[news.groups] comp.editors.vi

leech@vivaldi.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb01.204935.7996@convex.com>, tchrist@convex.COM (Tom
Christiansen) writes:
|> Really, a killfile line should take care of the vi talk for
|> those of you that don't care for it.  It's not as though because
|> of vi talk there can't be other stuff here.

    Really, it wouldn't.  Consider a few other articles showing up
this morning: 'Side effects of mapping', which talks about vi-specific
problems irrelevant to editors in general, and 'Function Keys (was vi
and emacs)', which is on more generic issues having little to do with
vi.
    If killfiles were so great, we wouldn't have any separate
newsgroups.  The question is whether the amount of vi-specific
discussion is great enough to warrant its own newsgroup, which a
number of people seem to believe.  I don't really understand why such
a religious vi advocate as yourself objects to having your own
newsgroup.
    This discussion is supposed to take place in news.groups, so
followups directed there.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``One never knows... Deacon now wants to conduct population

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (02/08/91)

In article <1123@borg.cs.unc.edu>, leech@homer (Jonathan Leech) writes:
>There is something which might get discussed *less*, to wit,
>flamage by rabid vi/emacs users against each other ...

This hypothesis will probably go down the drain the first time
somebody cross-posts into (the proposed) comp.editors.vi and
comp.emacs a question like

   I need to do X.  Either vi or emacs is fine.

whence follows a massive flame-fest between vixen and emacsen over
which editor is better-suited to the task.

My personal feeling is that a split is unnecessary.