|If successful, these groups would replace the unix-pc hierarchy.

>	This is a misstatement, at least according to
>	the understanding I have of the meaning of the
>	term "consensus".

rubbish.
from _Webster's New World Dictionary_ (without permission),

consensus - an opinion held by all or most, general agreement.
                                   ^^^^^^^
I say again.  A consensus was reached to vote.

>	A small but significant minority (myself among
>	them, natch) objected strongly to this move.

Like the bulk of opinions you have posted lately, Mr. Becker,
the key word here is small.  You have repeatedly declared that
you could care less what the rest of the world has to say, and
you seem quite determined to make sure that the reverse is true.
Trust me, it is working.

It sounds to me like you are challenging the validity of this
vote.  Does this mean that you are retracting your vote?
I am not sure that the guidelines provide changing or withdrawing
a vote once it has been cast.

Sounds like a new topic for news.groups.
--
Jan Isley  jan@bagend  {known universe}!gatech!bagend!jan  (404)434-1335

emcguire@ccad.uiowa.edu (Ed McGuire) (12/12/90)

In article <58824@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

     This is a misstatement, at least according to the understanding I
     have of the meaning of the term "consensus".

     A small but significant minority (myself among them, natch)
     objected strongly to this move.

What is required is a concensus among the *proponents* of a new group
proposal.  *Opponents* of a proposal such as yourself can certainly
argue their case during the discussion period, and should obviously
vote against the proposal.  But the existence of a vocal minority
opposing a new group does not justify calling off the vote.
--
peace.  -- Ed
"Over here, Bones!  This man's dying!"

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (12/12/90)

In article <58824@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
>	A small but significant minority (myself among
>	them, natch) objected strongly to this move.

Bruce's objection is probably the most compelling argument in favor of
the change that I've seen to date.

--
Karl Swartz		|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-408/223-1308		|UUCP	{uunet,decwrl}!daver!ditka!kls
			|Snail	1738 Deer Creek Ct., San Jose CA 95148
"It's psychosomatic.  You need a lobotomy.  I'll get a saw."

vote@bagend.uucp (vote taker) (12/26/90)

* This is the second post of this CFV.  The voting ends 9 Jan 1991.

[...]

     news.announce.newgroups, January 9, 1991.