[news.groups] How do you start a new group

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (01/30/91)

[Note:  I have cross-posted this to news.groups with followups directed to same
-mrc]

In article <1991Jan29.073924.23331@siesoft.co.uk> crs@siesoft.co.uk (Chris Smith) writes:

>I think that it is about time that there was a comp.graphics.pictures.

New to system, eh?  :->

Actually, there is *supposed* to be a discussion going on in news.groups
concerning the creation of just such a group.  Discussion was initiated near
the end of last year with an extend discussion period to compensate for the
holidays.  It seems, however, that discussion has dropped off.

Last I remember, David M. Read had volunteered to be moderator.  We were
discussing such things as maximum volume for the group, censorship issues, and
group name.

I looked through news.groups and news.announce.newgroups but couldn't find the
list of current discussion and voting status of groups.  Was I looking in the
wrong groups??   Anyway, I believe voting is scheduled to come up soon, as in
early February.  I think David was also the one who initiated the CFD and will
probably issue the CFV as well.

I think the biggest issue was the group name.  Rec.images wasn't supported
because many sites don't get alt.* or rec.*.  Other possibilities are
comp.images, comp.binaries.images, and comp.graphics.images.

I suppose that we should try to get the discussion going again, so people will
be aware of the upcoming vote, and vote accordingly.  I'd best go and cross-
post this to a.s.p.d as well.

When is the vote scheduled, anyway?
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid