[news.groups] Data compression newsgroup?

  I have seen a lot of traffic in the various groups listed in the last
few months, and I'm wondering if an alt group is in order. Proposed name
is alt.archivers, to indicate the charter.

Charter:

  alt.archivers is for discussion of data compression algorithms, their
implementations, archiver programs and their file formats, and such
patent and legal issues which directly effect implementation.

  It is *not* intended for discussion of political or ethical topics,
discussion of social changes, or any other non-technical issues related
to what might or should happen in the future or a perfect world.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (01/09/91)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   I have seen a lot of traffic in the various groups listed in the last
> few months, and I'm wondering if an alt group is in order. Proposed name
> is alt.archivers, to indicate the charter.

Not a bad idea.

Awww.... Takes all the fun out of crossposting. :-)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

> I have seen a lot of traffic in the various groups listed in the last
> few months, and I'm wondering if an alt group is in order. Proposed
> name is alt.archivers, to indicate the charter.

> Charter:

> alt.archivers is for discussion of data compression algorithms, their
> implementations, archiver programs and their file formats, and such
> patent and legal issues which directly effect implementation.

> It is *not* intended for discussion of political or ethical topics,
> discussion of social changes, or any other non-technical issues
> related to what might or should happen in the future or a perfect
> world.

While I have no quarrel with creating such a newsgroup in the alt
hierarchy, I'd like to mention that part of the charter of the newly
created newsgroup comp.sys.amiga.datacomm, done with malice aforethought
to attract and focus such discussions, is the discussion of archiving
and data sharing methods, which, by their very nature, are not
restrictable to one host architecture. Such discussions as Bill
describes would be equally welcome in c.s.a.datacomm until the volume
became large enough to require a split at some future date.

Kent, the man from xanth.