[news.groups] news.software.cnews, anyone?

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec29.142103.3886@blilly.UUCP> bruce@balilly.UUCP (Bruce Lilly) writes:
>I realize that the vote for news.software.c failed a few months ago, but
>apparently some people are not aware of this. There have been a few
>postings in tha last week or so which imply this.
>
>One of the main arguments against news.software.c was the fear that many
>neophytes would think it to be a place for postings regarding the ``C''
>language.
>
>So maybe we should consider news.software.cnews, which should overcome
>that objection.

a/	news.software.cnews is sufficiently simple and
	explicit to be considered a Good Thing (TM).
b/	much as I don't like the concept of newsgroup
	proliferation it seems like it's time for this one.

I suspect that after the "waiting period" elapses, the proposal
will get more support than last time.  Personally I have no
problem with a discussion period now and a vote when the time
is appropriate, although the net.gods might deem it appropriate
to intervene.  Does anyone know how far off "6 months" is?
--
  Ed. A. Hew  <edhew@xenitec.on.ca>,  XeniTec Consulting Services
  or if you're really stuck:  ..!{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!eah

In article <1990Dec31.082711.6700@xenitec.on.ca> edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) writes:

| I suspect that after the "waiting period" elapses, the proposal
| will get more support than last time.  Personally I have no
| problem with a discussion period now and a vote when the time
| is appropriate, although the net.gods might deem it appropriate
| to intervene.  Does anyone know how far off "6 months" is?

  Since this is a diferent name, and that was a good part of the
objection, I think you can call it a new group and discuss now. That's
certainly within the spirit of the guidelines (my opinion), you're not
bringing the same thing up again, there's a major change.

  I would really like to see this happen so the people running B news,
possibly a majority of the net, could have their group back.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

ed@dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) (01/01/91)

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) writes:

 >The community seems to have spoken again and again on this issue.  If
 >you are going to do this again, please make certain that at the very
 >least you have the support of Henry and Geoff.  For better or worse,
 >their opinion seemed to have carried a lot of weight.  Perhaps what we
 >should have (after figuring out how to rename groups without pissing
 >off the world) is news.software.transport and news.software.readers.

I second the notion of news.software.transport/readers.  That would
reduce the number of groups and eliminate the need for a new group
everytime a new package comes along.

[Follow-Up's directed to news.groups]

      Ed Braaten        |  "... Man looks at the outward appearance,
Work: ed@de.intel.com   |  but the Lord looks at the heart."
Home: ed@dah.sub.org    |                        1 Samuel 16:7b

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (01/07/91)

In article <tim.662896773@holly> tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) writes:
>In <Dec.31.14.53.28.1990.18673@turbo.bio.net> lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) writes:
>
>>Perhaps what we
>>should have (after figuring out how to rename groups without pissing
>>off the world) is news.software.transport and news.software.readers.
>>--
>>Eliot Lear
>
>That would seem to be the most sensible way of dividing it. Anybody else
>think so ?
>Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
>Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

It might be sensible, but treads on a restructuring of the
news.software sub-hierarchy.  Somehow I don't think we're
really ready for that and wonder how many would really be
interested in a complete restructuring vrs a simple split.

As I understood it, the intention of the original posting was
to simply provide a discrete discussion area for c-news users
vrs bnews users.  While some have stated that bnews problems
are of interest to c-news sites, I don't really believe that.
Discussions of what's broken in bnews just don't concern me.
I'm similarily of the opinion that bnews admins aren't too
interested in the c-news patches and discussions that I _do_
want to see without having to wade through (what to me is)
irrelevent traffic.  IMHO there is now sufficient volume on
both topics to support a split.

Please note that I'm redirecting this discussion to news.groups